GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,376
1 members and 1,375 guests
FSUZeta

Old 05-16-2011, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetygerlily View Post
Kappa Kappa Gamma will absorb NYU local Kappa Psi Delta, colonizing fall 2011.

I don't know specifics other than they contacting ΚΚΓ directly, but another local there was absorbed by an NPC a few years ago (ΠΒΦ). Kappa had presented at that time, so my conjecture is that could be what planted the seed for the ΚΨΔ ladies.
Actually, Pi Beta Phi was a ground-up colonization, not an absorption of a local. One of the factors that led to NYU Panhellenic opening for the eventual PiPhi extension was that a local sorority shut down about a year and a half earlier. Based on the dates of everything (ie., that PiPhi arrived close to the time that the local closed), it may have appeared that the local group was actually absorbed, but this was not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psusue View Post
I wonder if they'll give the alumnae a chance to initiate with KKG if they so choose.
Kappa Psi Delta alumnae will be offered the chance to initiated with KKG.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:24 AM

Wasn't there a thread on them a few years ago? An OMG how dare they copy type of thread? Then they tweaked some of their symbols and such.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreenHeart View Post
As per the UC Theta Phi Alpha Twitter account, Gamma Phi Beta has been invited to colonize Cincinnati this fall, and Phi Mu has been invited to colonize in fall of 2013! Congratulations to both groups!
Hooray! I just knew presenting on my birthday was a good sign - best birthday gift this year? A new Gamma Phi Beta chapter!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Cincinnati and NYU Colonies

Congratulations to Gamma Phi Beta and Phi Mu on your selection for University of Cincinnati. Oh that we could join you....

The recent post on KKG colonizing at NYU is confusing because KKG did not present at NYU this year per this thread. This thread says ZTA is colonizing at NYU this fall - correct? Will this mean two new nationals at the same time? Will ZTA be absorbing the other local?

How does one type Greek letters for a post? I do not see the symbol font on the list of available fonts for messages. Thanks
Old 05-17-2011, 08:00 AM
GreekChat Member

This just made my week!

FYI: May I just say "Thank You" to LaneSig and everyone else who keeps up with this thread and the wonderful news it brings (even if my GLO doesn't get chosen)? I am always in the know about colonizations because of GC. Thank you!

Last edited by als463; 05-17-2011 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaIotaDZ View Post

The recent post on KKG colonizing at NYU is confusing because KKG did not present at NYU this year per this thread. This thread says ZTA is colonizing at NYU this fall - correct? Will this mean two new nationals at the same time? Will ZTA be absorbing the other local?
I was wondering the same thing. Will both groups come on campus at the same time?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-17-2011, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl View Post
Wasn't there a thread on them a few years ago? An OMG how dare they copy type of thread? Then they tweaked some of their symbols and such.
I did a search, and I think you must be thinking of another group. There was a local a few years ago by the name of "Kappa Gamma" in Connecticut that was [I]very[I] similar (in terms of colors, symbols, pin, etc.) to KKG, but with no affiliation to the national group (they weren't a former KKG chapter that had gone local, and they were not, as far as KKG HQ was aware, seeking affiliation with the national group). Kappa Psi Delta's colors/symbols/etc have remained the same since their founding about 12 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaIotaDZ View Post
Both ZTA and KKG will be coming to campus in Fall of 2011. ZTA will be a ground-up colonization, with national officers coming in to recruit the entire chapter membership right after the existing chapters finish formal recruitment, like most colonizations. They will not be absorbing either of the other 2 local organizations at NYU. KKG will be absorbing the existing sorority Kappa Psi Delta. KKG did not present as a part of the group of organizations interested in extension because they were approached specifically by the local organization (through the appropriate authorities) for the purpose of absorbing Kappa Psi Delta, and this was intentionally done before Panhellenic extended presentation invitations to the organizations that did present for general extension. In Fall 2011, KKG will not be recruiting; instead, the current active sisters of Kappa Psi Delta will go through the membership education process, initiation, and installation of the NYU KKG chapter. KKG (in Fall 2011) will consist of only the current members of the local organization. In Spring 2012, the new KKG chapter will participate in recruitment for the first time.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiMu1996 View Post
The Ladies of the Zeta Alpha Chapter of Phi Mu were notified last night that the appeal to overturn the decision to cease operations was rejected. We are sad, but are holding our heads up high with pride. Words can not express how grateful we are for all the support we have received & continue to receive. We are very hopeful that when the Greek environment at Baker improves, Zeta Alpha will return.
Very sad news, indeed.

http://www.thebakerorange.com/news/c...i-mu-1.2575719

Excerpts from ^:
. . . The chapter will cease operations Sunday and all active members in good standing will be granted alumnae status.
. . . The national headquarters of Phi Mu is still determining what will happen to the Phi Mu house.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhi4Ever View Post
Per Delta Phi Epsilon's Twitter, they have been selected to recolonize at Adelphi University this fall of 2011! Congratulations!

This is a re-colonization of our Lambda Chapter!
Old 05-18-2011, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I have yet to see an announcement from Gamma Phi Beta or Phi Mu about Cincy. Has UC not made a formal statement about the organizations selected? Just wondering....
Old 05-18-2011, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
I have yet to see an announcement from Gamma Phi Beta or Phi Mu about Cincy. Has UC not made a formal statement about the organizations selected? Just wondering....
Gamma Phi Beta has announced.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Gamma Phi Beta has announced.
My sister is correct. It was announced on our Facebook page yesterday morning.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Beta Theta Pi Expansion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
It's almost time to close out this thread and begin '11/'12.

Still waiting decisions/invitations for expansion for:

University of Cincinnati
Franklin & Marshall
Louisiana State University-Shreveport
New York University
University of San Francisco
SUNY-Plattsburg
University of Utah
Chapman University - IFC
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University(FL) -IFC

The following campuses opened for expansion, but still waiting to hear who is presenting:

Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College(GA)
University of Arkansas
Christopher Newport University
Mississippi Valley State University - NPC & IFC
Southern Utah University
Texas A&M-Texarkana new Greek system
Texas Christian University
Trine University(IN)
Creighton University - IFC

If anyone has information for any of these campuses, please pass it along.
In addition to our recolonizations at the University of Utah and Michigan State, Beta Theta Pi has been selected to expand to Texas Christian University, Chapman University, and Creighton University. You can view the fraternity's expansion press release here- http://betathetapi.informz.net/betat...e_1517579.html. These will be all of our recolonizations/expansions for the 2011-2012 academic year.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeward*bound View Post
My sister is correct. It was announced on our Facebook page yesterday morning.
I stand corrected. Hmmmmmm....I wonder why Phi Mu hasn't mentioned it, yet.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:21 PM

Our Kappa chapter at Stanford University was installed Saturday, May 21, 2011! Congratulations!