GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,447
1 members and 2,446 guests
No Members online

Old 05-17-2005, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Trying to Build a Practice

Hello Everyone!!

I'm hoping to get some feedback and help...

I'm a Marriage and Family Therapist in Southern California. I decided to go into private practice, but I'm having a tough time ascertaining referrals that maintain into strong clients. I am accepting referrals and I've tried marketing to lawyers, churches, temples, schools and other various entities, but my phone isn't ringing.

I recognize this is a slow process, but in the meantime, I have very little income coming in. I want to hold out, as the few clients I do have remind me why I got into this field in the first place!! But if my financial ends cannot meet, then I have no choice but to look elsewhere.

The populations I work with are:
Individuals
Couples
Adolescents
The Deaf Culture
The GLBT population
Interpreters for the Deaf
Grief & Loss

Any help, feedback, marketing suggestions & referrals would be appreciated...Thanks in advance!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-17-2005, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Just an idea, but I have noticed lately that a lot of churches are having divorce recovery workshops. You could maybe leave your card or come in to talk to a group one night. Also they have premarital counseling and you could maybe get refferals from that. It's a good idea because I know that no matter how much I appreciate and respect my pastor, I am not going to talk about s-e-x with him. I am sure many people going through marriage counseling at their church would feel the same.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

starryeyed...thanks for that feedback! I'm working on that angle as we speak and trying to make connections with religious organizations already!!! Guess great minds think alike!
Old 05-17-2005, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

aww you flatter me.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi. Don't know much about private practice, but if you are looking for a relatively easy way to supplement your income, why not look for something like a Service Coordinator position? I just started this a month ago with clients with traumatic brain injury. I need to see the client minimum of once per month and "coordinate" services for them throughout the month, as well as do basic paperwork like treatment plans. The NYS reimbursement fee I get is $200.00 per month per client. It is pretty simple so far because it is just mostly follow up to make sure everything is running smoothly for them. My supervisor told me that some months become more hectic, and I will need to see them more, but what is cool about it so far is I can see them on my own time, and it doesn't interfere w/ my F/T position.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

winney...where would I look for such a "Service Coordinator" position? I've never heard of such a thing??
Old 05-17-2005, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Believe it or not I ran across the ad on craigslist. They listed it as "looking for P/T SW's, RN's, Therapists, etc.". Maybe you can find it in the yellow pages if you look up agencies that deal with traumatic brain injury. One of my friend's did this but she worked with autistic children.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
If the church has a bulletin, I think you should buy a business card sized ad. It will get your name out to hundreds of people and help you reach the population you seek.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peaches-n-Cream
If the church has a bulletin, I think you should buy a business card sized ad. It will get your name out to hundreds of people and help you reach the population you seek.
I'll look into this...my only concern is the ongoing cost of placing such an ad...with no income coming in, it's hard to spend money that I don't have...if the cost is minimal, I might be able to budget it in...THANKS!!
Old 05-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Get involved in civic organizations. If there are lots of people out there that know what you do and know that you are a good person, they will refer business to you.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 05-20-2005, 08:06 AM
Banned

You might want to try giving a one-night marriage workshop at a local YMCA or a course through adult education. Not only will you get clients through your workshops and courses, but you can also write up a news release about your classes and get some free publicity that way!
Old 05-20-2005, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AChiOAlumna
I'll look into this...my only concern is the ongoing cost of placing such an ad...with no income coming in, it's hard to spend money that I don't have...if the cost is minimal, I might be able to budget it in...THANKS!!
I know this is a scary thought, but sometimes you've got to put a little money out there in order to bring some in. Check out prices on ads and see if you can scratch together any money for one. It will probably pay for itself many times over.

Are you in network with any insurance companies? What types of advertising/referral services do they offer their in network providers? That might be an angle to check out.

I'd definitely check out what winneythepooh said about having something part time to bring income in. There shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't see patients or conduct groups part time somewhere (an inpatient unit perhaps?) or on a contract basis. I've known several MFTs/LCSWs that would take on a small caseload at a psychiatric unit, then have their own practice as well.

Is there a MFT Association that could help you out? Maybe you could network with other MFTs and work out a deal where they refer clients to you that they are unable/unwilling to work with. Unless the market is backwards in Southern California, I'm sure there are large waiting lists and huge caseloads for MFTs. Some of them might be glad to pass on some clients that they just can't get to. I would also market to Deaf population support groups, GLBT support groups and associations, and to medical doctors that might see these patients. If they are coming in for treatment and the doctors notice an issue that needs to be addressed, they can refer them to you (however, I'd make really good friends with the nurses and receptionists as well as the doctors. Usually the docs will tell one of their support staff "Can we find counseling for these people" and the staff are the ones who actually find the counselor).

Good luck with this and keep us posted!!! It's a struggle now, but it will be SO rewarding in the end!!

PsychTau
Old 05-20-2005, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what its like in California, but I know here a lot of churches will let you post on their bulletin board for free. Especially if you gave a discount on their first visit.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi PsychTau...

Thanks for your feedback...let me tell you what I've done so far in relation to what you've suggested...

Ads--I've placed ads in some of the local theatre companies currently and I have an ad coming out in the yellow pages in July.

Insurance Companies--I recently got accepted on one panel, but I'm waiting for the contract to be presented/signed. Once that happens, I think some things will change. I also applied for a 2nd company and the outcome looks good as well here.

P/T income--I've been applying to several companies for part-time work, but the turnaround seems to be taking a long time. Also many of the part-time positions are too far of a commute to logistically set up a private practice to boot. But when I see one, I jump on it!!!

MFT Association--I'm already on their "Therapist Finder." I'm also on PsychologyToday.com's directory as well. Caseloads aren't as big as one would think in CA as there are more therapists in CA than one could shake a stick at. Those that have waiting lists are the result of referrals. I have one colleague who has referred several of her waiting list clients to me, but they want to wait for her and not come to me...it happens. Also, more and more people want to use their insurance and as I'm not on any panels at the moment, they don't want to pay "out of network." I have been networking with other therapists though and I'm passing out my business cards where ever I can!!! As for the GLBT and Deaf populations...I'm already hitting the organizations that would target these populations and making contact with them....

I've also been hitting lawyers in the area who specialize in family law and mortuaries for grief/loss. So, as you can see, I've been busy!!!

Thanks for all the suggestions...if you come up with any more, let me know!! I'm always looking for more outlets!!