GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,416
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ElvaLauren
» Online Users: 653
2 members and 651 guests
Ilene76V74, LynCheesem

Old 11-07-2005, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to the1beauty
"national" is not an option...

Just so it's known, Kappa Alpha Gamma Sorority, Inc. cannot and willnot be absorbed by some larger "national" sorority...it wouldn't make sense because no other sorority is truly like us.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------well, I know it's been a VERY short while since this post was started, but the "obstacles" we face now are a bit different:

We're already incorporated. We've got sponsors, the tax-exempt status, all that good official stuff.

The only issues now are

1) Joining the Multicultural Greek Council at our universities (which will be a relatively pain-free process). But we can't do that until next fall semester when they do expansion...

2) Gaining membership. Being unofficial with the universities, we're not allowed to blatantly advertise on campus (i.e. post banners/flyers, put ads in the newspaper unless we pay for them...), but we can pass around flyers and invites.

We have many events planned, but need to find clever ways to advertise these events without breaking the rules too much...

If anyone has any clever ideas, feel free to share them
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-07-2005, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jubilance1922
Ok, so here's a follow-up question: What makes your org unique? Do you only allow Christians (since you've already mentioned that your org will not discriminate based on race)? Since each of the NPHC sororities were founded on Christian principles and are "aiming for the betterment of the Black community", how are you going to differentiate yourself?
it doesn't matter if the candidate for membership is christian or not, black or not, just as long as they're willing to promote what we stand for, and work towards our goals.

And I know ALL about the Divine 9...after YEARS of researching which Divine 9 sorority we each wanted to join and reading "The Divine 9", we discovered we didn't want to be apart of it. See, what you're founded on, and what goes on today are two different stories. I have MANY examples of how far Divine 9 organizations have come from where they began...and I'm not talking about evolving in a good way.

And I don't see any Divine 9 frat or sorority promoting Christian values on any of our campuses, unless you want to count the prayer our Alphas say at the beginning of SOME of their events (not the parties...just the lecture type events).
Old 11-07-2005, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Going off topic for a bit, I have some questions for anyone who's in a Divine 9 sorority or fraternity:

How do you feel about the evolution your organization has taken? Meaning, the course your founders set and the way your organization is viewed and represents itself today...

Also, what is the deal with the division among so many of the divine 9 organizations?
Why is it that at every frat party and step show I've been to, the Ques and Kappas have to fight (Ques and Kappas from all over this big ol' state of Texas, not just my campus lone)?
Do the AKAs and Deltas know why they've been in a rivalry all this time (I know...I just get the feeling they all don't know, and are just acting snooty and bitchy toward each other because that's they way it's always been)?
Why is it that on most campuses in my area, the Iotas and Sigmas are discounted...as are the Zetas (I've actually heard people from other Divine 9 organizations say "They ain't a real frat..." or "Zetas are rejects from other sororities")?
What happened to rites of passage? Why is it that when I was going to pledge a Divine 9 sorority (I'm not naming names), all I had to do was sign some papers and hand over $800...and yes, that was all there was to it.

Now, after all that can anyone see why my friends and I felt the need for a little something new??
Old 11-07-2005, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by the1beauty
it doesn't matter if the candidate for membership is christian or not, black or not, just as long as they're willing to promote what we stand for, and work towards our goals.

And I know ALL about the Divine 9...after YEARS of researching which Divine 9 sorority we each wanted to join and reading "The Divine 9", we discovered we didn't want to be apart of it. See, what you're founded on, and what goes on today are two different stories. I have MANY examples of how far Divine 9 organizations have come from where they began...and I'm not talking about evolving in a good way.

And I don't see any Divine 9 frat or sorority promoting Christian values on any of our campuses, unless you want to count the prayer our Alphas say at the beginning of SOME of their events (not the parties...just the lecture type events).
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I know you don't have to answer squat, so again thanks. Also, if you're more comfortable taking it this to PM, pleae let me know.

You stated earlier...

Quote:
If this is the case, how is your sorority any different than one founded upon Christian principles - as opposed to being a sorority of Christian women caring out the mission of Christ into the African American community? I ask because I checked out your website ( ) and the Apostle's creed is listed as your statement of faith - but your members don't have to believe in it nor the fundamental elements of Christianity (ie Jesus as the Son of God, etc.) . I may be biased, but when someone says Christian sorority - I think of women of who believe in Christ and all the responsibilities it entails.

