GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,192
0 members and 2,192 guests
No Members online

Old 08-26-2004, 06:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Asthma and allergies are on the increase and the immune system/too clean environment theory is being studied intensively. The peanut allergy is one of the most extreme allergies out there. I do have a co-worker who's son has that extreme allergy and has gone into anaphylactic shock from being in a room after peanuts have been in the room. I truly am thankful that my daughter's isn't this severe, but I had an ER doc ask me, after she had a reaction, if I make my son's peanut butter & jelly sandwiches in a different kitchen with different utensils than the ones I use to prepare my daughter's food. Hopefully research will help find something to help the kids who react that severely. I still think, as a parent, it's my problem, not the rest of the school's problem.

Dee
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-26-2004, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: "...maybe tomorrow I'm gonna settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on."
Send a message via AIM to Lady Pi Phi
I understand the precautions that are being taken, but there are so many different allergies, why is that only children with peanut/nut allergies are been catered to?

My friend has a severe allergy to mango. She can't eat it, or she can't have it touch her. She can't even use products like mango lip balm, or scents, etc, etc. Her face and body start to swell and her airway begins to close off as soon as she touces mango. She had a reaction a few months ago because she thought she was eating an apple sauce snack but she didn't read the label carefully and it contained mango. Her face swelled up, her eyes closed shut (couldn't see at all) and had trouble breathing. Luckily she made it to the hospital on time.

Now what if she were a young girl in elementary school? Would they tell students not to bring mango lip balm to school, or waer a mango scent spray? No, they wouldn't.

I also had a teacher who was allergic to perfum and the first day of class she asked us not to wear perfume or cologne to class. Luckily, it wasn't a bad allergy (she just sneezed a lot), but what would she do if it was severe allergy. Would the school have made concessions for her. Probably not.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

I can appreciate what the administrators are doing here. They're just trying to avoid a situation where they might be liable for the child's untimely demise. If you as an administrator can change the school environment to make it much less likely that a child gets sick or dies, I think it's fine. Now, I'm not so sure it should be DISTRICT policy. Maybe just school policy.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-26-2004, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to swissmiss04
If I had a child with that condition, I would probably home school him/her not only for his/her safety but also to not burden the school w/ the responsibility and hassle. I wish more parents would consider "the others" and stop being so self-righteous about their kids, regardless of any disorders.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by swissmiss04
If I had a child with that condition, I would probably home school him/her not only for his/her safety but also to not burden the school w/ the responsibility and hassle. I wish more parents would consider "the others" and stop being so self-righteous about their kids, regardless of any disorders.
If the school changing things up and eliminating peanut products doesn't hurt any of the other kids or really cost the district a lot more money, where is the harm done here?

I'd usually come down on the side of personal responsibility, etc.. but I really don't see this being such a huge problem.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-26-2004, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

I have an extreme nut allergy. Will send me to the hospital almost instantly. I didnt need the school to ban them. I just knew from the time I started school that I wasnt allowed to have anything with nuts in it. My teachers knew and my mom always checkd the menus at school, or packed my lunch. it wasnt rocket science. If I coudl handle it at 5, I am pretty sure anyone could at any age.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:45 PM

Re: School bans nuts because of one student's allergy

Quote:
Originally posted by SSS1365
The Miller School in Waldoboro also told parents not to send children to school with anything containing peanuts, sunflower seeds, poppy seeds, sesame seeds or legumes such as dried peas and beans.
It's not just the school district eliminating these products, it's the fact that they're telling the rest of the parents that their child can't eat/bring these things.

If the mother would stop and think, she'd realize this is only going to make the other kids resentful of her child. "Jimmy's allergic to legumes so you can't have your PBJ" doesn't really sink in with a 6 year old - all he knows is that he can't have his PBJ and it's Jimmy's fault.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
If they ban walnuts and chestnuts, do they also have to ban nuts-on-yo-chin a.k.a chinnuts?

Just wondering....
Old 08-26-2004, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by damasa
If they ban walnuts and chestnuts, do they also have to ban nuts-on-yo-chin a.k.a chinnuts?

Just wondering....
I think such things are banned in elementary schools, yes.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I have mixed feelings on this too.

On one hand, I can see where they are coming from. The child not only can't eat them, but can't even be anywhere near them or someone who has recently eaten them, so the school wants to free itself of liability by banning them altogether. It's not just about the kid knowing what he can and can't eat. Sure, there's homeschooling, but that isn't a feasible option for everyone. And seriously, it's not hurting anyone to have to go 6 or 8 hours a day without any peanut products

On the other hand, the kid is going to have to figure something out eventually because in everyday life he's gonna encounter nuts and legumes and stuff. And it's true that the other kids aren't going to understand why they can't have PB&J for lunch and may resent allergy-boy because of it.

I don't know, maybe the bubble thing isn't such a bad idea after all.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:44 PM
GreekChat Member

i think it's admirable to say you would homeschool your child because of his/her allergy, but realisticly---do you know how to teach someone to read? to write? to do 12th grade advanced physics? what about the socialization factor? can you prepare them for their state tests and SAT's?

just some questions to think about---homeschooling's not as easy as it may appear. plus you wouldn't be able to work and would continue to pay school taxes that your child isn't able to use.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sageofages
Quote:
Originally posted by SSS1365
I have mixed feelings on this too.

On one hand, I can see where they are coming from. The child not only can't eat them, but can't even be anywhere near them or someone who has recently eaten them, so the school wants to free itself of liability by banning them altogether. It's not just about the kid knowing what he can and can't eat. Sure, there's homeschooling, but that isn't a feasible option for everyone. And seriously, it's not hurting anyone to have to go 6 or 8 hours a day without any peanut products

On the other hand, the kid is going to have to figure something out eventually because in everyday life he's gonna encounter nuts and legumes and stuff. And it's true that the other kids aren't going to understand why they can't have PB&J for lunch and may resent allergy-boy because of it.

I don't know, maybe the bubble thing isn't such a bad idea after all.
I guess my thought is what about the child that brings something unknowingly containing a "banned food stuff" (ie, nuts, etc). What sort of repercussion will be afforded to them? Detention for carrying a concealed snickers bar? Suspension for PBJ cookies?

When the difficulty lies with the one in such a dramatic manner, then the one needs to change their patterns, and not demand that society bend completely to their needs. Not out of inconvenience..but out of personal necessity. It is a control issue, and is simply not reasonable to try to control what you truly can't...EVERYONE ELSE, when you CAN control your own situation. (special eating environment)
Old 08-26-2004, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
This sounds worse than Rudey's suggestion about rubbing the kids with nuts.
I didn't even think of that when I wrote that. It was all about the benefits of fresh breath, which many people struggle with.

Thanks 33girl, I needed the laugh
Old 08-26-2004, 09:57 PM

I think that the child with the allergies should be home schooled at the school district's expense just like any other disabled child who can't co-exist with others would be.

I agree with 33Girl; he's not always going to have provisions made around his allergies.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Schools have a responsibility to accommodate any child with a disability. I think requiring the school to be a 'nut free zone' is a reasonable request. It's much more reasonable than expecting a child to be home schooled which, as cash78mere pointed out, most parents aren't trained or able to do.

I think it can be like smoking. You can do what you want in the privacy of your home, but as soon as it negatively impacts someone else's health and well-being it can be regulated. This is a life threatening allergy which can kill within minutes.