GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,232
0 members and 1,232 guests
No Members online

Old 11-02-2017, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTau View Post
Reed College was mentioned above. Can't even imagine any Greek social organization there.
A good friend of mine attended. He told me they did have a group called SMAKASS on campus.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-02-2017, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
A good friend of mine attended. He told me they did have a group called SMAKASS on campus.
A sampling of the student clubs at Reed. (Kinda makes typical college Greek life seem rather banal. The C.H.V.N.K. DCLXVI, which builds tall bicycles, is probably the most famous.)

90s Ball - One time event for Reedies to dance to the jams of the last decade of the 20th century and most importantly, live the true ~dream of the 90s~

Absoflutely - Reed's premiere flute troupe.

Aerial Acrobatics Troupe "The Reed Air Force" -- We bring you high-flying, awe-inspiring aerial acrobatics for any and all Reed events. * * * Our troupe is open to all Reed students, alum and faculty of any skill level who are interested in performing or learning the art of aerial silks and aerial lyra.

Blue Heron Collective -- Radical direct action politics

C.H.V.N.K. DCLXVI -- We weld all the freak bikes you see around campus! We also teach others how to weld their own bikes, and host tall bike jousting now and again.

DEFENDERS OF THE UNIVERSE -- We make awesome things. If you have an epic project you want to build, join us! From darkness came forth the protectors. To defend that which is awesome from the powers of the banal. When the apocalypse comes, DxOxTxUx will survive. Until then we will suffice to use our skills to blow your minds. If you have felt The Awesome calling, you will know where to find us.

Fetish Club -- The Reed organization for safe and consensual kink! We welcome anyone from the curious to the thoroughly perverted alike. Responsible for safety and consent lectures, creative workshops, discussion groups, and of course, Fetish Ball, we supply you with a host of events for your enjoyment and edification.

Non-Monogamous People of Reed -- A casual group aimed at bringing together people curious about non-monogamy in a nonjudgmental, supportive community.

Oh For Christ's Sake! -- We are a group of students that show God's love through community. We come together with spiritually interested students and study scripture and work through tough questions.

RSSK (Reed Shoot Shit Kollective) -- Are you interested in guns, shooting, or are just plain curious? * * *
Old 11-02-2017, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

I've visited the campus. While the clubs are what they are, the academics there are legit.

Their Renn Faire event every year is pretty legendary.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTau View Post
A sampling of the student clubs at Reed. (Kinda makes typical college Greek life seem rather banal. The C.H.V.N.K. DCLXVI, which builds tall bicycles, is probably the most famous.)
Beyond that groups like:

Angel Booking
Reed's only explicitly feminist student booking group!

FungusAmongUs
FungusAmongUs is a group of mushroom enthusiasts who go to the coast each year for the Yachats Mushroom Festival.

Period Kollectiv
We believe that every person at Reed should have easy access to menstrual supplies when and where they need them. Top 6 Period Kollectiv and we promise to keep all bathrooms all over campus stocked with free tampons and pads, heating patches for cramps, medicine to alleviate pain, and supplements for overall menstrual health and relief. We will to target bathrooms in academic buildings, the library, the GCC, and the SU. We strive to only buy unbleached, chlorine free, organic products. We know that people of all genders experience menstruation as a regular part of their lives, and plan to accommodate everyone equally. Last year we had a lot of support from the student body, and were able to get funding for these supplies but they are not cheap!!

Post-PostKolonial Klub
We want to be an open space for people with histories of colonial oppression to discuss the experience of being postcolonial (and often) diasporic subjects. Although Reed has many identity groups, we feel there isn't a space for reedies who share similar experiences (as a result of colonialism) from many different ethnic backgrounds.Furthermore, there isn't a non-academic space for people to come together and explore what the postcolonial being is; lived, and negotiated constantly through projects of assimilation, neo-colonialism, american imperialism etc.

Soap-making Club
We are a group of Reedies interested in making soap! We will create many types of soap over the course of the year. If permitted by safety regulations, we'll use the cold process method, which means we'll be making our soap from scratch! Soap-making is a craft at the intersection of art and science. We'll design our soap, then watch chemical reactions occur between the ingredients we've chosen.We will scent our soaps with essential oils and color them using pigments derived directly from nature. Participants will be able to keep some of the soap they make, and the rest will be donated to the Reed Community Pantry or to Portland shelters, so that everyone can meet basic hygiene needs with a piece of art that isn't basic at all (soap pun).
Old 11-03-2017, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
With this list in mind, I would imagine that Wheaton College has no Greek life, either.
The daughter of our 2008-2012 Intl. President graduated from Wheaton, and joined Gamma Phi as as an AI at our 2010 Convention. I was also sponsoring an AI, so I got to know her a bit. You're right about no Greek life there.

One of our neighbors is a senior at Reed. He has three Tri Delta sisters. When he posted on FB that he'd be going to Reed, one of the sisters responded with, "good luck finding a girl to date who shaves her legs or armpits!"
Old 11-03-2017, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
"good luck finding a girl to date who shaves her legs or armpits!"
True story.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Reed sounds a lot like Antioch in Yellow Springs, Ohio...

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 11-03-2017, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Hendrix College in Conway, AR
Old 11-03-2017, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Columbia College Chicago
Old 11-06-2017, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Judson College, a tiny (~300-student) Baptist women's school in Marion, Alabama, had chapters of ADPi, DDD, KD, and ZTA until sororities were abolished in 1919. The ADPi chapter then moved its charter to Howard College (now Samford University).