There is a major difference between Christian-inspired (ie D-9 sororities)and Christian-based. (ie Sigma Phi Lambda). Really focus on that which distingushes you from what's already there.

Just something to think about.

Last edited by Honeykiss1974; 11-07-2005 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to crystalofvirtue
Speaking as the founder of a Black Christian Sorority, I would have to agree with KAG. There should be more Black Christian Sororities and Fraternities. Who says that there should not be united front. Alpha Omega stands on the principles of embracing Greek Life but remaining true to you Christian beliefs and not compromising your spiritual values. Alpha Omega is a sisterhood of "True Women of Virtue" and yes we are united. The division amongst most sorority is phenominal and our goal is to bridge the gap. You asked KAG what make them unique. I believe its the inclusion of God and the ability of making Him the foundation, which will make them stand above typical Sororities and Frats.

When I started Alpha Omega I experienced this same controversy so I can't say I am surprised at the negative and constant patronization.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crystalofvirtue

When I started Alpha Omega I experienced this same controversy so I can't say I am surprised at the negative and constant patronization.
I'm not arguing whether they should or shouldn't exist.

I am asking what makes it moreso "christian" than any other sorority besides the fact that the word christian was in the sorority's name - especially now since learning that members do not have to be Christian, nor profess a belief in Christ (or the Apostle's creed which is the sorority's statement of faith), or anything.

I'm sure this is nothing 1beauty hasn't heard before and probably will hear again from potential members seeking to know the difference as well.

Last edited by Honeykiss1974; 11-07-2005 at 05:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. I know you don't have to answer squat, so again thanks. Also, if you're more comfortable taking it this to PM, pleae let me know.

You stated earlier...

If this is the case, how is your sorority any different than one founded upon Christian principles - as opposed to being a sorority of Christian women caring out the mission of Christ into the African American community? I ask because I checked out your website ( ) and the Apostle's creed is listed as your statement of faith - but your members don't have to believe in it nor the fundamental elements of Christianity (ie Jesus as the Son of God, etc.) . I may be biased, but when someone says Christian sorority - I think of women of who believe in Christ and all the responsibilities it entails.

There is a major difference between Christian-inspired (ie D-9 sororities)and Christian-based. (ie Sigma Phi Lambda)

Just something to think about.
To answer your question, I will say this:

We're required to have a non-discrimination policy. That is why I MUST say that we don't discriminate on the basis of race or religion, or else our universities would definitely not support letting us into the multicultural Greek council. It's as simple as that, but we are Christian-based.

But I LOVE these types of discussions...they only reinforce in my mind that helping found KAG was a good thing to do
Old 11-07-2005, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crystalofvirtue
Speaking as the founder of a Black Christian Sorority, I would have to agree with KAG. There should be more Black Christian Sororities and Fraternities. Who says that there should not be united front. Alpha Omega stands on the principles of embracing Greek Life but remaining true to you Christian beliefs and not compromising your spiritual values. Alpha Omega is a sisterhood of "True Women of Virtue" and yes we are united. The division amongst most sorority is phenominal and our goal is to bridge the gap. You asked KAG what make them unique. I believe its the inclusion of God and the ability of making Him the foundation, which will make them stand above typical Sororities and Frats.

I couldn't have said it better. But all Christian BGLOs will prevail...the more questions we are able to answer sincerely and to completion, knowing that what we've set out to do it something that will benefit not only ourselves, but our communities and our aim to live Christian lives, the stronger we will be
Old 11-07-2005, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
To answer your question, I will say this:

We're required to have a non-discrimination policy. That is why I MUST say that we don't discriminate on the basis of race or religion, or else our universities would definitely not support letting us into the multicultural Greek council. It's as simple as that, but we are Christian-based.

I see

Even though I firmly believe that the body of Christ is divided enough as it is, good luck nonetheless.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974
I see

Even though I firmly believe that the body of Christ is divided enough as it is, good luck nonetheless.
Like I've said before, we're just working within the divisions society created long before either you or myself existed.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jubilance1922 Send a message via Yahoo to jubilance1922
Quote:

Thank you for answering the question. I think that any organization, whether fraternal, religious, civic, etc will have an evolution throughout the years. Nothing in this world remains static, everything changes or it dies. With that said, I sense that you have had some negative experiences with NPHC orgs. You shouldn't let the experiences you've had with a few people influence your judgement of the entire NPHC, which has thousands of members. Every organization has had to adapt and grow as the years went by, and some changes were better than others. But I look at how much these orgs are doing for the community, and the fact that they have survived for almost 100 years. To me that is a testament to the fact that these organizations are needed, and there is still a segment of the community that sees a value in being a member of these orgs.

