GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,257
3 members and 2,254 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD

Old 01-08-2009, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydoll2012 View Post
WOW guys, I didn't realize that so many people were reading this. I was logged on before class, went to class, and when I came back I had 5 PMs for the code. Thanks for being so interested, it makes me feel special
But you ARE special! We are totally glued to this thread! Can't wait to hear more!
Old 01-08-2009, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhiAnna View Post
Ooooh let's let this one roll, I want to see how it turns out, nobody scare her away like they do in some recruitment threads.
Someone's trying to scare me away already, and although I don't scare easily, I think she may have a point. I'm going to keep writing, but i'm not giving out the code anymore. I might end up changing the codes completely, but that might be too much work. My school isn't all that competitive, but better safe than sorry, right?
Old 01-08-2009, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Eek I'm sorry I made the suggestion!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay, well, looks like I'm going to stop writing. After just a few days, I've already been "scared" off. I've already received a few unfriendly PMs from people, as well as a few friendly warnings from people who actually seem to mean well. If someone would honestly try to ruin my rush experience because I said that one of the sororities on my campus has a reputation for being the "fat girls," or the "snobby" girls even though that's NOT MY PERSONAL OPINION, well, maybe I just don't want anything to do with sororities anyway. As a naturally optimistic person, I just find it hard to believe that some people can be so cruel. I believe that the sorority girls at my school have more class than some of the girls I've found here. So, hopefully, IF I do go through rush, I'll find real women instead of catty girls. And thanks to everyone who has been genuinely supportive, I really appreciate it.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

boo to someone ruining the only actual "brutally honest" recruitment thread we have - the other threads that call themselves "brutally honest" are full of it!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

It was highly foolish to recommend she PM the code out. A member should know that GC can and has impacted a recruitment before.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

A mom here: Don't let a few people scare you out of rushing. There is a definite upside: you meet new people, and you might meet your new sorority sisters. There are rude people on this planet, there are cruel, non-supportive, backstabbing PEOPLE. (Please notice that I didn't limit or include people in the Greek system.) Rush, forget the meanness that you may, or may not, have encountered, and see for yourself what if being offered. Don't give someone else the power to dictate your future.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Arghhh for once I would love to see an 18 year old girl with an actual 18 year old girl mentality write a recruitment thread without people freaking out and kicking her off. I understand the need to be PC, but let's face it, when the overwhelming majority of girls rush there ARE things like stereotypes/pre-conceived notions/drama etc. involved in their decision making processes. Why do we have to a) pretend like they are mature 40 year wold women or b) freak out and stalk them for being an 18 year old?

If it is your opinion that a woman with that type of attitude will fail at recruitment, then let the thread run and see if it truly would happen or not. I know I went into recruitment with a LOT of negative stereotypes (as did all my friends) that affected our decisions, and it doesn't mean that we were terrible members...rather, after initiation we realized the folly of being "brutally honest" and laugh at the way we made our decisions/impressions. It all worked out and we all got chapters that we really did fit in with and were cut from those we didn't.

I can see trying to help a woman understand why stereotypes are wrong, but I don't see the point of ruining a PNM's chance at a lifetime of sisterhood, without knowing ANYTHING about her grades/accomplishments/talents, for thinking like 90% (or more) of the other PNMs going through recruitment.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:33 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
It was highly foolish to recommend she PM the code out. A member should know that GC can and has impacted a recruitment before.
It's only foolish if someone recommended PMing the code with the intent of sabotaging her rush.

If someone suggests PMing the code and that person happens to be A GCer WHO TOOK A FEW YEARS OFF FROM GREEKCHAT, how the hell would she know how GC impacts rush? FWIW, alphagamzetagam and I come from a GC that did not do code names for rush stories. PNMs put themselves out there and still had great outcomes. In a perfect GC world, every rush story would be like curlygurly's.

A pox on you, alphagamzetagam, for your foolish suggestion! Let the flogging commence!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Ack! Maybe my reading comprehension is down or my mind is going but I didn't realize this was a live recruitment. I think I'm mixing up threads now because didn't we just have a "brutally honest" thread that was retro?

A. fantASTic - get off your high horse. My comment was not the only one asking the OP for the code. As a matter of fact, I didn't even PM and ask the OP for a code. Sometimes I like just reading recruitment story threads for the entertainment value, and don't mind that I don't get the full story.

B. WE ALL KNOW THAT THERE ARE STEREOTYPES LIKE THESE ON EVERY CAMPUS. In fact, of the five chapters that were on my campus, each of the "campus stereotypes" that were talked about here are represented. When I was a senior, a freshman asked me, upon finding out my affiliation, "why are you in the ... sorority?" It happens, and with the advent of websites that shall remain nameless, it happens quicker than it used to. I don't know why we get so surprised or offended when a PNM gets on here and mentions that there is a group on campus called the "fat sorority" or "snobby."

In fact, I would go so far as to guarantee that 90% of us, as actives on campus or as potential new members, at least once called another sorority by one of their negative stereotypes. Sure, to post it online shows a lack of discretion, which is why I don't really like the live threads anyway - they make me nervous.

I guess it's my bad though for not realizing this was live. I thought the OP was posting under a pseudonym? At any rate, maybe this thread would be better after the fact.

Just let us know how it goes, ok?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't go away completely! Let us know how things turn out. I am crossing my fingers for you!!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Alright, I'll come back after recruitment and finish the story, no matter what the outcome. Sound good?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Dammit. I was looking forward to your story. I had it earmarked too.

I hope you do go through recruitment and find genuine girls there that make you feel like you belong in their sisterhood. I'm sorry some asses here on GC scared you off.

Good luck and if you do log on sometime after recruitment is over, I hope you let us know how it turned out.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:16 PM
AEcutiePhi

Thank you! I hate to start reading these and never hear what happens in the end.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamzetagam View Post
Ack! Maybe my reading comprehension is down or my mind is going but I didn't realize this was a live recruitment.
You weren't the only one. I thought the OP had already gone through recruitment. But i'll be honest and say I assumed it after I read the OP has another name on GC.

I do hope the OP comes back and writes her recruitment story...it would be nice to read an ACTUAL brutally honest story.