GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,185
1 members and 1,184 guests
No Members online

Old 09-21-2013, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Transfer Recruitment Story!

My Recruitment Story:

Hey everyone! Rushing as a sophomore, I did my thorough research on anything and everything Greek Life which eventually led me here. After reading everyone's recruitment stories, I thought I would return the favor and post my story to help someone else struggling with the anxieties and excitements of formal sorority recruitment!

A little bit about me: I transferred schools and rushed as a sophomore so I had a good first year of college experience under my belt. I had a 4.0 GPA & tons of friends in sororities at different schools so I knew what sorority recruitment & college life was like. Honestly, I wasn't very excited to call a bunch of random girls my sisters and was very wary that I would accept a sorority bid if I made it all the way to the end of recruitment. I've always been an extremely independent person so the idea of dressing the same as tons of other girls, being told what to do and how to act just didn't seem appealing to me. So you may be asking yourself, why did she even go through recruitment? Because I knew I would regret it if I didn't just see what happened. This is my first and most valuable piece of advice to anyone considering rushing: DO IT. Because if you don't you will always ask yourself what if. I was certain I was going to drop out of recruitment in the end, but I wanted to 100% make sure it wasn't for me before I gave up such a unique opportunity.

At my school we have 12 chapters, listed in no order below:

Skittles
M&M's
Twizzlers
Reese's
Almond Joy
Twix
Snickers
Laffy Taffy
Airheads
Starburst
Nerds
York

(SPOILER ALERT: Before big/little reveal, my big actually gave me one of these types of candy, therefore that's the code name for my sorority house. Yes, I actually joined a house! Good luck to anyone who can guess which candy ends up being my sorority home!!)

To be continued(:
Old 09-21-2013, 04:54 PM

uggggh on the username. just saying. honey boo boo or mama june would have been more dignified and less offensive.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Mmmmmmm Almond Joy........ Looking forward to candy goodness. Post away! But don't be coy, post it in a decent time frame, since we know you are finished!
Old 09-21-2013, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry 33girl, I'm only using this account to post this story so I needed something quick and non-identifiable to my affiliation! I'm not super creative as you can tell. More is coming Katmandu, but I just want to split things up so it isn't a super long post!
Old 09-21-2013, 05:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
uggggh on the username. just saying. honey boo boo or mama june would have been more dignified and less offensive.
Co-sign.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Luckily on the first day, we only visited 6 houses. Whoever had the idea of splitting up the houses is definitely the most caring person to all the PNM's in the horrible summer heat. In regards to my references, I believe there were 3 houses I didn't have references to. Those houses were Twix, Airheads & Starburst. At my school, I'd say references are pretty important since we had over 800 girls rushing, so always try to get references because anything that can make you look better helps! I also knew 2 girls affiliated with sororities at my school simply because we went to the same high school. I wasn't best friends by any means with them so I definitely was approaching recruitment with an open mind.

Day 1 list:
1) Snickers
2) M&Ms
3) Almond Joy
4) Nerds
5) Reese's
6) Airheads

From my own research, I got 3 out of the 4 houses I was most interested in learning about so I was super excited to get the day started!

Party 1: Snickers- I'm pretty outgoing so I knew the 15-20 minutes would fly by. When the doors opened and the girls were singing with SO much energy, I was mesmerized. Now, my last name is towards the end so I got a little bit more prep time to mentally prepare myself. When I finally got into the house, the decorations had a special meaning to me that I discussed with my rusher. She was so sweet and I loved talking to her! We had a lot in common and we instantly clicked. When the time was up, I was so sad to leave. I would have been content with just visiting this house!

Party 2: M&M's- Through that unavoidable tent talk, I had heard this group of girls was the "party" group. However, I knew several girls in this chapter at other schools so I was going to make my own assumptions while visiting. It was going to be hard to beat such a great experience at Snickers but I ended up really liking M&M's. The two girls I talked to were beautiful, very fun & easy to talk to. However, I didn't get that sense that I wanted to stay there forever like I did with Snickers.

Party 3: Almond Joy- Being the 3rd party, the PNM girls were starting to get a lot more comfortable in the houses with what to expect. However, this house really wanted you to get a feel for their house and that feeling just wasn't meshing with me. They made it more of a house tour and informational session than a one-on-one type process. I found the rushing awkward and not for me. I knew this house wouldn't rank high on my pref list.

