GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,296
2 members and 2,294 guests
Cookiez17

Old 03-15-2013, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

On Phi Sigma Kappa Founders' Day - the Story of Kappa Tetarton at SIUC

On Phi Sigma Kappa Founders' Day - the Story of Kappa Tetarton, Southern Illinois University - Carbondale's Chapter

The post about the Gamma Phi Beta (once Phi Mu) chapter at Dickinson made me think of this episode in SIUC fraternity history. How funny that I just read that post about the Dickinson chapter today after I posted this blog entry.

A colony of Sigma Phi Epsilon was inches away from all the colony members being initiated and then the university rescinded its support of the organization. Those men became the Kappa Tetarton Chapter of Phi Sigma Kappa. The episode is detailed in a separate chapter of the thesis. (During this time, the university president would not allow Alpha Gamma Rho to colonize because it discrimated against non-Agricultural students.)

The April 3, 1956 edition of the Egyptian reported that the Interfraternity Council had admitted Alpha Sigma to membership on a trial basis. The local fraternity had 24 members; it was founded on October 18, 1955 (Obelisk, 1959). The fraternity was interested in affiliating with Sigma Phi Epsilon. On May 7, 1956, it became a Sigma Phi Epsilon Colony.

The chapter was on the verge of becoming the Illinois Epsilon chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon when the Office of Student Affairs rescinded its permission (Obelisk, 1957). Sigma Phi Epsilon’s ordeal is chronicled in Chapter VI of this paper. The chapter returned to its former local status, this time taking the name Alpha Sigma Epsilon.

Instead of completely disbanding, the chapter decided to again pursue national affiliation. George Hand, a Sigma Phi Epsilon member who was privy to the first affiliation process, wrote a letter of support to a Phi Sigma Kappa national officer: "Since my son is a member of this group, I have been in close contact with them for more than a year, and I feel that I am well acquainted with them. I have a high opinion of the character of the group. They have given evidence that they have principles and are ready to stand by them. The group is quite active as evidenced by the fact that seventy-five percent of the members are on campus committees. The group has grown in number, in prominence, and stature on the campus, especially in this past year." (G. Hand, personal communication, 1957)

Alpha Sigma Epsilon’s petition for membership in Phi Sigma Kappa was approved in May, 1957. Davis notified Roger Gordon Bush, Alpha Sigma Epsilon’s president, that the Administration had given permission for the local to affiliate with Phi Sigma Kappa (I. C. Davis, personal communication, June 18, 1957). The first pledging ceremonies occurred in September.

Alpha Sigma Epsilon became the Kappa Tetarton chapter of Phi Sigma Kappa on November 23, 1957. An installation team from the University of Illinois chapter arrived to perform the ceremonies. Forty-one undergraduates were initiated along with three SIU faculty members and two Carbondale residents who were receiving associate status. They included George Hand, Vice President for Business Affairs; Max Turner, Assistant Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences; John Hopkins, Assistant Professor of Geography; Henry Engel and Alvy Smit (B. Lyon, personal communication, November 5, 1957). The chapter celebrated with a banquet at Engel’s and the following day it was honored at a tea at the Sigma Sigma Sigma chapter house (Obelisk, 1958).

Phi Sigma Kappa was founded in 1873 at the Massachusetts Agricultural College, now the University of Massachusetts. The official badge consists of the three Greek letters (Anson & Marchesani, 1991).

In June, 1958, a lease was signed for a house at 401 West College Street. In what remains a confusing situation the lease was entered into with “the Sigma Phi Epsilon Southern Illinois Corporation (parent corporation of Phi Sigma Kappa Fraternity), of SIU.” The members of Alpha Sigma Epsilon endured the process of becoming a national fraternity and settled into being a part of the SIU fraternity system.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-16-2013, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

What does "tetarton" mean?
Old 03-16-2013, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDAlum View Post
What does "tetarton" mean?
It's the way Phi Sigma Kappa names its chapters. It's the fourth time that Kappa was used (The second time - Kappa Deuteron, third time - Kappa Triton).