GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,234
2 members and 1,232 guests
No Members online

Old 01-25-2012, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
On Tom Joyner, Cybil(sp) commented that she wanted to see the Black wives of these Airmen. Why? It does not fit with the plot. The movie referenced wives and children (who were Black). Why did the movie show an Italian woman? Because Red Tails is set in 1944 Italy during WWII!

Am I damn happy to see a mainstream (not a documentary and not a BET movie) movie on the Tuskegee Airmen? Yes. Am I damn happy to see a mainstream movie of predominantly Black (non-white, in general) actors that was not a Tyler Perry or related film? Yes.
Agree, agree, agree. I'd heard the complaint about the dearth of black women, and I wondered--do any of these people think there were just African-American women hanging out in Italy during WWII? Do any of these people think before they run off at the mouth?
Old 01-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Banned

Oh yeah, there may be a prequel and a sequel to Red Tails. George Lucas needs to sit his ass down somewhere. Don't do it. This is not Star Wars.

http://necolebitchie.com/2012/01/23/...cas-was-right/
Old 01-25-2012, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
I've been to the Wright Patterson Airforce Museum once, and I loved it. Did you see the German Me 262 that was on display there?
Cheerful, to be honest with you, I don't even know what a German Me 262 is. I'll have to google it to see what you're talking about.

Quote:
Oh yeah, there may be a prequel and a sequel to Red Tails. George Lucas needs to sit his ass down somewhere. Don't do it. This is not Star Wars.
I feel you, but if I was in his shoes, and I made a killing off of this one, I'm making a sequel. I would milk that movie to make as much money as I could.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
Hey! Some of us haven't seen it yet!
She wasn't the only one talking about what happened in the movie. I'll bet you read the whole damn post, too.

Warning: I'm about to give my opinion on the movie. I'm also getting ready to talk about what happened in the movie. For the folks who have not seen it, and want to see it, stop reading here. Continue reading, then it's your own goddamn fault for the spoiler.

I liked the movie. But it was pretty predictable. When dude who was about to get married to ol girl, died, I knew what was about to happen. That part was very predictable. At the beginning of the movie with dude being kind of a maverick, I was under the impression that he might not be the one to die. I thought that maybe they were going to state some facts about him at the end. As soon as he got engaged to ol girl, I knew right then that dude was going to get killed. That was predictable as hell. That's the only thing I didn't like about the movie. To me, shit like that is kind of irrelevant to what the movie was about.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen1aur 1963 View Post
I feel you, but if I was in his shoes, and I made a killing off of this one, I'm making a sequel. I would milk that movie to make as much money as I could.
I'm all for keeping minority actors employed.

However, this movie was not good enough for a prequel and/or sequel. The plot, storyline, and overall premise of the Tuskegee Airmen are not suitable for a prequel and sequel. George Lucas needs to take a clue from Sex and the City 2 and understand that something that works once (because people are excited to see it happening) will not always work again. Plus, getting people to the box office to see a movie does not mean that they liked the movie or that most people liked the movie enough to do it again.

Quote:
She wasn't the only one talking about what happened in the movie. I'll bet you read the whole damn post, too.

Warning: I'm about to give my opinion on the movie. I'm also getting ready to talk about what happened in the movie. For the folks who have not seen it, and want to see it, stop reading here. Continue reading, then it's your own goddamn fault for the spoiler.
LOL. This is the current movie review thread. Movie reviews often include spoilers. Spoilers do not bother me but those who are bothered by spoilers may consider not coming to this thread. @ Leslie Anne

Quote:
I liked the movie. But it was pretty predictable. When dude who was about to get married to ol girl, died, I knew what was about to happen. That part was very predictable. At the beginning of the movie with dude being kind of a maverick, I was under the impression that he might not be the one to die. I thought that maybe they were going to state some facts about him at the end. As soon as he got engaged to ol girl, I knew right then that dude was going to get killed. That was predictable as hell. That's the only thing I didn't like about the movie. To me, shit like that is kind of irrelevant to what the movie was about.
I thought Lightening would die because he was crazy as hell but I wanted it to be less predictable than that. I thought that perhaps Easy would die. It was hypocritical how Lightening and Easy preached to each other about alcohol and risk-seeking behavior. They both had low self-control and were both risk-seekers. They had no reason to lecture each other.

I knew Junior was not dead.

It was funny when the Red Tails were invited to have drinks with the white pilots. The Red Tails looked shocked and speechless like someone pissed in their whiskey. LOL.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
LOL. This is the current movie review thread. Movie reviews often include spoilers. Spoilers do not bother me but those who are bothered by spoilers may consider not coming to this thread. @ Leslie Anne
Good reviews need not and do not include spoilers beyond those necessary to understand the premise of the story, and reviewers who go beyond that find themselves ignored, out-of-a-job or both.

It's basic common courtesy in a thread such as this to alert readers that spoilers follow so that people can choose whether to keep reading or not.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Good reviews need not and do not include spoilers beyond those necessary to understand the premise of the story, and reviewers who go beyond that find themselves ignored, out-of-a-job or both.
And only professional movie reviewers need to care about that.

As for movie reviews from nonprofessional reviewers, which is what I was talking about, whether the person liked or disliked the movie is typically stated in the first two sentences. After that are the details that can include spoilers. If you read or listen to the details, you are reading or listening to the details that can include spoilers.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
As for movie reviews from nonprofessional reviewers, which is what I was talking about, whether the person liked or disliked the movie is typically stated in the first two sentences. After that are the details that can include spoilers. If you read or listen to the details, you are reading or listening to the details that can include spoilers.
Aw, c'mon. This thread has gone on over 350 posts without very many spoilers. There's lots that can be said about why someone liked or didn't like a movie without giving away specific plot points or endings. And it has been common practice at GC to provide a "spoiler alert" in a post or even in the thread title.

I stand by my earlier statement that it's basic common courtesy, whether talking in person or posting on the web, not to give away what happens in a movie without at least a warning so that someone has a chance to avoid the spoiler if they want to.

But hey, I guess I know to avoid reading your movie reviews from now on.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

FWIW, when it comes to the topic at hand, I'm on TeamMC/TeamLeslieAnne.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
But hey, I guess I know to avoid reading your movie reviews from now on.
Yes, I often type spoilers for movies and shows with and without a spoiler alert.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, I often type spoilers for movies and shows.
'Course, half the time it's about Sex and the City, so I guess I needn't worry too much.

Quote:
George Lucas needs to take a clue from Sex and the City 2 . . . .
Not a statement I ever expected to read.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
'Course, half the time it's about Sex and the City, so I guess I needn't worry too much.
Actually, no, most of my reviews are not about SATC.

Last edited by DrPhil; 01-25-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Actually, no, most of my reviews are not about SATC.
It just seems like it, huh?
Old 01-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
It just seems like it, huh?
It does to you.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Cheerful, to be honest with you, I don't even know what a German Me 262 is. I'll have to google it to see what you're talking about.
lol
Do you remember the jet fighter that was in the movie? That was the Me 262. It was designed and built by Messerschmitt. Do you remember seeing it on display at Wright Pat? I think it was captured shortly after the war ended. A lot of people believe it to be the first jet fighter. It wasn't.

What I would like to see: I think that would be awesome if someone made a movie about what the war would have been like if it continued into 1946.

Quote:
I'll bet you read the whole damn post, too.

lol
Hilarious!