GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,391
0 members and 1,391 guests
No Members online

Old 07-11-2015, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Help Phrasing a Question

Hello everyone again! I've gotten such helpful advice the last few times I've posted questions, so here's another one!

I'm interested in joining a sorority for the sisterhood, guidance, and small-community aspect, but first and foremost, I'm attending college so that I can get a job after graduation or get into graduate school. I'd like to join a sisterhood with a healthy diversity but at the same time, finding sisters to study with and give me guidance in my major is a huge factor for me. I've researched different honors programs and organizations - some have member biographies which list sorority membership, some do not. What is a delicate and polite way of asking during recruitment parties how many sisters are in a certain program or major? I would assume that that information would be voluntarily offered at some houses but if it's not, how do I weasel it out?

I realize that talking about academics isn't as sexy as talking about crafting, funny stories, or sisterhood events, but it is really important for me. Pragmatism is like prayers: important, but awkward at parties. (Yes, my mom and I have been watching a lot of Downton Abbey).
Old 07-11-2015, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

It's okay to ask, "Do you have a lot of _______ majors here?"
Old 07-11-2015, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

You very well may be asked about your course of study which would present the appropriate opportunity to inquire.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

To reassure you - the chapters are doing their homework on the PNMs (at least the ones who have their recruitment "game" together) and they know your major if it was stated on your application (which it probably is). Don't be totally blown away if you get paired with someone who's already in your major, or who knows someone who is - etc. It's part of conversation making on the actives' side. Helps you be at ease, serves as a starting point for talking and getting to know you!

Hope this helps!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-11-2015, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ This. When I went through recruitment ("rush" back in the day) the groups asked me what my major was and then told me about their sisters with the same major. Ones which had been rushing me pre-rush in our deferred rush had me already paired with their sisters with the same major. Chi Omega even paired me with sisters with the same major AND minor as I! But that was some time ago and our pledge classes were much smaller than they are now.

Should you not find yourself paired up with anyone having your major, like Carnation, I think it would be fine to ask whether a particular group has sisters with your same major. It would certainly demonstrate an interest on your part in your field of study.

Chi Omega
Old 07-12-2015, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
It's okay to ask, "Do you have a lot of _______ majors here?"
I think the problem with this is with PCs being so large at A&M, there will inadvertently be someone with the same major and in the same honors program as I am, but how would I go about getting a sense of how many there are? I mean if I were to ask "how many of your sisters are also underwater basket weaving majors?" I wonder if that would come off too direct or I wonder if my rusher would even know the correct answer. Also for the organizations, I would think asking "do you have a lot of sisters in X Organization," "do you have a lot of sisters in Y Organization," "do you have a lot of sisters in the Z Program" in succession would come off as way too interrogative and uncomfortable. Is there a way to get a definite answer without seeming too direct? I've done a lot of LinkedIn stalking for organizations that have public membership lists but it's pretty tedious and by no means exhaustive.

Also, because A&M is a semi-large Greek school, I'm sure (okay I'm using the 's' word again, but what 18 year old isn't sure of the world?) that the rushers at all the sororities will be well-trained on talking about their study hours, study groups with sisters, etc. and paint it all in a rosy light. However, there are some houses that year over year, do very well GPA-wise and some who do not. How would I go about asking if it's the result of them 1)having a better study program than the others, 2)picking girls with "easier" majors, 3)just plain picking the PNMs with the highest GPAs? How much different can each of the different houses' academic programs be to yield such range in GPAs?

I'm curious what the difference between rush and recruitment is? I've heard the two used interchangeably in conversations.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Rush is the "old" term, which has been replaced with recruitment, but they're the same. New member is also the same as the former term "pledge" and the old "rushee" has been replaced with Potential New Member (PNM). You'll still hear the old terms used informally, or by alumnae that may not be hip to the newer terms, or who prefer the old terms.

