GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,843
3 members and 1,840 guests
Cookiez17, naraht

Old 07-09-2003, 10:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
My question though as a silly Northerner - do you really get that much snow in Oklahoma?
Just a few times a year. And it doesn't stick for weeks on end.
I wish Texas was just that much more north so we could get some decent snow every once in a while.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Everyone has great things to say about rush at OU! The houses are great, and I can tell all the girls will be too!
Old 07-09-2003, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're going in as a freshman, be aware that you are required to live in University housing for two semesters (or 24 credit hours) if you are under 21 and are not living with your parents in the local area. No such thing as coed housing unless you're an upperclassman and apply early for the few spots on the 11th floor of Walker Tower (though things may have changed since then).

The pressure to 'go Greek' can be intense at OU, and there has always been a distinct 'gap' between Greeks and GDIs, especially during rush. But don't let that discourage you.

And yes... you can get some pretty good snows in Oklahoma! (Mind you, it's been 20 years since I was an undergrad there!)

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 07-10-2003, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I will be a freshman and living in the dorms, I can't wait to find out who my roommate will be!
I think I am prepared for what I'm getting myself into with rush, but I still know it could be tough. Ive just gotta keep an open mind!
As far as snow, I love snow, well everyonce and awhile!
Old 07-11-2003, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
Wow! love to live in "houses" like those. I liked the style of GPhiB & ZTA the most. Good luck with rush.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZetaMelOU
Quote:
Originally posted by cntryZTA5
I met the ZTA recruitment chair at our leadership conference a few weeks ago, she was great!

Good luck in recruitment, I'm sure you would be an asset to any of the chapters!
I love our recruitment chair. She's so awesome!

The best advice I can give anyone for rush at here at OU is to keep well hydrated case you'll be doing a lot of walking, wear comfy shoes so you won't have nasty blisters by the end of the day, and be sure to keep an open mind about everything. All the chapters here at OU are great! Each shines out in their own induvidual way. I don't think there's a single chapter here on campus that I dislike because they all bring something unique to the Greek system here. Also, people loooove to talk rumors in the dorms and I've come to learn, after hearing the rumors and then going to the school for a year, that 99% of the stuff you hear isn't true. Follow your heart and you'll find an excellent home!
Old 07-17-2003, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

That's right Kate and I are Alpha Gams at OU. She's my Little! I <3 my little.

OU rush is hectic. And remember that rush is taking place in 100 degree heat. And the humidity!

I encourage you to keep an open mind, and think about what you want in a house, not what people in your rush group want. No matter which house you join, you'll probably end up with friends in every house. OU has a terrific greek system.

My fav. houses are Mine, because it's home, the Zeta house, and the Theta house, but I think the rest are gorgeous too.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Good luck, hun! I don't know anything about Oklahoma, but one of our sisters is from there originally. I would assume the recruitment is just as competitive if not more so than here in the SouthEast. Hopefully you'll get a great roommate too. I've always ended up with random roommates that I had nothing in common with (and some odd roomies too).
Old 07-17-2003, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Rush is getting closer! I can't wait, I'm still real nervous! Everything yall have said has helped me. It's good to know that you feel the way you do about your greek system. It makes me a little more at ease.

As far as the heat, I think I can handle it, I've had my share of heat here in Texas! I'll def have to find some really comfortable shoes!
Thanks for the advice and insight! I am counting the days til rush!
Old 07-17-2003, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Unless the makeup's changed, Greek Row at OU is divided between North Greek and South Greek. The dividing line is Lindsey Street.

NORTH GREEK HOUSES

Kappa Kappa Gamma
Delta Gamma
Chi Omega
Kappa Alpha Theta
Alpha Gamma Delta

SOUTH GREEK HOUSES

Gamma Phi Beta
Alpha Chi Omega
Zeta Tau Alpha
Delta Delta Delta
Pi Beta Phi

Didn't know they rechartered Phi Mu and AOII... they were inactive when I was an undergrad 20 years ago.

Alpha Alpha (University of Oklahoma) Chapter, #814, 1984
Old 07-17-2003, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaSigOU
Unless the makeup's changed, Greek Row at OU is divided between North Greek and South Greek. The dividing line is Lindsey Street.

NORTH GREEK HOUSES

Kappa Kappa Gamma
Delta Gamma
Chi Omega
Kappa Alpha Theta
Alpha Gamma Delta

SOUTH GREEK HOUSES

Gamma Phi Beta
Alpha Chi Omega
Zeta Tau Alpha
Delta Delta Delta
Pi Beta Phi

Didn't know they rechartered Phi Mu and AOII... they were inactive when I was an undergrad 20 years ago.
AOII is in the old ATO (Alpha Tau Omega)) house, and they did major renovations to make it more of a sorority house, it's supposed to be really nice.

Phi Mu is in the old Alpha Phi house, which just so happens to be the largest fraternity/sorority house (struture square footage wise) in the US.

Both are on south greek.

Lindsay street separates North Greek from South Greek. North Greek is intersperced with single family homes, while South Greek is almost exclusively greek.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to brilia
I just wanted to restate what others have said about rush at OU. It is tons of fun but don't let rumors and others going through persuade you. Almost every girl I know found the right house for them. I have at least one friend in all 13 sororities. Some questions you can always ask your self:
Will I feel comfortable walking around looking my worst in front of these girls?
Will I benefit and grow from this sorority and vice versa? What can I do for them and what can they do for me?

These are questions that I asked and I found the right house for me.

Brittany
OU Alpha Gam
Old 07-17-2003, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks brilia that sounds like great advice! I will def keep it in mind! I am trying to keep a positive outlook on this, but how likely is it for a girl not to get a bid at all? I'm so afraid that will happen! Thanks!
Old 07-17-2003, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZetaMelOU
Hey girl!

This is why I love the way recruitment works at OU: you're guarenteed a bid from at least one of the two houses you have on pref night! I don't think you're guarenteed 2 houses on pref night, but in my experience since all the houses want to make quota (it's going to be 76 this year...the number is taken by the total number of girls rushing divided by the number of houses here), and girls drop out after the first few days, so just about everyone gets two houses on pref night! The only thing that would really put you in extreme danger of not getting 2 houses on pref night is if your GPA is really low and doesn't meet the minimum requirements for many houses. I think last year there were only about 5-10 girls total who did not get a bid out of 800 something simply because they went "suicide" and instead of ranking the houses 1 and 2, they completely cut one of the houses on the list and didn't get their first choice. I hope i explained it well for you. If I didn't, they'll drill the system into your head when you meet with the Rho Chi's. But to make a long story short, as long as you don't suicide on preference night, you're guarenteed a bid.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:26 AM
GreekChat Member

ZetaMelOU, thanks for explaining things to me! You dont know how much I am benefitting from this help! I can't believe rush is less than a month away!!