As for the orgs promoting Christian ideals, I know many NPHC members who aren't Christian. For example, none of my line sisters or I are Christian. Yet we still saw a value in joining this organization.

Based on your other responses, I have another question: How will you be incorporating your Christian-base into your programming? Bible study? Prayer groups?
Old 11-07-2005, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jubilance1922
Based on your other responses, I have another question: How will you be incorporating your Christian-base into your programming? Bible study? Prayer groups?
KAG has a lot of great things in the works...we are still quite new, but our first activity will likely be commmunity service at a local children's hospital in the coming weeks.

We are working on a Women's Bible Study group, seminar/luncheon entitled "Essence of a Lady", and an exercise group for any woman on our campus that wishes to join us (these 3 are all part of our "Christian Womanhood" philanthropy). Also, we have the Onyx Man Show (more like a pageant or competition, with a scholarship prize), a praise dance step show, and gospel concert (these will be done in collaboration with other groups on campus). We're also developing our "The Couple That Prays Together, Stays Together" presentation that's part of our Building Better Families philanthropy.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: "national" is not an option...

Quote:
Just so it's known, Kappa Alpha Gamma Sorority, Inc. cannot and willnot be absorbed by some larger "national" sorority...it wouldn't make sense because no other sorority is truly like us.
I understand the passion you have about what you've started and your sorority. But from what you've shared, I don't understand what makes you stand out from other african-american christian sororities. I'm not trying to stop anything..I think people spreading the word of God is excellent..in sorority form or as individuals. But I really think you haven't done enough research on what's out there based on your responses.

Quote:
Like I've said before, we're just working within the divisions society created long before either you or myself existed.
Not to start an argument..but isn't it our duty as Christians to work to eliminate the divisions in society and unite under one cause...not to emphasize and segrate even further?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: "national" is not an option...

Quote:
Originally posted by rocketgirl
I understand the passion you have about what you've started and your sorority. But from what you've shared, I don't understand what makes you stand out from other african-american christian sororities. I'm not trying to stop anything..I think people spreading the word of God is excellent..in sorority form or as individuals. But I really think you haven't done enough research on what's out there based on your responses.

Not to start an argument..but isn't it our duty as Christians to work to eliminate the divisions in society and unite under one cause...not to emphasize and segrate even further?
Thank you rocketgirl for taking the words right out of my mouth. I can totally understand that there is no other organizations like yours on my campus, but to say there is not other organization period like yours is wrong. I think that is what most people are trying to understand. What makes your organization TOTALLY different than any other black christian-based organizations?
Old 11-07-2005, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: "national" is not an option...

Quote:
Originally posted by brownsugar952
Thank you rocketgirl for taking the words right out of my mouth. I can totally understand that there is no other organizations like yours on my campus, but to say there is not other organization period like yours is wrong. I think that is what most people are trying to understand. What makes your organization TOTALLY different than any other black christian-based organizations?
Being one who answers questions thoroughly, I thought I said there is no other like us on my campus. If not, there it is...

And have you read all that I've said, because I've answered a LOT of questions? If you've read everything in this thread, and (a step further) our website, then I'm sure you'll see what we feel distinguishes us.

And to sum up how I feel: KAG is here because there is a need.
We had a need for Black fraternal organizations, thus the Divine 9 came to be.
Did anyone stop at just having Alphas and AKAs? No, we created seven more Black frats and sororities.
There is a need for a Christian organization that comes from the standpoint of the Black culture and the Black church. Thus we have KAG - whatever other GLOs that TOTALLY match our goals and aims, we fully support. In fact, we support ALL Christian organizations. This is all just a mission to spread the word of God, concentrating in our own Black community, because that is where the Lord and unity are desperately needed.

The only research we need comes from the Word.

Oh, and one more point - why is everyone so questionable about an organization promoting faith in the Lord? Whether black, non-black, purple, whatever....
I'm just betting that no one would question another fraternal organization that just popped up if it were (for lack of a better example) "guys that liked to get wasted while jetskiing"....But people spreading the word of God get questioned...I guess it's all just part of society.

But anyway, I never mind inquiries...ask away