GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,916
0 members and 1,916 guests
No Members online

Old 02-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

In Memoriam: Bob Demarco (CAMU '66)

It is with great regret that I have to announce the passing of Bro. Robert J. Demarco (CAMU '66).

Brother Demarco, born September 2, 1939 in New York, NY, earned his BS degree from California State University, Los Angeles in 1966, and went on to earn his Juris Doctorate from the University of Southern California. While an undergrad, Bob was the founding president of the California Mu Chapter of Sigma Alpha Epsilon.

Subsequent to his collegiate carrer, and in addition to an exemplary career as a litigator, Brother Demarco found time to serve as Archon of Province Chi, and President of the Pasadena Area Alumni Association. In 2001, having entrusted Province Chi and the Pasadena Area Alumni Association to the care of his Cal Mu pledge brother, Howard Wood, Bob joined the National Office staff as Assistant Executive Director of Region IV, a territory encompassing 55 campuses in 10 provinces and across 15 states.

On Friday morning, February 10th, Brother Demarco sufferred a heart attack, and passed into Chapter Eternal at 7:30pm on Monday, February 13, 2006, at the all too young age of 66. He is survived by his wife of 37 years, Sandy, daughters Francesca and Brianna, his brother Joseph, and countless brothers in Sigma Alpha Epsilon. Few brothers in the history of our Order were more dedicated to the ideals of Sigma Alpha Epsilon than was Brother Bob Demarco.

A memorial service was held at the Levere Memorial Temple at 2pm on Tueday, February 14th. A memorial mass will also be held at 10:30am on Monday, February 20th, at St. Andrews Catholic Church, 301 North Raymond, in Pasadena, California. A Memorial Service will follow at the Westridge School, 324 Madeline Drive, Pasadena. The Memorial Service from the Ritual will also be performed, and representatives of the Supreme Council, national staff, and of the Council of Provice Archons will be in attendance.

The Demarco family has asked that in lieu of flowers that memorials be sent to the:

Robert J. DeMarco Leadership School Scholarship Fund
c/o of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon Foundation
PO Box 1856
Evanston, Illinois 60204.

Questions concerning this fund may be directed to Brother Chris Speelman at cspeelman@sae.net.

On a more personal note, though I haven't seen Bob in the last few years since my own graduation, I had the privilege of working with him during my tenure as Pledge Educator, then as Eminent Archon of my chapter. He also made possible my trip to the national leadership school, demonstrating his limitless generosity for his brothers. While I will certainly miss dear Brother Bob, I am eternally grateful for the opportunity to have been his brother in SAE.

Pledge we now the mystic token
That our bond remains unbroken,
Firm and lasting as before.
Death may veil, but cannot sever,
Love still lives and lives forever,
Strong and constant, as of yore.

Yonder in Phi Alpha's dawning,
Highest hopes and holiest longing
Shall their full fruition find.
There, with perfect bonds fraternal,
'Neath the All-seeing Eye Eternal,
Love our hearts shall closer bind.

Last edited by SAEalumnus; 02-18-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

a poignant tribute

oh, would that we have more like Bob. Brothers like him make the
word Fraternity even more meaningful.
With sympathy.