GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,464
2 members and 2,462 guests
adanshulze9637, Kevin

Old 06-28-2005, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation PNM's: Beware of Thefacebook

PNM's... please be VERY careful if you choose to register on Thefacebook before Recruitment.

As soon as a student is accepted at Clemson, he or she is given an email account through the university, so the student is eligible to subscribe to Thefacebook with his or her university email address. I'm sure that other universities have the same policy. With the popularity of Thefacebook increasing so much over the last year, high school graduates are making Facebook accounts prior to even arriving at the university. Many are even joining groups called "People who actually aren't at Clemson yet... No, you aren't the only one!" and "Class of 2009." Joining these groups makes a PNM very easily searchable. If a member of a GLO accesses the profile of a PNM and sees that her interests are "drinking tequila, staying out all night, etc etc" and has joined groups like "People Who Pre-game Everything," "M.I.L.F. in Training," and "I drink wine any day of the week and with anyone...biatch,"... or worse, I promise, the PNM will be remembered and probably not thought highly of during Recruitment.

GLOs want THE BEST new members possible... so in other words, don't post anything on Thefacebook that you would not tell one of the sisters or brothers of a GLO in person. Thefacebook is fun, and yes, I'm a member. But, if joining it means that you may possibly not get a bid because of something on your profile... it's not worth it at all.

Just be careful!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-28-2005, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmm, I kinda find it interesting however that PNMs are being told that joining those groups on facebook could potentially hurt your chances in recruitment when there are TONS of members already in houses that are in groups like that! Kind of a double standard that it's not okay for PNMs but it's okay for members.

Does anybody get what I'm saying? Haha, I feel like I'm not explaining it well...
Old 06-28-2005, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by STL Kappa
Hmm, I kinda find it interesting however that PNMs are being told that joining those groups on facebook could potentially hurt your chances in recruitment when there are TONS of members already in houses that are in groups like that! Kind of a double standard that it's not okay for PNMs but it's okay for members.

Does anybody get what I'm saying? Haha, I feel like I'm not explaining it well...
You beat me to posting it. Great minds think alike.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Teehee I hear you loud and clear
Old 06-28-2005, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I definitely agree. We've been told to carefully watch what our profiles say about us, too. The PNMs are researching us as well. It does go both ways!
Old 06-28-2005, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

You have to take things like the facebook with a grain of salt. A lot of people take it as a joke and just do it to have fun (myself included), and don't mean to be judged by their profile. If a person puts that his or her hobbies are "drinking tequilla all night long" and belongs to the "MILF in training group" I'm SURE that most of the people who read that person's profile will (hopefully) understand that it's a joke. It's only facebook.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KLPDaisy
You have to take things like the facebook with a grain of salt. A lot of people take it as a joke and just do it to have fun (myself included), and don't mean to be judged by their profile. If a person puts that his or her hobbies are "drinking tequilla all night long" and belongs to the "MILF in training group" I'm SURE that most of the people who read that person's profile will (hopefully) understand that it's a joke. It's only facebook.
Yes, hopefully those kinds of things are a joke. Thefacebook is fun and people have extremely creative and funny profiles. But, Recruitment is a huge, tedious, extremely selective process at my school. We have to take everything into consideration when it comes to how we present ourselves to PNMs and how the PNMs present themselves to us. If either one of us has a "racy" (for lack of a better word) profile on Thefacebook, it puts forth a bad image and can be detrimental to the process.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:50 PM
GreekChat Member

So if a girl has recs, is a legacy, does community service, high GPA, and has a great personality, she won't get a bid because she's a MILF in training?
Old 06-28-2005, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Hahahaha, "M.I.L.F.-in-training?" That's the funniest thing I've seen all day.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, I'm too old. What's MILF?
Old 06-28-2005, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Mom I'd Like to F*ck
Old 06-28-2005, 03:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
Quote:
Originally posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
Ok, I'm too old. What's MILF?
A MILF is a Mother I'd Like to have relations with (F---.)
Old 06-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Unregistered-

I always thought shit like FaceBook was a bad idea to begin with, anyway.

But that's just the old fogey in me.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

But members have also been warned (and in some cases, punished) for the groups that they've joined on the facebook, or pictures they've posted. I don't think it's a double standard at all.

Sandy -- many smaller schools have had offline facebooks for years, with pictures and information about all new students. The facebook.com has just taken it to a new, more personal level. I'm not sure what's inherently "a bad idea" about it -- like many things, it can be either good or bad. I'm sure that some PNMs may get looked up by the sororities of their choice and the sororities may find out information from the facebook that may make them want this girl more. I think that any form of information that can help sororities find out more information about how a girl presents herself and how she wants other people to see her can only be a good thing. It certainly makes more sense to me than asking alumnae from her area what her high school rep was -- and people have been doing that for years.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
But members have also been warned (and in some cases, punished) for the groups that they've joined on the facebook, or pictures they've posted. I don't think it's a double standard at all.
Perhaps it wouldn't be a double standard if ALL members everywhere were facing consequences for it, but they're not.

Some schools and some chapters have taken action to prevent the association of their organization with whatever might be on their members' profiles on facebook (or myspace, wherever!), but far from all of them have. Yet ALL PNMs, regardless of what school they're going through recruitment at, will be looked at under a microscope... I do think it's a double standard.