GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,390
3 members and 2,387 guests
Cookiez17, John, Tridentia

Old 06-22-2001, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Question Advisors...

Hey all you current actives--

How do you feel about your advisors? What works? What doesn't? What would you like to see from them? What do you wish they'd stop doing?

I appreciate all input, as I hope to be an advisor soon!

Amy
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-22-2001, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

I am an advisor to my undergraduate chapter and I give them guidance more than anything. I know what it was like as undergrad and using my own personal feelings towards advisors has helped. I don't make their chapter mine. I let them create ideas and I just give them feedback, encouragement, any ideas and so forth. I am close to their ages so I get to know them on a personal level, as well as in the sisterhood. They call me about ANYTHING at ANY time of the day for someone to talk to or advice.

I know what time their classes are and when they usually eat lunch so I can have lunch with them. I do that for 2 reasons, one to get to know them and also to get to know the campus.

I wish you much luck in being an advisor. It is fun and sometimes it is stressful and takes up sooooo much of your time. But, it is worth it when you look back on it.
Old 06-22-2001, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Angry

Well, I really wish our advisors would get more involved in the chapter. They only come to our meetings when they want to complain about something, and they NEVER come to things like philanthropies or sisterhoods. Most girls don't meet them until the new member exam or initation (if that). I know the the advisors have lives of their own, but there are four of them and I would think that they could manage to rotate so that one advisor is at SOMETHING each week. Come on, that's only one event per month! While I know that the advisors care about the chapter, they should care enough about the members to be in the picture.

For a while, we had a problem getting alums to take advisor positions, but now we have a lot who would like to be involved. IMO, if you can't make the time, don't take an advisor position...let someone else who has the dedication do it.
Old 06-22-2001, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GmuTeke
For us, our chapter advisor is a grad student current at GMU, but was an active down at UTenn. Brass is a quality guy, one of the best men I've met.

I agree with littlegirl, dont make their chapter yours, but be there if they need you to be. I came to Brass during a rough time in my pledging and he helped me through.

Like Brass, i think the chapter advisor should embody the best the chapter has to offer, and be a good example to the members, and most importantly, the new members.

------------------
------------------
No funny squiggles, just bold letters: TKE
Old 06-22-2001, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Thumbs up

Littlegirlblue, I just wanted to give you total props because you're going above and beyond for your girls. Good luck to you and your chapter!
Old 06-22-2001, 10:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
I'm a regional advisor for eight chapters. Some of these groups have chapter advisors, and that's great. Unfortunately, they don't all have them, which leaves me as their advisor. I don't want to smother the women with advice, but when I notice a problem or a good deed, I let them know it. This way problems are nipped in the bud or good deeds get their props immediately. Also, if you make the chapter comfortable with you, then they are more willing to accept you. Often times, actives see advisors as "Big Bad HQ people", and that's not the point

Old 06-22-2001, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LeslieAGD:
Well, I really wish our advisors would get more involved in the chapter. They only come to our meetings when they want to complain about something, and they NEVER come to things like philanthropies or sisterhoods. Most girls don't meet them until the new member exam or initation (if that). I know the the advisors have lives of their own, but there are four of them and I would think that they could manage to rotate so that one advisor is at SOMETHING each week. Come on, that's only one event per month! While I know that the advisors care about the chapter, they should care enough about the members to be in the picture.

For a while, we had a problem getting alums to take advisor positions, but now we have a lot who would like to be involved. IMO, if you can't make the time, don't take an advisor position...let someone else who has the dedication do it.
I am so glad to hear that you want your advisors around. They may need to hear that more often. If they haven't been around in a while they may not know what events are going on so there is no way for them to attend.

Our chapter sends an e-mail out of all of the advisors - the ones that were at the latest meeting as well as the ones that weren't - just to keep everyone in the loop on what events are planned.

Although advisors should feel free and welcome to attend any event that the chapter has planned - sometimes they feel out of place or feel like you don't want them around. Make sure that they feel welcome - have a member call them to invite them to an event - or better yet - ask for their help, after all, that's what they are there for.

Keep in mind what things you are calling them about. If you are only calling them when there is a crisis, chances are, the only time they will come around is when there is a problem.

I guess to sum it all up, you may have to reach out to them and let them know that you'd like to see them more. When they do come around, make sure that members take the time to introduce themselves and always announce them at your chapter meetings. There is nothing worse than coming to a chapter event when all of the chapter women stare at you and wonder who you are and what you are doing there.

I could go on but I won't for now. Kudos to all of the chapter advisors out there that are working hard with their chapters and Kudos to all of the chapters out there that will take an extra step to work with their advisors.

Happy Friday, everyone.
Old 06-22-2001, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

The Alum group at my chapter look at it as 1- we want an advisor from the Campus, 2-an advisor who is a fellow Brother! We have advisors who are from the U. and not LXA but can be initiated as Brothers if they show the willingness to stick with us! We will not put in as an advisor a Brother who just Graduated as he is to young and to close to the Guys! We have an Alum who graduated 2 yrs. ago and keeps calling them just kids! I tell him, Hell we all were Kids while we were there! But sometimes there are Kids who work harder and get the job done! They are the ones who make a Fraternity/Soroity Keep Growing!!!!! The rest either hang on and be a number or join in and help!

