GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,470
2 members and 1,468 guests
LaneSig, Phrozen Sands

Old 03-04-2001, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Post International student

Hi y'all

One more thing ... what do you guys think about international student pledging in the greek system. Good thing or bad thing? Why? Any experiences?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-04-2001, 03:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Should not matter whether you're international student or not. we certainly had some international students in the greek system at my school.

the main reason i think more aren't involved is the greek system is fairly unknown thing outside of the U.S. and Canada.
Old 03-04-2001, 03:56 PM

Thumbs up

I think it's a GREAT thing. Not only are the members exposed to a lot of new ideas, if the students go back to their home country they may be able to drum up enthsiasm for the Greek system. And with email and the internet, once they graduate, they can still stay in touch.

Two Korean students were in one of the fraternities at my school - they were totally awesome guys!!

[This message has been edited by 33girl (edited March 04, 2001).]
Old 03-04-2001, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Thumbs up

We had several international students join our chapter when I was an undergrad (and so did some other chapters). We also had (and still have) a number of American members who study abroad for at least 1 semester. I think that everyone's experience were great for the chapter and members. One of the things my chapter tries to get involved in is "World Week" at the school... 1 year we had 3 international students all from different parts of the world (it is a small school, so that is a lot ).

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com

Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 03-18-2001, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Thats awesome to pledge if you are an international student, it's awesome if anyone pledges, so goodluck to you. It's a great experience, one you'll never forget

Delta Gamma Pi MC Sorority
One and Much Love http://www.homestead.com/deltagammapi/index.html
Old 03-15-2003, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Depends...

How are their language skills? We had a Japanese brother who was GREAT with English. He LOVED America and everything about it so we all got along great. When discussing things in chapter he would stand up and quote Confucious, etc. Maybe I'll get to visit him in Tokyo someday.

He made us look great as he was a bigwig (I think Pres) of the International Student Senate.

And then we had another Japanese fella accept a bid from us. He had gone to the same school as the gentleman I just described. Very smart guy but his English skills were sub-par. I'm afraid he didn't really understand the part where new members have to SHOW UP to events. A couple of months later and he's running for VP of the Student Body (doesn't have a prayer). I remember during Rush I was trying to talk with him and asked him what kind of music he listended to... he replied "I don't like American music".

----

How do I feel about international students as a whole? Just like anyone else, judge them on an individual basis. Just like anyone else they're going to have varying social skills... English skills are VERY important though. It's not unreasonable to expect someone to be conversational with English. Will save people from having to constantly repeat themselves, slow down, etc.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-15-2003, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by decadence
If a brother or sister studies abroad for a semester/year though does this affect the chapter make-up a lot and is it considered bad? I wondered what'd happen if you were gonna make someone an officer say (they'd make a great sister/brother) and then found they were studying abroad for a year would you choose someone else over them to be an officer, knowing that the next year they couldn't be there and you'd have to sort something else out? Though the following year they'd be back of course
That depends how large the chapter is. A 40 person chapter will obviously feel the absence more than a 190 person chapter, but I can't imagine brothers or sisters of any size chapter begrudging someone that opportunity. If they're not going to be there, well obviously they can't be an officer. It's just a choice that person has to make about what they would rather do.
Old 03-15-2003, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

International students are the same as any other student. they just happen to not live in the USA. we have 5 international students and they kick ass.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

All of our houses, minus Sig Chi, have international students, we do have an abnormally high internat'l rate for a school our size. Many are more than willing to get involved, but just like any pledge, you need them to know that they have to be at events. Sometimes the cultural barrier can make this difficult.

About actives studying abroad, again my school has about 50% students study abroad so a little higher than normal, but we have a seperate configuration for dues to take the strain off the chapter as we only have 30 actives. Right now of the 30 5 are abroad. So they pay their nat'l fees and then a 1/4 of local fees, that way they can go abroad and we can still have the support. The experience of studying abroad is so critical to liberal arts experience, we try not to hinder the opportunity.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Is it not Great to leasrn of other cultures within your own confines so to speak?

The day you do not learn, look for lilys on your casket!

Do not learn today and be stupid tomarrow! Who then is the loser? Not Them!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-16-2003, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it is a great idea! One of our best sisters is an international student. She has done so many wonderful things for our chapter.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

One of our sisters is from Columbia and she is just awesome. THe only thing that makes her situation different from the other sisters is that sometimes her accent is so heavy that we don't always understand what she says! Also, with an officer studying abroad, at our school you know you are studying abroad way in advance so if you are planning on it you aren't considered for office. No problems
Old 03-16-2003, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

hi from germany

I just wanted to say that this is funny that this is brought up here because right now i am studying abroad in germany. My chapter has been really understanding about studying here for the semester. We have lots of other sisters studying abroad this semester as well and i think its a good thing because it brings new viewpoints to our chapter and attracts a more diverse group of women
Old 03-17-2003, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

The president of one of our locals is actually an international student from Sweden, it's really kind of cool since there isn't a lot of diversity in our Greek system.