GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,201
2 members and 1,199 guests
Cookiez17, John

Old 09-23-2010, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Pledging as a sophomore transfer student

Hello,

I am planning on transferring next year to the University of Alabama. I plan on rushing and hopefully joining a sorority next year. I will be a sophomore next year but I am going to double major so I would really be there for 4 years. I am also 18 since I graduated a year early from high school. What are the possibilities? Any tips? Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-23-2010, 10:30 PM
GreekChat Member

This has been discussed ad nausem IIRC. I would suggest the search function.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:47 PM

I'm feeling generous:

Long, but pretty informative as to how competitive it is: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...hlight=Alabama

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...highlight=Bama

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECGirl View Post
Hello,

I am planning on transferring next year to the University of Alabama. I plan on rushing and hopefully joining a sorority next year. I will be a sophomore next year but I am going to double major so I would really be there for 4 years. I am also 18 since I graduated a year early from high school. What are the possibilities? Any tips? Thanks!
Really? You've only been in school a few weeks and are already planning to transfer?
Old 09-23-2010, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm currently attending a community college.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Based on the amount of credits that will be transferable, are you sure you will be a sophomore? I'm hoping you're selecting your classes with transfer in mind.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Have you already applied to and been accepted to the U of Alabama?
Old 09-24-2010, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hello,

I think your possibilities are just as good as the next gal IF you are prepared. I would become as active as you can at your CC and make sure you do some community service. Leadership activities are a plus. Get those grades up and keep them up. Start working on getting recommendations for all the Chapters after the first of the year. Participate in any activities Panhallenic might sponsor in the Spring. If you know any one who is Greek at Alabama see if you can go for a visit. Good Luck.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
I think your possibilities are just as good as the next gal IF you are prepared. I would become as active as you can at your CC and make sure you do some community service. Leadership activities are a plus. Get those grades up and keep them up. Start working on getting recommendations for all the Chapters after the first of the year. Participate in any activities Panhallenic might sponsor in the Spring. If you know any one who is Greek at Alabama see if you can go for a visit. Good Luck.
All of this ^.

Depending on what you're taking now, you might not be a sophomore when you transfer, but make sure you make amazing grades at your CC either way. You need recs, you need conversation skills, and you need an open mind. In the mean time, enjoy your current school!

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 09-24-2010, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
You may wish to explicitly mention that you will be on campus for four years, and you can't wait to live in the house for two of them (is two the standard on that campus?).
Old 09-24-2010, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Are you an Alabama girl or from out of state? This will factor in.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
All of this ^.

Depending on what you're taking now, you might not be a sophomore when you transfer, but make sure you make amazing grades at your CC either way. You need recs, you need conversation skills, and you need an open mind. In the mean time, enjoy your current school!

Thank you for all the responses! They help a lot! Well to update y'all, I haven't applied to Alabama yet but I know I would be accepted because my grades so far are pretty good and transfer admission at Alabama is relatively easy. I'm currently attending CC in Texas, so I know being out of state would be a factor. Also I'm taking 12 hours this semester, 3 over winter term, and 15 next semester which would be equal to 30 hours which would qualify me as a sophomore. Oh I know Mississippi State is a little different as far as rush goes, but I'm also planning on applying there. Do you think I would have a better chance of getting in there? Again thanks for the help!
Old 09-24-2010, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
You may wish to explicitly mention that you will be on campus for four years, and you can't wait to live in the house for two of them (is two the standard on that campus?).
Depends on the house and if you're an officer, but no, 2 is not standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gee_ess View Post
Are you an Alabama girl or from out of state? This will factor in.
Not necessarily. I believe OOS students had a slightly higher placement rate than in-state for the past 2 years.

Quote:
Oh I know Mississippi State is a little different as far as rush goes, but I'm also planning on applying there. Do you think I would have a better chance of getting in there? Again thanks for the help!
Getting in the university or getting into a sorority? There are fewer houses at State, but it's also a smaller school. As long as you are not determined to join only certain sororities, I think your chances of joining one at both schools are about equal.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 09-24-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thank you for all the responses! They help a lot! Well to update y'all, I haven't applied to Alabama yet but I know I would be accepted because my grades so far are pretty good and transfer admission at Alabama is relatively easy. I'm currently attending CC in Texas, so I know being out of state would be a factor. Also I'm taking 12 hours this semester, 3 over winter term, and 15 next semester which would be equal to 30 hours which would qualify me as a sophomore. Oh I know Mississippi State is a little different as far as rush goes, but I'm also planning on applying there. Do you think I would have a better chance of getting in there? Again thanks for the help!
Make sure your grades stay up. I know their requirements for admission aren't extremely high but you don't need to assume you're a shoe in. As for hours, sometimes credits do not transfer or do not count towards your major when you begin classes at a new school. Keep this in mind. If you're taking only general education classes (basic math, science, etc.) they will probably transfer, but it wouldn't hurt to look at what classes UA recommends for freshmen to make sure your classes at the CC match up to these as closely as possible. If you haven't told your adviser of your plans yet, do so when you pick your winter/spring classes.

Please, please don't pick a school based on which recruitment would be "easier". MS's recruitment isn't as large since there aren't as many sororities on campus, but I agree with AnchorAlumna that your chances are just about equal.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx