GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,532
1 members and 2,531 guests
No Members online

Old 12-01-2004, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Lambda Chi Suffers Severe Burns

Just another reason to remind people to be careful: third-degree burns, "skin hanging off his fingers, chest, stomach, side and back," according to the news story. Hope it's true that the burns are not life-threatening. Sad for the student, his family, and his brothers, especially in the holiday season.

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/talla...l/10311775.htm
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-01-2004, 12:33 PM

There are a number of threads on fires in greek housing. It's one of the bigger Risk Management problems we face.

Burns are ugly. Best wishes to the recent victim of this accident.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Incident involves alcohol, oil lamp

Student burned at frat
Incident involves alcohol, oil lamp

By Joe Johnson
joe.johnson@onlineathens.com

A 21-year-old University of Georgia student was severely burned early Tuesday during a UGA fraternity drinking ritual that went terribly awry, Athens-Clarke police said.

William Flynn Miller IV was engaged in a drinking rite inside the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity house at 990 S. Milledge Ave. involving 190-proof grain alcohol and a lighted oil lantern at about 3:20 a.m. when his clothes burst into flame, severely burning his upper torso, according to police.

Jay Sammons, the fraternity's outgoing president, said in an interview he did not witness the incident because he was in his room at the time. He said a meeting was to be held Tuesday night to discuss what had happened.

He said Miller, a senior from Savannah majoring in forestry and known to friends as "Flynn," suffered second-degree burns over 20 percent of his body.

According to police, however, Miller had suffered third-degree burns to his upper torso and hands, but his injuries did not appear life-threatening.

Initially taken to Athens Regional Medical Center, Miller was later flown by helicopter to the Augusta Medical Center, where he was being treated in the hospital's burn center, a hospital official said.

Fraternity members interviewed at the scene shortly after the incident claimed the fire had not resulted from a hazing ritual, according to police.

"My understanding is they were having some type of activity that involved grain alcohol," police Capt. Mark Sizemore said.

Sammons said the accident occurred during "Senior Night," in which those preparing to graduate take turns addressing the fraternity, sharing remembrances of having belonged to Lambda Chi Alpha.

"Drinking's not required" as part of Senior Night, Sammons said.

"People bring beer and stuff, but as far as it being a rule, no one ever says you need to drink," he said.

Sizemore said despite the severity of his burns, Williams was conscious and able to speak with a detective who went to the Augusta hospital to interview him.

"We're following up to make sure nothing criminal in nature took place and to make sure these types of accidents don't happen again," he said.

According to interviews with fraternity members, the room in the frat house where the ritual was being performed was in darkness, save for the light from an "Aladdin style" oil lamp that sat atop a podium next to a bottle of Everclear, which is 95-percent pure grain alcohol, police said.

One 22-year-old fraternity member said he had been standing behind the podium as other members took turns drinking shots of the powerful liquor, according to police, and "he said someone came from his left and was taking a shot or pouring, and Mr. Miller came from the right. The frat member said somehow the alcohol ignited and Mr. Miller was surrounded by a ball of fire."

Fellow fraternity members put out the flames with a fire extinguisher, police said.

According to one statement, the fraternity members "were not hazing," as "everyone had been initiated a couple of weeks ago," according to police.

When officers arrived on the scene, the floor of the frat house was littered with cans and bottles of beer, folding chairs were scattered about and the odor of burned hair lingered in the air.

Miller was found on the floor, and although conscious, skin was hanging off his fingers, chest, stomach, side and back, police said.

"Mr. Miller said they were drinking and had been horsing around, and somehow - while next to an open flame from a lamp - the liquor ignited and caught him on fire," according to a police report.

One source knowledgeable about the incident, who asked to not be identified, said that Lambda Chi Alpha traditionally engages in a drinking ritual while playing the Steppenwolf rock song "Magic Carpet Ride," which makes mention of Aladdin's lamp.

The lyrics go, in part:

"Last night I held Aladdin's lamp

And so I wished that I could stay

Before the thing could answer me

Well, someone came and took the lamp away

I looked around, a lousy candle's all I found."

Sammons denied his fraternity engages in such a rite.

UGA spokesman Tom Jackson said the university was investigating the incident.

"Obviously, our student affairs people were called to the scene early this morning, and our first concern is for the well being of Flynn," Jackson said. "Clearly, our student affairs officials will get to the bottom of this and take any action which is appropriate."

Tuesday morning's accident marked the second time in recent years that Lambda Chi Alpha has been in the news as the result of an alcohol-related tragedy.

In April 2003, 19-year-old Travis F. Starr of Martinez died several days after falling from a pickup truck while being driven home from a night of drinking in downtown Athens bars. Fellow Lambda Chi member Brett Steele, who was driving the truck, was charged with first-degree homicide by vehicle, a felony, and in March a Clarke County Superior Court jury convicted him of misdemeanor charges of second-degree vehicular homicide.

Steele was sentenced to 30 days in jail, to be followed by one year on probation, but the sentence has been stayed because an appeal is still pending.

Also in 2003, Phi Kappa Psi member Erik Robert Zimmerman, 20, was charged with animal cruelty for shooting a raccoon on his fraternity house's property on Dec. 12. Although not charged, one other fraternity member skinned the dead animal, and a third cooked and ate a piece of the animal's flesh.

Zimmerman, who has undergone a battery of psychological testing, is still awaiting trial in Clarke County State Court.

Three years before that, in March 2000, 20-year-old Ben F. Grantham III, a member of the UGA chapter of the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity, died during a hazing incident that ended in a fatal wreck in Oconee County.

Handcuffed and blindfolded in the cargo hold of a sport-utility vehicle, Grantham died when the SUV crashed at high speed on Elder Mill Road.

As a result of the tragedy, Alpha Tau Omega voluntarily disbanded, and four former members pleaded guilty to charges ranging from vehicular homicide to involuntary manslaughter, receiving sentences ranging from five years on probation to 100 hours of community service.

Seven months later, UGA lodged university hazing complaints against five fraternity members found conducting a secret induction ritual on Athens roadways after police found three fraternity members riding in an SUV with two blindfolded fraternity members in the cargo hold. Three of the men were members of Kappa Alpha fraternity, one belonged to Sigma Chi and one was a Lambda Chi Alpha member.

Published in the Athens Banner-Herald on Wednesday, December 1, 2004
Old 12-01-2004, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Answered this on another Thread.

Okay, if this happened, but what did it have to do with any other Greek Organization?

This is never part of Our Ritual along with the song and music that was mentioned.

LXA Ritual is strictly written and followed. There is NO Alchohal allowed, We do not need it at the Ritual is to important from the meaning of what it is. Doesnt need Booze to make it important. I have been through it and have been there many times to witness it.

Okay, maybe there were candles used. Could there have been an accidental fire with out all of the Hoopty Do that was placed in this post?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-01-2004, 06:21 PM

I suspect that the uninitiated -- no pun intended -- are using the word ritual differently than we do. They're probably talking about any ongoing activity -- not an initiation ritual.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

From one Tom to another Tom.

That could be so true.

Ignorance is not a purity, but a lesson to be learned.

Yes, Ritual, is something that is done to show what an important part of becoming a Member of a Group is what Their Fraternity is all about.

Maybe My Idea of Ritual is different from others?

But for many of Us, it is not other than what I said!

My signs are my signs and know one elses.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 12-01-2004, 09:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Re: Lambda Chi Suffers Severe Burns

Quote:
Originally posted by exlurker
Just another reason to remind people to be careful: third-degree burns, "skin hanging off his fingers, chest, stomach, side and back," according to the news story. Hope it's true that the burns are not life-threatening. Sad for the student, his family, and his brothers, especially in the holiday season.

http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/talla...l/10311775.htm
I'm just glad He's okay. hope he has a speedy recovery.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 12-01-2004, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Garth, Hey Bro, thanks for your caring and thoughts.

I dont know personally where some of these things came from, but not any Chapter I know of.

There seems to be a lot of alligations being bantied about. I want to see what really happened.

I know of No LXA Ritual that includes Alcohol.

I too mourn the situation that happened especially to this young Brother! I am in hopes that He recovers to the fullest!

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 12-01-2004 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Update, Dec. 3

Police investigate burn incident for criminal intent

By PURVI PATEL
Published , December 03, 2004, 06:00:01 AM EDT

Athens-Clarke County Police say although they think a University student was severely burned by accident during a fraternity event, they will continue to investigate for criminal intent.

Capt. Mark Sizemore of the ACC Police said in a phone interview Thursday police will interview Lambda Chi Alpha members again to find out how William Flynn Miller, a senior from Savannah, was burned during the fraternity's senior night.

"The fire department will be looking at it," he said. "We just want to review what occurred and make sure nothing occurred of a criminal nature."

Miller suffered third degree burns on 20 percent of his body when a bottle of Everclear was ignited by an open flame near where he stood in a room at his fraternity house early Tuesday morning.

He underwent surgery Wednesday at an Augusta burn unit, and is expected to be sent home Friday.

Jay Sammons, outgoing president of the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity, said he spoke with hospital officials in Augusta who informed him there has been no change in Miller's condition.

University and fraternity officials also are continuing their own investigations on the accident.

Claudia Shamp, associate dean of student affairs at the Greek Life office said her office is working to resolve the matter.

"We are collecting information at this point and are working collaboratively with the local chapter and fraternity national organization and the University," she said. "Obviously this is just a terrible accident, and our thoughts are with the young man."

Ben Bullock, president of the Interfraternity Council and a senior from Atlanta, said his organization is waiting to see how Miller is recovering.

"Our first concern is whether he is going be OK," he said. "We're looking into the whole situation to see if any action should be taken."

Bullock said IFC's judicial board has different repercussions that apply to different situations.

"We do know that there was no hazing involved, as everyone was initiated a couple of weeks ago," he said.

Betsy Bly, director of publications for Lambda Chi Alpha, said from their international headquarters in Indianapolis, Ind. that they have yet to receive a copy of the police report of the incident.

The Lambda Chi Alpha office will soon release a new statement about its thoughts and follow-up action of the incident, she said.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Quote:
Originally posted by DeltAlum
I suspect that the uninitiated -- no pun intended -- are using the word ritual differently than we do. They're probably talking about any ongoing activity -- not an initiation ritual.
Absolutely dead on. Unfortunately, for the uneducated masses about greek/fraternal life, this is the formula they understand:

Ritual = Hazing

And it's so sad, when you really think about it. Initiation rituals for all orgs, even Moose, Elk, Masonic...get wrapped under this hasty generalization.

We all know better - the initiation rituals are not hazing, they are definitely inspiring moments in individuals lives, and, if done right, changes individuals lives for the better.

I guess it's part of the "if it bleeds, it leads" mentality the press uses to consider what to put in the news, and how to describe it.

Then again, we also need look in the mirror, for if we weren't doing some of the stupid things we do, there wouldn't be news or distorted news about it.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

No laws broken

No laws broken in frat fire, officials say
Lambda Chi Alpha

By Joe Johnson
joe.johnson@onlineathens.com
12-16-04

A University of Georgia fraternity did not break any laws, nor did it appear members violated university regulations, when they held a ceremony involving hard liquor and an open flame in which one member caught fire, county and UGA officials said.

Members of Lambda Chi Alpha still could face sanctions for the accidental fire that last month severely burned 21-year-old William Flynn Miller IV, a UGA official said, but it appeared more likely the South Milledge Avenue-based student group will simply have had a hard-earned lesson on responsible drinking and fire safety.

"We have had some brainstorming done to work on a plan of action for the fraternity to address this particular situation and put things into place that will ensure something like this won't happen again," the UGA associate dean for Greek life, Claudia Shamp, said Tuesday. "I would imagine a lot of the plan will center on alcohol education, but nothing's definitely been outlined."

Although not located on campus, Lambda Chi Alpha is a registered student organization, which must therefore comply with a code of conduct.

The incident that left Miller with second-degree burns occurred during "Senior Night," when fraternity members gathered in a darkened room to hear remembrances of those preparing to graduate. Each UGA senior spoke from a podium, on which sat a brass oil lamp and a bottle of Everclear, a 190-proof grain alcohol.

According to fraternity members and police, at about 3:30 a.m. Nov. 30, Miller approached the podium and somehow the alcohol came in to contact with the flame, causing his clothes to catch fire. Other students put out the flames with a fire extinguisher and doused Miller with water and applied ice.

Athens-Clarke police officers reported finding the floor of the frat house littered with cans and bottles of beer, folding chairs were strewn about, and a half-full bottle of Everclear was in a trash can.

One frat member told officers "they were drinking and had been horsing around, and somehow, while next to an open flame from a lamp, the liquor ignited and caught (Miller) on fire."

A police report stated one 22-year-old frat member was standing behind the podium as others took turns drinking shots of the powerful liquor, and that "someone came from his left and was taking a shot or pouring, and Mr. Miller came from the right. The frat member said somehow the alcohol ignited ,and Mr. Miller was surrounded by a ball of fire."

Miller, a Savannah resident, was flown for treatment at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital in Augusta, and was later released.

Police ruled the incident an accident, and Clarke County Fire Marshal Johnny Pritchett said no fire codes were violated.

"Last Friday I went and looked at the lamp, and there wasn't a violation with it," Pritchett said. "It was legal to have."

Although no county violations were found, the university continued to look into the incident, but the UGA probe probably will not be concluded until after the spring term begins in mid-January, Shamp said.

If any violations of the code of student conduct are found, Shamp said, UGA's Office of Judicial Programs would convene a tribunal composed of an administrator and two students to determine sanctions, which could range from reprimand to expulsion.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

hoosier, thank you for posting this.

AS a LXA, We do not do
anything like this in my Chapter and can only hope it isnt done in any others, but it seems to have been done.

Accidental yes, wrong yes, stupid yes. I am sure there will be sanctions by the IHQ. It is always sad to hear about any thing like this happening to any Greek Organization.

My Heart goes out to This Brother as it would for anyone in the same situation.

LX Z # 1
Alumni

Last edited by Tom Earp; 12-16-2004 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Not all burns are a direct result of contact withe fire. At my school a pledge was burned from having to stand too near a fireplace for too long. He never actually caught fire or touched the fire.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to RACooper
Quote:
Originally posted by epsilon99
Not all burns are a direct result of contact withe fire. At my school a pledge was burned from having to stand too near a fireplace for too long. He never actually caught fire or touched the fire.
Okay I gotta ask... why did the pledge "have" to stand near a fireplace for so long that he got burnt? Cause as it stand right now that sounds like hazing and/or stupidity...

"Cave ab homine unius libri"