------------------
Tom Earp LX Z#1
Pittsburg State U. (Kansas)
Old 06-23-2001, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AGD4life
Although advisors should feel free and welcome to attend any event that the chapter has planned - sometimes they feel out of place or feel like you don't want them around. Make sure that they feel welcome - have a member call them to invite them to an event - or better yet - ask for their help, after all, that's what they are there for.

Keep in mind what things you are calling them about. If you are only calling them when there is a crisis, chances are, the only time they will come around is when there is a problem.

I guess to sum it all up, you may have to reach out to them and let them know that you'd like to see them more. When they do come around, make sure that members take the time to introduce themselves and always announce them at your chapter meetings. There is nothing worse than coming to a chapter event when all of the chapter women stare at you and wonder who you are and what you are doing there.

How true- Working with a new chapter, we are there all the time. But they are at a point where it feel uncomfortable to be there all the time. Definately make alum feel welcome. Remember they are your Brother and Sister also whether they are young or old.

Old 06-23-2001, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via AIM to Katey Alpha Gam Send a message via Yahoo to Katey Alpha Gam
I actully have a bigger problem with the advisors than my chapter sister, Leslie. I think they are not only not there for us, they tend to play favorites and they know who they like to side with when things go down in the chapter and who they are going to ignore, or fight against. I also don't like them b/c I found out that we are supposed to vote on them and they didn't have that happen and I know a lot of alumnae that would have done a better job as advisors but didn't get it b/c of the way things were handled.

------------------
Katey, ZA chapter of AGD
"Could I have been anyone other than me?"-Dave Matthews
Old 06-24-2001, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Katey Alpha Gam:
I actully have a bigger problem with the advisors than my chapter sister, Leslie. I think they are not only not there for us, they tend to play favorites and they know who they like to side with when things go down in the chapter and who they are going to ignore, or fight against. I also don't like them b/c I found out that we are supposed to vote on them and they didn't have that happen and I know a lot of alumnae that would have done a better job as advisors but didn't get it b/c of the way things were handled.

Katey, do you have a regional or area advisor that you could go to about the situation? Not to stir up trouble for anyone, but it's very important that the chapter feel comfortable with their chapter advisors. If you feel like they are playing favorites - how can you trust them? If your national policy says that Chapter Advisors are voted on by the chapter, and yours weren't, maybe an area advisor would call for a vote to help resolve the issue.

How long do your chapter advisors serve in their positions? Our policy is for advisors to serve a two year term. They can be reappointed for many terms in a row but at least there is an "OUT" for a CA that isn't doing a good job or for a CA that wants to resign but doesn't want to "quit".

I'd find out more about the national policy regarding CA's and then make sure that policy is being followed. You may find a "legal" solution to your problem.

Good Luck!

[This message has been edited by AlphaXiGirl (edited June 24, 2001).]
Old 06-25-2001, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I have to say that a very good role model for an advisor would be the advisor for Phi Kappa Psi here at Miami University. He lives in Florida, and travels here to Ohio often since he is their advisor. He even went around to the different chapters on campus to do Rush workshops and give us ideas on how to successfully bring in more members. I also saw him at one of our philanthropies, Pledge Puddle Pull, which Phi Psi pledges were competing in. Living in Florida and coming up to in-the-middle-of-nowhere Oxford, Ohio all the time, now that is being a dedicated Chapter Advisor!

------------------
Brian Sejas
The Miami Chapter of Delta Upsilon, Est. May 13, 1868.
Old 06-25-2001, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

I feel permanently indebted to our Alumnae Chapter Advising teams. I feel that these women have helped my chapter immensely, and they are awesome role models. Even though ours have outside lives and live fairly far away, they make it to whatever they can...picnics, meetings, some have even taken Rush Week off to help us with whatever we want. They make it so easy for us to air our grievances. They have definitely inspired me to become a Chapter Advisor after graduation.

My only wish is that our Chapter Advisors lived closer.
Old 06-26-2001, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I like my advisor, but she does some things to tick a lot of us off. We are an old chapter, and we have a lot of traditions that are special to us. She always wants to change them and do stuff her chapter did. She sometimes plays favorites, and is more concerned with making numbers than getting quality girls. Yet, she is the only advisor we have who is really involved. We hardly ever see some of our other advisors.

------------------
"Seek the noblest."
Zeta Love! <3
Old 06-26-2001, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Our main advisor is so old...as in she's been with the chapter forever. She is an alumna of it to begin with and then she's been our advisor for 12 years. She's a little old fashioned. She expects us to run meeting a certain way. I appreciate everything she does for us though. I totally respect her but sometimes I think it's hard for advisors to remember that times have changed. Otherwise, since we're a commuter campus it's been pretty hard to get to know the other advisors. They pretty much just work with our executive board and sit in the back at meeting. Sometimes I wonder if they know our names. LOL.