GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 832
0 members and 832 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Joining a new sorority

I went to Chapman University for my freshman year and I was initiated into a sorority. I then transferred to a new school that does not have this sorority, so I disaffiliated. I know that technically with the rules once you have been initiated you can't ever join a different sorority, but I was wondering if there is ever any way around this. I found a thread a few days ago where someone had said that they had a sister in their sorority who had been able to be completely "released" from their sorority and able to rush again at their new school since their old sorority was not at their new school. I know this has been asked so many times, but since I saw a post about it happening I wanted to know if anyone else has ever heard of this being a thing? Should I try to see if I can be "released" and allowed to rush at my new school? I really loved being a part of a sisterhood, and I don't want to go through my entire college career without it, but it looks like I may not have any other option. Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2013, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Being "released" most often refers to recruitment. If a young woman is released from a chapter during recruitment, that chapter has decided not to offer her membership.

If you were initiated into an NPC sorority, the chapter offered you membership and you accepted. You then went through a process culminating in initiation into that sorority. If you were initiated into an NPC sorority, you are not permitted to join another one under any circumstances.

You are, however, free to join a service sorority/fraternity, special interest sorority, professional sorority, etc. But, not one in the NPC.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greek1423 View Post
I went to Chapman University for my freshman year and I was initiated into a sorority. I then transferred to a new school that does not have this sorority, so I disaffiliated. I know that technically with the rules once you have been initiated you can't ever join a different sorority, but I was wondering if there is ever any way around this. I found a thread a few days ago where someone had said that they had a sister in their sorority who had been able to be completely "released" from their sorority and able to rush again at their new school since their old sorority was not at their new school. I know this has been asked so many times, but since I saw a post about it happening I wanted to know if anyone else has ever heard of this being a thing? Should I try to see if I can be "released" and allowed to rush at my new school? I really loved being a part of a sisterhood, and I don't want to go through my entire college career without it, but it looks like I may not have any other option. Thanks!
AlwaysSAI is correct in that you cannot join another NPC sorority once you have already been initiated into another. Is there an alumnae chapter of your sorority near?
Old 08-21-2013, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

If you joined an NPC, try contacting your HQ. They could possibly put you in contact with alumnae chapters. If you have alum status, perhaps even nearby chapters could use volunteers!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

What do you mean by you "disaffiliated"? Did you resign your membership? If so, you are not an alumnae.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
What do you mean by you "disaffiliated"? Did you resign your membership? If so, you are not an alumnae.
But still not eligible for an NPC group.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
But still not eligible for an NPC group.
Yes, you are right. Several people suggested that she get in touch with the local alumnae group. If she resigned her membership, she would not be able to join the alumnae group either.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes I resigned my membership so I definitely wouldn't be able to do anything with my old chapter anymore. I was just confused because I know of people who have somehow found a way around this rule and have joined a different sorority at a different school after being initiated into one at their old school.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greek1423 View Post
Yes I resigned my membership so I definitely wouldn't be able to do anything with my old chapter anymore. I was just confused because I know of people who have somehow found a way around this rule and have joined a different sorority at a different school after being initiated into one at their old school.
SHAME ON YOU. Your vows meant that little to you when you made them? And don't try to pee on our legs and tell us it is raining. You aren't confused a damned bit. You are looking for a way to game the system and trick another organization into pledging you. You thought a room full of Greeks who love and respect their organizations were going to help you do that? You are sadly mistaken.

BTW, there was absolutely no reason for you to resign your membership if you transferred to another school, so I call shenanigans on this person.
Go away.

Last edited by thetalady; 08-21-2013 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added BTW
Closed Thread