GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,996
0 members and 1,996 guests
No Members online

Old 07-30-2005, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
Yea, I think the "hazing" thing would only come up if NM's didn't want to wear the ribbons and they were the only sisters required to wear them. In this case, it seems to be presented as a privilage that they are allowed to wear the ribbons as a pride thing (no pun intended ADPi's) and I assume all of the sisters would wear them.

I think it is a great thing for, maybe a "slowing" greek system to, show the strength of the new member classes; that even when you arent wearing your letters or dressed up you are still an "insert glo here."

Last edited by ADPi Conniebama; 07-30-2005 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Exactly Connie-- if all the chapter members wore the ribbons than new members could easily identify ALL of their sisters on campus, and the initiates (who of course already know one another) would see who their new members were-- and other sorority women would identify each other because of their ribbons. In that respect, it would be a great way to acclimate the chapters and the new classes with the current initiates.

On a PR level, the non-Greeks on campus would see lots of girls in the same ribbons and wonder what it's for and ask-- and possibly gain an interest in recruitment and Greek Life. This could be a great campaign for all the Greeks (initiates AND new members) on campus where you're trying to drum up greater interest for Greek Life-- so it makes even more sense to have the entire chapter in ribbons-- greater numbers for greater visibilty.

But again, with some of the sororities, it's all or nothing. IE: We'd have to have all our chapter members in the ribbons, not just new ones... even if it was "optional." It would have to be presented as an all-chapter pride thing.

The only negative thing that might come of this are the same things you run into when you wear letters or your pin on campus-- people with negative perceptions of Greeks heckling you -- or a shop keeper who doesn't like Greeks discriminating against ribbon wearers... it does happen, and again, the same is true of when you're in letters.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Sigma Alpha Creed & Symbols

Quote:
Celebrations

Founder's Day is celebrated November 15 of every year and all members of Alpha Sigma Alpha are asked to wear green and gold ribbons underneath their membership badges to represent our enduring sisterhood since 1901 and the social aspect of the sorority.

The Christmas celebration centers around "Jesus as an exemplar" and Alpha Sigma Alpha's service to others. Members are asked to wear crimson and green ribbons underneath their badges to represent loyalty and immortality.

St. Valentine's Day is celebrated February 14 and members are asked to wear crimson and gold ribbons underneath their membership badges to represent loyalty and the social aspect of the occasion.

Hermes' Day, May 25, marks the beginning and end of the Alpha Sigma Alpha year. Members are asked to wear green and pearl white ribbons underneath their membership badges on this day, representing victory and fellowship.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:39 PM

The above is just to show the pictures of the ribbons right? Because it is ENTIRELY different from the thread topic which is NMs wearing ribbons as an identifier. These are to celebrate our exemplars and have nothing to do with any aspect of pledging.

Originally posted by FSUZeta
that's what they look like!!! our new members were given the ribbons in a pinning ceremony-they were not told they had to wear the ribbons afterward. the day after they were formally pledged and received their pledge pins. everyone wore the bid day shirt to class after bid day-they were not "made" to do so.

same deal here. We didn't want to do a "formal" ceremony with everyone in bid day jeans & t-shirts.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
The above is just to show the pictures of the ribbons right? Because it is ENTIRELY different from the thread topic which is NMs wearing ribbons as an identifier. These are to celebrate our exemplars and have nothing to do with any aspect of pledging.
Yes mam. Since a few other posters had discussed how they tied ribbons under their badges etc. for various reasons, I figured I'd give an example.

Quote:
We also wear 1/8" ribbons tied the same under our badges for memorial ceremonies or in honor of a new colony installation. Rose and white is worn under our badges for rededication ceremonies.
Old 07-30-2005, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UCFStefanie
I am not sure if UCF still does the Ribbons. I know I didn't receive any (could just me my sorority) on bid day but also we had a weird situation with our bid days because of all the foul weather. We are luck we even could complete bid day.

The thing I noticed most was the tote bags. After bid day it becomes really apparent who went where because most use their new sorority tote bags as their bookbag/carry all.

At UCF we also do a Rho Gamma Reunion, where all the the New members get together with their Recruitment Guides for a dinner and chat with the fellow PNM's they attended recruitment with. Its neat to attend this and see all the different sororitits together.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Here are the Pi Phi's from NCSU with their new member ribbons:

Old 07-31-2005, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

at one phi meeting, our advisor asked me where my ribbons were (not in a why are you not wearing those ribbons you measly newbie, but as a part of our conversation) and i looked down at my shirt and ran upstairs. i forgot that i changed shirts and the top i had been wearing was in the wash! luckily, the water hadn't finished filling up and i still have my origional ribbons...10 years later.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:40 PM

Most NM's around here are identified by their Bid Day shirt or their lettered tote that they carry 24/7.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JocelynC
Most NM's around here are identified by their Bid Day shirt or their lettered tote that they carry 24/7.
That's how it is at Auburn. I can only think of one group that gives their New Members ribbons.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
Every chapter give there New Member Bid Day shirts none give ribbons.

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 08-01-2005, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

You can sorta see what our ribbons look like here.

This was from last spring's bid day. It's more visable on the ones wearing black.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm wearing mine in this picture from Big Sis Rev--ours are a little different than most, but the idea of ribboning's still there. (thanks, ADPiZXalum!)
Old 08-01-2005, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Ooh you got a tiara for Big/Lil Night? I'm so jealous. I love tiaras.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
We got ribbons at pinning. Our pinning was typically 2-3 days after getting our bids, then we would hold more for the later COBs.

Our NM pins were tied with ribbons and all put on a safety pin so we could wear them easily. (darn little clasps!)

We never had a rule about pin attire with our nm pins... we wore them with whatever... as long as it wasnt like pajamas or the like.