GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,524
1 members and 1,523 guests
No Members online

Old 12-11-2011, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing at UGA as an international student

Hi guys,

I'm very new to all thinks Greek, since I have just transferred to UGA, from France. I've tried my best to lurk around here and read up/find out as much as I can about Greek life, but still if I say/do anything that's a no-no around here, please forgive me in advance.

Now that that's out of the way,

Like I said, I just transferred to UGA this semester, and my knowledge of the Greek system was pretty much non existent before I came. However, I've gotten to know a couple of guys and girls in the system, and how it functions etc.

Long story short, I've learned about the networking opportunities, the leadership opportunities, the experience and other various facts like a mind-boggling number of CEOs of top companies being Greek; and I feel like I want to give rushing a try. I'll be a junior, but I still have a few houses in mind and want to try, so I've just signed up for Spring Rush.

Here's the thing though, I was looking at all the fraternities in the IFC, and all the brothers seem predominantly from the same background - caucasian and southern, and I'm neither.

I know there are multicultural fraternities at my school too, but I've hung out with them and honestly didn't feel like we all got along.

So my question is this(and hope I don't sound like a total noob):
Is the reason for this lack of diversity that IFC fraternities actively don't accept Asians/Indians/Latinos? Or is it because there aren't any Asian/Indian/Latinos rushing in the first place?

Also, I'd be very grateful if you guys could suggest some houses that would be more open to someone from my background, so I could maybe focus on them. (I know TKE is an international fraternity for example)

I won't ask you to tell me which ones I should stay away from obviously, because then this might turn into a racism flame war.

What do you guys think?

Also, any tips/suggestions on rushing would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance!

CSGa
Old 12-11-2011, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

From what I have seen, most of the people in these groups do not rush. People who rush go to find a group they can relate most with, or have the most fun with. Personally, I joined mine because of religious brotherhood. Are there people not of my religion in the chapter? Yes, but very few. They just don't have as much interest. Same goes for Asians, Blacks, etc.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Historically, most NPC/IFC groups had clauses against accepting minorities of any sort. I don't believe any of them do, any more, but you can't just erase that sort of thing in a single generation.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Historically, most NPC/IFC groups had clauses against accepting minorities of any sort. I don't believe any of them do, any more, but you can't just erase that sort of thing in a single generation.
I think we are beyond one generations since most chapters that dopped the clauses did so in the 50s and 60s.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

You're going to have to look around. Can't really just recommend one to you. Search around and find one that you like, and that will take you. We took a guy from Brazil so it is possible.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSGa View Post
Also, I'd be very grateful if you guys could suggest some houses that would be more open to someone from my background, so I could maybe focus on them. (I know TKE is an international fraternity for example)
I always at this. Having chapters in Canada is such a weak way of calling yourself international.

I am confident to say every NIC fraternity has a member (alum) living abroad in some form, so technically all are international. It's the actual school you're going to that matters more than the chapter you join. This is a huge generalization, but Southern Schools will more likely than not lack the diversity in NIC fraternities that you will find at Northern and West Coast schools.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I haven't posted but I've been checking back here every so often.

I was at one of the houses yesterday and it was a blast. The guys all introduced themselves, gave me a tour, we played some poker, and then they insisted on giving me a ride home. They were all really chill and cool. Although I'm planning to look at a couple of other fraternities as well, I really liked hanging out with these guys, and they said we'll probably do something again on the weekend, so I'm looking forward to checking that out.

If you guys still have any tips or any houses I should check out, let me know! Hope you all had happy holidays!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

most of us are alumni of our greek organizations and school(meaning we have graduated) and many of us are not in georgia. even if we were, we do not recommend or comment on a particular group-what is attractive or a good fit for one person, will not be for the next. in addition, even if the poster really likes a group and wants to hear opinions, the group may not think he/she is a good fit, so our opinion would not matter anyway.

we always advise that those seeking membership in a greek letter organization keep an open mind, visit as many groups as he/she can, and look for the place where they feel the most at home.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
most of us are alumni of our greek organizations and school(meaning we have graduated) and many of us are not in georgia. even if we were, we do not recommend or comment on a particular group-what is attractive or a good fit for one person, will not be for the next. in addition, even if the poster really likes a group and wants to hear opinions, the group may not think he/she is a good fit, so our opinion would not matter anyway.

we always advise that those seeking membership in a greek letter organization keep an open mind, visit as many groups as he/she can, and look for the place where they feel the most at home.
Gotcha

They just called me over to hang out again tonight, hope everything goes well! Thank you for the wishes AmIblue!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope everything works out for you! Good luck!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

that sounds promising CSGa. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2012, 11:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks once again for the wishes you guys!
I was there again yesterday, and had a blast again.

At one point, one of the guys told me to not start the next game of pong and wait for a second. Then I was led up to a room with 4 of the brothers, and they sat me down, and extended me a bid.

When I came back out everyone was shouting my name and congratulating me and coming to give me a hug. It was such a great feeling!

I've planned to check out other fraternities as well, but this one feels pretty awesome.

...now I only have to convince my parents who have never heard of Greek life to help me with the costs. Which will not be a simple task at all
Old 01-14-2012, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSGa View Post
Thanks once again for the wishes you guys!
I was there again yesterday, and had a blast again.

At one point, one of the guys told me to not start the next game of pong and wait for a second. Then I was led up to a room with 4 of the brothers, and they sat me down, and extended me a bid.

When I came back out everyone was shouting my name and congratulating me and coming to give me a hug. It was such a great feeling!

I've planned to check out other fraternities as well, but this one feels pretty awesome.

...now I only have to convince my parents who have never heard of Greek life to help me with the costs. Which will not be a simple task at all
The bid room is always an exciting experience. I'm glad you were able to experience it, as well as the Rim Rush.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:16 PM

Best of luck. When you decide to accept a bid, let us know.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations!!! Good luck with your parents.