GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,620
1 members and 1,619 guests
navane

Old 10-01-2011, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

@80sAST - That's what I heard. I am not working in Recruitment this year. Did not come from any person in official authority. However, the number of registered PNM's this year was about 36% above last year and above the trend from past years. Maybe that made for a volatile year?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-01-2011, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so excited - my beloved niece is going through Ole Miss recruitment. So far, so good, but wondering what this afternoon will bring. My sister-in-law is hoping, hoping things will work out with her legacy sorority.

I'm sorry, but I would prefer not to give any details live.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Haven't heard from my PNM that I sponsored since the first day -- she was very excited -- and I'm sure this week has been crazy. Fingers crossed!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
Just heard that about 65% of PNM's returned for Skit Night.
I just got home from the AOII house...I am not sure that is correct at all. They are still saying quota will be between 115-130. So, I do not believe that is correct. AOII is doing very well! I have heard ALL of the chapters are doing well too! So many pretty PNMs tonight too! I can't wait for bids to go out tomorrow! (Oh and a bunch of my rec girls were back tonight at AOII Pref!!! YEAH!)

ETA: The weather has been amazing the past couple of days! Cool, breezy, sunny! Great recruitment weather!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:50 PM

130?

Wow.

Are houses at Ole Miss equipped for such large numbers? I know that a lot of chapters have renovated/added on as classes have gotten larger, but 130 is a whole new level of largeness. lol.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
130?

Wow.

Are houses at Ole Miss equipped for such large numbers? I know that a lot of chapters have renovated/added on as classes have gotten larger, but 130 is a whole new level of largeness. lol.
Not really but all have added on in the past few years...this will put all of the chapters over 300 members. Some chapters might even be closer to 350! I saw all of the bid day bags for AOII lined up at the house tonight! So many bags and jerseys!
Old 10-01-2011, 08:57 PM

^^^I bet.

My immediate next though when I heard 130 was "that's going to be one long NM ceremony." lol.

How do you manage rituals like that? Do you have 2 separate ceremonies (ex: one Sat and one Sun?) Or one big long ritual with breaks in between? (if you can answer of course)

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I was at our new member ceremony for Alabama with 220 or so NMs this year and it really wasn't all that long. Maybe an hour?
Old 10-01-2011, 10:45 PM

^^^That's not bad. What do you do about initiation?

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I'm pretty horrified that they plan recruitment with no regard for the Jewish holidays.
I mean this with all due respect, but from the data that I was able to find regarding the percentage of Jewish students at Ole Miss, less than one-half of a percent of students are Jewish. Probably half or so of those are males. Given those numbers, it probably doesn't cross their mind to schedule sorority recruitment around the high holidays.

I can only extrapolate from growing up in Tennessee, but I didn't really meet any Jewish people until I was an adult and moved to Atlanta. (That's probably as shocking to some people on this board as it is to me when I hear the same thing about someone not having met anyone who is African American at some advanced age.) There simply weren't that many around. I know the closest synagogue was about 50 miles from my house when I was growing up. I'm pretty sure that Mississippi is pretty much in the same situation as far as the population goes.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

@ Ole Miss Glitter, I just heard the 115-130 from an official source too. This is gonna be a great year for everyone!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
^^^That's not bad. What do you do about initiation?
All in one room but several "teams", shall we say, "working" the room.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
I mean this with all due respect, but from the data that I was able to find regarding the percentage of Jewish students at Ole Miss, less than one-half of a percent of students are Jewish. Probably half or so of those are males. Given those numbers, it probably doesn't cross their mind to schedule sorority recruitment around the high holidays.
Really? I would not expect the numbers to be that small at a major university. But I really have no idea how Ole Miss is ranked academically; maybe I was giving it too much credit.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:56 AM

There was just a Frontline on about a lawyer convicted of bribery in Mississippi. Someone said "Mississippi isn't a state, it's a club." I thought that was an efficient way to sum it up.

Also I think Ole Miss is smaller than Bama or LSU.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Certainly feel free to correct me on procedure and how it must play out. From a dad perspective I paid attention to guys and my wife to the girls side but I've heard comments from members of a couple of sorority chapters that they don't intend to take 100+. Honestly, I can see it from a perspective of available space but it surprised me in that I don't really recall sororities choosing not to take quota. At these numbers? I can see it for some if it's allowed within the framework of how many came back to pref.