GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,247
1 members and 1,246 guests
No Members online

Old 02-24-2001, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Question FIJI?

We don't have a chapter here on my campus, and I was wondering what is the actual name for this frat, or is this the name? (i.e. KKG stands for Kappa Kappa Gamma) Thanks!
Old 02-24-2001, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

FIJI's name is Phi Gamma Delta, but it is against their rules to use letters
Old 02-24-2001, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Don'[t know if this is appropriate to ask, but why can't they use their letters?

Again, if it isn't appropriate to answer, that's fine
Thanks!
Old 02-25-2001, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

hhmmmm....I don't know. If there are FIJI's on this board maybe they would know, but I guess it's part of their constitution. I think I remember reading that somewhere.
Old 02-25-2001, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Wow! I did not know that! That is pretty interesting. If any Fijis can tell me why that is, I would be interested in knowing. Not trying to be nosey , but I have a website that carries greek 'pari, so I don't want to make/sell anything disrespectful,etc.
Hey Billy! Thanks for the info......
Old 02-25-2001, 02:21 PM

Thumbs up

I asked some FIJI's where I went to school and they explained it to me as something like this.
Their full name is: Phi Gamma Delta.
First of all, their "nickname" is Fiji, because "Phi" in Greek is pronounced "Fee", and then they take the "G" from "Gamma", so
"Fee-G" or "Fiji".

Secondly, they told me that since they hold their letters in such high regard (or something like that), that the actual Greek letters only appear on the physical house, or on their badges (i.e. "pins").

Things like sweatshirts, will be written "FIJI". Hope that cleared it up!!

[This message has been edited by CutiePie2000 (edited February 25, 2001).]
Old 02-25-2001, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xok85xo
I think the rule is that they can only have the actual letters on something that is permanent(tattoos, house flags, on the house etc..) but can never write it, or print it or anything..I don't know..the fiji's at my school are supersecretive about EVERYTHING..so we just don't bother asking any questions..
Old 02-25-2001, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Hello!

My brother is a FIJI in college. You guys are right; he never has Phi Gamma Delta on any of his fraternity stuff (i.e. sweatshirts) except his pins. He has a whole bunch of clothes, though, that have FIJI on it. Also, I visited his chapter house on a tour of his university, and they DO have the Greek letters Phi Gamma Delta imprinted on the house.

Now I have a question for you guys What do you guys think of FIJI's? Thanks!
Old 02-25-2001, 09:51 PM

When I took the campus tour of my college FIJI had chalked the night before, so of course I was curious. I was told by our guide, who happened to be a FIJI, is that they can't wear the letters until they die. Kind of freaked me out. But I totally understand it now.

I'm so used to seeing it spelled FIJI that when I see it spelled out Phi Gamma Delta, it takes me a while to figure out what fraternity it is.

bubbles--I thought our FIJI chapter was pretty damn cool. Small but definitely on the upswing.
Old 02-26-2001, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Uh - i'm not so sure it's against the rules to use letters, as i'm pretty sure the houses at iowa, drake, and iowa state have "phi gamma delta" on them, as do some others. i think it's just an abbreviation accepted by national (ie "Phi G"), and i know some friends of mine have letter shirts w/ FIJI written on it, and also others with the greek letters. anyway, two cents

rob
Old 02-26-2001, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I know that they house at Univ. of Nebraska does have the letters Phi Gamma Delta on it, but I have also seen shirts with FIJI on them as well.
Any Fiji's out there that can explain?
Old 02-26-2001, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a friend at Baylor who is a FIJI, and its true, they are not allowed to wear their actual letters "Phi Gamma Delta". For the longest time i didnt know what fraternity he was in, just knew it was FIJI since thats what all his shirts say. Also, people always refer to them as FIJI's and nothing else. They dont wear them as respect, well they do on their badges, but not like shirts or sweatshirts.

Bubbles17, we dont have FIJI's where i go to school now, but all of the ones at baylor are HOTTIES- especially my "friend"
Old 02-28-2001, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so glad Fiji was a topic! I had no idea what their Greek Letters were, since they always just use Fiji. They aren't even on campus at my school. Thanks for the info!

Erin

------------------
Rise and shine and become a Kappa Gamma!
Old 02-28-2001, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone for answering my questions!!!! You guys are the best; i have truly learned a lot
Old 04-05-2001, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks girls! My brother is very secretive...makes me wonder .