GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,534
0 members and 1,534 guests
No Members online

Old 09-01-2009, 12:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Thumbs up Article: International student finds home in a U of Iowa sorority

Great article (it also has a photo journal of the student)

A show called “Sweet Valley” inspired Bridgar Nayiga to pledge a sorority.

Except there are a few crucial differences: Nayiga is not a blond twin from California like her favorite TV characters. She is a UI freshman who arrived from Uganda a little more than two weeks ago.

Relaxing in a local coffeehouse and sipping an iced lemonade, Nayiga said moving to Iowa City is not her first foray into the United States. After several visits to extended family scattered across the country, a cousin in Minnesota recommended the UI for its actuarial-science program.

Upon her arrival in Iowa, Nayiga realized a sorority may be the best reminder of home. She comes from Kampala, Uganda’s capital city, which is packed with around 2 million residents. She grew up with 11 siblings and attended a boarding school of about 50 girls.

“Maybe I want to re-create or repeat what I had,” the 19-year-old said.

At Orientation, Nayiga met members of the UI Panhellenic Council, and her interest grew. After the application process, she was able to participate in traditional greek festivities, including rush.

Wearing her red “All Eyes on DZ” bid-day shirt, she said her favorite part of rush was dressing up and meeting her future sisters.

Although she said all sorority sisters were welcoming, she chose to pledge Delta Zeta because she felt comfortable with the members and everything “clicked.”

“The girls just made me feel like I shouldn’t look at any other option,” she said.

As the only international student to pledge Delta Zeta this year, Nayiga said joining the sorority in some ways helped her transition into university life.

“It helps her get more involved on campus and get to know a diverse group of people and enrich her college life,” said Kristen Bogusz, the vice president of new member education at Delta Zeta.

And Nayiga said the women always offer to pick her up when she gets lost, in spite of spending a fair share of her time staring at a campus map.

“I’ve gotten lost like five times now,” she said.

She’s even enjoying the food here, especially anything spicy — these meals are a big change from the relatively bland dishes in Uganda, including “matoke,” a mashed up vegetable inside a banana leaf.
Home for Nayiga is almost 8,000 miles away, which makes everything from travel to daily communication difficult. She said she has no immediate plans to head home for the holidays but must return every summer to renew her visa.

She is able to talk to her family about twice a week, but that costs $20 for three hours.

Fortunately, a scholarship from Steel and Tube Industries in Uganda covers her tuition. She also receives a monthly allowance from her parents, which she is saving to pay for her sorority dues.

She said her mother and father support her joining a sorority, but they have plenty of questions about the unfamiliar concept.

“They were most surprised that the girls actually lived together in a house,” she said.

For now, Nayiga said, she will focus on finding a job and recovering from cultural shock, such as the sight of short skirts on campus. And she looks forward to another new experience: American football.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Very cool and good for her! Hopefully the GC stalkers don't go find her and tell her to join GC.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Was that last sentence really necessary?

That's pretty awesome though. We had a few international students join my chapter, but I never got to meet them (i'm sure you did Jill). I wish the international students here that go to the university here would think about joining, but as far as I know, there isn't much interest.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
^^^ Was that last sentence really necessary?

That's pretty awesome though. We had a few international students join my chapter, but I never got to meet them (i'm sure you did Jill). I wish the international students here that go to the university here would think about joining, but as far as I know, there isn't much interest.
If we're asking rhetorical questions here, I don't know, was it? Last time I checked we're allowed to say what we want, but thanks for monitoring my posts. I appreciate it.