As far as the questions, I'd avoid being too intense. It's unlikely members wil know exactly many sisters are in each major, and while they can speak to their own study hours/scholarship program, they likely won't know how it compares to other groups' programs. You don't want to put them on the spot during a converstion by grilling them with questions they can't answer. "What is your scholarship program like," and "Do you know of any sisters in my major" would be fine. Definitely don't ask if they only take "easy majors" or anything else that is potentially insulting!
Old 07-12-2015, 09:54 AM

And honestly, raw numbers will tell you nothing. Yes there might be 40 engineering majors in the chapter when you pledge, but they might all be seniors graduating in December (extreme example for effect).

You're thinking of networking through the sorority in a very very limited way. The person who gets you your first job might not be someone who had anything to do with your major, but might be someone in a major completely opposite from yours who put you in touch with people in your field of study. You'll be happier if you join a group of girls that you truly have affection for who can help you with all aspects of your life, rather than just trying to find people in the same major as you.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Just to echo 33girl, you want to join a group who can help you in all aspects of life, not just your major. And you will probably end up with several different study groups during your undergrad years. As you get to know people in your major, you'll figure out who you can work with and who has complementary skills to yours -- they may or may not be sisters.

Personally, getting advice on courses for people outside my major was just as helpful -- having someone tell me to "take Dr A for Stats he is easy and everyone gets an A" vs "take Dr B, she is hard, but you'll really learn what is needed for the future" -- very helpful. The chapters are huge at A&M, you'll have good role models who balance their social and educational lives and those people don't have to be in your major -- and they'll be some bad role models too, learn from their mistakes.

Last edited by violetgeek; 07-12-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, I think I need to clear a few things up because it seems that I'm being misunderstood here. Just because doing well in school and getting involved is my primary motivation for going to college, does not mean that it is the only criteria I'm looking for in a sisterhood. Academics just happens to be the topic for this thread so I think some of y'all are assuming that it's the only thing I'm interested in (which is untrue).

With that being said, because I'm in an honors program that takes smaller honors classes, it would be nice to know some others who have been there, done that, etc. Additionally, the organizations/programs I looked at have membership capped at a certain number. I assume I don't have to explain to you all how connections with someone "on the inside" would be beneficial during the new membership selection process. However, reading your replies, I still don't know a diplomatic way of asking if sisters are involved in certain orgs.

Of course I would want to join a sisterhood that I click with the best and one that I find a genuine connection with. However, I've never been able to make "connections" with anybody after 15 minutes of small talk. Besides, aren't houses cutting us based on superficial things like grades, involvement, looks, etc.? Why shouldn't PNMs choose (if we are in a situation to have such power, obviously) similarly? I'm not going to go through recruitment looking for checkboxes to tick off, but I would assume that academic girls have similar values and get along with academic girls, partiers and socialites hang out with other partiers and socialites, etc. I could be totally wrong, but that's what I've noticed in my HS friendship circles.

Perhaps it's just my personality, but I do prefer to know as much information as I can about something before I make a lifelong commitment to it.

Last edited by Ag_Sis; 07-12-2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Ag Sis, A&M has a competitive recruitment. Very few PNMs get to do the choosing. The sororities will do almost all of it and you choose from what's left which with RFM, may not amount to many groups at all.

You can ask all the "right" questions you want and decide that Alpha Alpha and Beta Beta would be perfect for you but if their names aren't on your invitation list once the cuts start, all that careful questioning and thinking will be down the toilet.

