GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,711
2 members and 1,709 guests
flamboyanttree, gatordeltapgh

Old 06-06-2013, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Chapter Transfers

Hello! I will be transferring schools this fall and have already been in contact with my new schools chapter president. She made the process seem pretty straight forward but I was curios if anyone else has ever transferred colleges and chapters with in their sorority. Also whats your opinion? Do you think its a good idea for a transfer student to join the other chapter? Any info on this topic would really be appreciated, thank you!
Old 06-06-2013, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi (and TFJ!). I'm also transferring chapters in the fall, and I think it's a good idea for the transferring sister to take some time to get a feel for the chapter. If both parties decide it's a good fit, then you're all set!

Also- check your PM inbox!
Old 06-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

My SIL transferred from Furman Chi Omega to the University of Oklahoma to live near my younger brother. She turned out to be a pretty good member there and enjoyed her experience.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-07-2013, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

First, I do wish you the best of luck on your new adventure! I hope you feel it is a good fit and it all works out for you. It is exciting to say the least.

I will tell you that it does not always work out rosy. We had a sister that came from another chapter and the fit was truly not the best. What I will say - she was and will always be our sister. She remained in our chapter despite the fit. We all did exactly what sisters do and accepted her in our chapter. When I would see her I always went the extra mile to make her feel special as I knew it must have been hard at times to be her. This is what sisterhood is about. She may not have been a perfect fit for our chapter, but it really was a learning experience for all of us. This situation made me realize how powerful a sisterhood really is on a national level and the instant respect you should have for a sister.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Let me put this in perspective for you. Taking time to see if the chapter fits your personality is probably a good idea because once you make that decision, you are stuck with it. You will be paying dues and going to events even if the women in the chapter are totally not the type of women you would be friends with and you don't get along with any of them. Making the plunge head first has a lot of consequences. Usually for most groups, to get out of the chapter, you have to quit school or turn in your pin. Being deliberate makes a lot of sense. Not every chapter of a given sorority is the same. Many women happily transfer without a problem, but taking the time to assure a smooth transition seems to be the logical choice.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!