Party 4: Nerds- I was really excited to visit this house because it was one of my top two houses that I was most looking forward to visiting. They didn't let me down because my rusher was super sweet. I didn't click as fast with her as the girl at Snickers but I knew I wanted to come back to this house. They definitely embodied the kind of person I wanted to surround myself with.

Party 5: Reese's- After already visiting the 3 houses I really wanted to visit, I felt these last two houses were more relaxed. Going into Reese's, my rusher was absolutely gorgeous. I was a little intimidated because she seemed so well put together to basically judge every word you say. However, I put on a smile and talked like I would any other person. She seemed a little bit more distant and I couldn't really read her. I figured I wasn't going to get invited back. I wasn't that concerned with being invited back to this house or not. Every house I visited was great, I was having an amazing time & it was really changing my outlook on sorority life.

Party 6: Airheads- When I finally got into this house, all I could think about was the noise level. It was crazy loud in this house! I have bad hearing to begin with so when the active and I were talking, I simply had to nod my head at times because I had absolutely no idea what she was saying. I knew this house was going to be last on my drop list. Maybe I just had a very bad first impression but I guess that's the way things go during recruitment.

Since we still had to visit the other 6 houses the next day, we did not preference. However, this is how I ranked them in my journal:

1) Nerds
2) Snickers
3) M&M's
4) Reese's
5) Almond Joy
6) Airheads
Old 09-21-2013, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Day Number 2!

Having to visit the other 6 houses, I knew this day would go by slower because we were anxious and ready to get into all the houses since we knew the drill.

Party List:
1) Twizzlers
2) Skittles
3) Twix
4) Laffy Taffy
5) Starburst
6) York

Party 1: Twizzlers- As you may recall, I said I had 4 favorites that I was most looking forward to learning about. Already visiting the other 3 yesterday, Twizzlers was number one on my most interested list. However, knowing a girl from this sorority, I didn't necessarily think I would fit in with this group of girls. Going into the house, I was bumped SEVERAL times. I could never tell if being bumped was a good or bad thing but it was extremely hard to keep changing conversations every 2 minutes. I had mixed emotions about this house. I really wanted to love it but something was holding me back.

Party 2: Skittles- Knowing absolutely nothing about this house, I was relaxed and ready to just have a good conversation. When I got into the house, my rusher seemed really interested in everything I had to say. Her enthusiasm and attention towards me really made me like this house. She was so easy to talk to and I was the very last person that left the house because we just kept talking and talking. I took this as she had to love talking to me too. This house unexpectedly soared to my number one house. I loved it!!

Party 3: Twix- After visiting this house, I couldn't remember any of the girls names/conversations or anything outstanding about this house. It just seemed okay and I knew it was going to be on my drop list.

Party 4: Laffy Taffy- Okay, so I know we aren't suppose to go into recruitment with pre conceived judgements but I was never ever going to join this house. Honestly, it was for the dumb reason that I was bitter enemies with a girl in high school who was now an active in this sorority. I could never call that girl my sister. But I wasn't going to be mean or stuck up while visiting the house. So I put my best foot forward and... actually ended up liking the house. It was so homey inside and the girls I talked to was so fun. It was refreshing to feel so accepted and not even like we were being judged. I couldn't believe I was saying it, but they were going to rank high on my list.

Party 5: Starburst- This was another greek sorority that I knew absolutely nothing about. However, I had a good conversation with my rusher. She seemed very well rounded and classy and I knew it was a house I would love to be invited back to.

Party 6: York- Out of all 12 houses, I believe this conversation was the hardest to keep going. Maybe it was because it was the last house or the rusher was nervous but something just didn't click. I wrote in my journal, "average" because I didn't hate or love this house. I'd go back just because I would like to give the house another chance.

Today we preferenced! We ranked our top 9 then our bottom 3 from Day 1 & 2. My rankings were:

1) Skittles
2) Snickers
3) Laffy Taffy
4) Nerds
5) Starburst
6) M&M's
7) Reese's
8) Twizzlers
9) York
Bottom 3:
10) Twix
11) Almond Joy
12) Airheads

We could get invited back to a maximum of 9 houses for philanthropy day. As a transfer, I didn't really know what to expect but had to just wait & see!
Old 11-28-2013, 02:04 PM
GreekChat Member

And then it stops. Again. I'm going to HAVE to start reading from the end, just to make sure there is an end.

Adding another one to the "needs ghost writer" pile.