GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,335
1 members and 1,334 guests
No Members online

Old 05-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Banned

As the morning news pointed out, there is irony in this. The accused attended the same high school as the Duke lacrosse players. During the Duke lacrosse accusations, the accused's father (from the UVA incident) spoke in support of the Duke players and said something to the effect of "these kids don't do stuff like this.". I forget exactly what he said.

Huge irony. Horrific tragedy. Rest in peace to this young lady. Sad way to end a young life, to end a school year, to end a college experience, and to end winning lacrosse seasons.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

An update on the case. Pretty disturbing.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaDancer View Post
An update on the case. Pretty disturbing.
I also read that he says it was an "accident." I'd like to hear how he'd explain that scene. So sad that promising young women can be so helpless in the end.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-04-2010, 05:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
As the morning news pointed out, there is irony in this. The accused attended the same high school as the Duke lacrosse players. During the Duke lacrosse accusations, the accused's father (from the UVA incident) spoke in support of the Duke players and said something to the effect of "these kids don't do stuff like this.". I forget exactly what he said.

Huge irony. Horrific tragedy. Rest in peace to this young lady. Sad way to end a young life, to end a school year, to end a college experience, and to end winning lacrosse seasons.
He went to the same school as 1 of the falsely accused Duke Lacrosse players, David Evans, who now, along with the other 2 falsely accused players, Colin Finerty (Chaminade HS, NJ), and Reade Seligman (Delbarton School, NJ) have thankfully moved on with their lives.

So, in the case of the 3 Duke players, those kids didn't do stuff like this, but tragically, now his own son has done something horrific.

All that being said, this is a huge tragedy and I cannot imagine what the parents are going through. So terribly sad.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Another update; this one from the Washington Post includes details of the alleged murderer's previous run-in with police a couple of years ago, with Tasering, arrest, etc.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...050402215.html
Old 05-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
He went to the same school as 1 of the falsely accused Duke Lacrosse players, David Evans, who now, along with the other 2...accused players, Colin Finerty (Chaminade HS, NJ), and Reade Seligman (Delbarton School, NJ) have thankfully moved on with their lives.

...but tragically, now his own son has done something horrific.
Uh...so you grasped the irony. Congrats.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

To clarify, Chaminade High School is in New York, not New Jersey, it's actually quite famous and prestigious. It's run by the same religious order that runs my high school.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Ugh. I did not mean to open up that can of lacrosse worms. I am a lacrosse mom, I noted their lacrosse affiliations in an earlier post because both teams are at the pinnacle of their collegiate level sports. Would have mentioned it if they were on other highly ranked and regarded sports teams there, like the soccer teams, women's field hockey team...
Old 05-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbymidwest View Post
Ugh. I did not mean to open up that can of lacrosse worms. I am a lacrosse mom, I noted that because both teams are at the pinnacle of their collegiate level sports. Would have mentioned it if they were on other highly ranked and regarded sports teams there, like the soccer teams, women's field hockey team...
What are you talking about?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
She was a Theta and lacrosse player on the #4 ranked women's D-1 college lacrosse team (UVA) in the nation. Her alleged killer is a player on the #1 college men's D-1 lacrosse team (also UVA). Reports are that they were previously in a relationship. Regardless, so very, very sad.
This is the post I was talking about-on the first page.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
I knew which post. LOL.

Where is the can of worms that it opened?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusySorostitute View Post
but i must add... just because they were proven innocent in court does not mean we have to believe their actual innocence. hey oj simpson. that aside, this is a terrible situation. my heart goes out to yeardley's family, friends, and the UVA community.
They weren't proven innocent in court because there was no trial. The NC attorney general dropped the charges and declared them innocent because the accuser was proven to be telling tales based on irrefutable evidence and alibis. The initial prosecutor on the case was eventually disbarred for dishonesty and also found guilty of criminal contempt.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusySorostitute View Post
oh wow... well although i do not know everything that happened and was not present at the time ...these are boys who had access to powerful lawyers. i can't help feeling that this had nothing to do with the outcome of their case and i know others share my sentiment. i won't be surprised if this current case benefits from similar privilege. if these men DID in fact accuse the crimes they were accused of, i would not be surprised if it were not at least partially the result of a sense of entitlement among them
You'd best make yourself familiar with the details of this case before you make any more statements about the possibility of them being guilty. They didn't do it and they suffered long term damage that will follow them the rest of their lives because of the accusations.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What does that have to do with "opening a can of lacrosse worms"? We all knew they played lacrosse; it was stated in the first post, in the first article.

ETA: And...I should have read DrPhil's post that pretty much said the same thing. Oops!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

There has been no mention of it, but does anyone know if he is a fraternity member?