Last edited by carnation; 07-12-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I want to echo what Carnation said. Also, I am willing to bet that if your recommenders noted you will be in the Honors College, as I certainly do for the recommendations I write, you will most likely get paired with someone who is also in the Honors College. Even if you aren't, you can ask if any of the sisters in that chapter are in the Honors College. I don't think that would be tacky to ask. If you go in and ask it by prefacing that you are obviously concerned about academics and want to be with other girls who are "like minded" as you regarding their studies, you may come off as really pretentious. Don't go in there thinking you are smarter or better than the actives. You may find that there are sisters in every chapter at A&M who are campus leaders and scholars. Don't let that be the main thing on your mind. Sorority membership gives back what you put in. Even if you are the only Honors College sister in the chapter, that doesn't mean you can't form study groups with members of other sororities/ fraternities on campus. It's more than just letters on your chest. Once you join a sorority, you are joining more than the women of that particular chapter.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I am perfectly aware that as a PNM we have very little decision making power. But we must rank just as everyone must, and apart from finding a spark or connection, academics matter more to me than social life or being hot and pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
If you go in and ask it by prefacing that you are obviously concerned about academics and want to be with other girls who are "like minded" as you regarding their studies, you may come off as really pretentious. Don't go in there thinking you are smarter or better than the actives. You may find that there are sisters in every chapter at A&M who are campus leaders and scholars. Don't let that be the main thing on your mind.
I have already said that I want a sisterhood first and foremost, so academics are not the "main thing on my mind." I would also never bluntly ask about things like this in real life. Maybe because this is the internet so I'm being misunderstood, but I would NEVER want to portray myself as better than anyone else or make someone else feel uncomfortable, which is why I'm asking you ladies on how to politely and diplomatically pose the question so that my rusher doesn't feel uncomfortable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what a lot of you are saying is that I shouldn't worry about it. If that's the case, well, y'all are the experts, not me! I'll still go into rush with an open mind and hope that I do find that wonderful match that's best for me and trust the process. Just about a month left to go, I'm super excited!
Old 07-12-2015, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the advice you've been given is very helpful. I think we know where you're coming from, and your academic achievement and focus will certainly be valued. The message I'm taking away from the advice is that in the "rush" of recruitment parties, you're really not going to have a chance to discuss some of your questions in depth. It's going to be a whirlwind as you get "bumped" and chat with sisters for maybe 5 minutes at a time for the first round, then a bit longer for the second round. You may or may not get invited back to chapters you feel are a good fit, academically or otherwise. As much research as you do, you're still going to be caught in the whirlwind, and the sororities really have control over where you are invited each round. This is a far cry from an extended interview, or a research project. I think your last paragraph really hits the nail on the head...try not to worry.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag_Sis View Post
I have already said that I want a sisterhood first and foremost, so academics are not the "main thing on my mind." I would also never bluntly ask about things like this in real life. Maybe because this is the internet so I'm being misunderstood, but I would NEVER want to portray myself as better than anyone else or make someone else feel uncomfortable, which is why I'm asking you ladies on how to politely and diplomatically pose the question so that my rusher doesn't feel uncomfortable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what a lot of you are saying is that I shouldn't worry about it. If that's the case, well, y'all are the experts, not me! I'll still go into rush with an open mind and hope that I do find that wonderful match that's best for me and trust the process. Just about a month left to go, I'm super excited!
I don't think people are saying not to worry about your questions, necessarily, but just to be aware that you might get limited information when you ask, and that you might not have much of a choice in the end anyway.

Remember that each individual in the sorority will have a pretty good general knowledge of a lot of sorority topics, and pretty deep knowledge about a couple of topics. You may be paired with women who don't know the major makeup of the chapter, or a sophomore first-time recruiter who isn't super involved in the chapter yet, etc.

Be prepared for conversations where you find out no good information on this topic. But be able to quickly move on to other topics. If you can have several good conversations on a variety of topics, then you can more easily get away with asking another member of that chapter a similar question later on. Perhaps the first person you talk to in a chapter, you can ask her major or school activities. The next person you could outright ask your question. If both of those are no dice, then the next round you can ask a sister about their scholarship program. There's an art to conversation where you can find a lot of info without being repetitive and coming off as the single-minded PNM.

You sound like a really plan-oriented person, and situations like sorority recruitment can be frustrating because there are so many unknown variables that are totally out of your hands. Hang in there, though. Recruitment is like life - it's important to prepare as best you can, but equally as important to roll gracefully with the punches when you're not in charge.