GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,418
3 members and 2,415 guests
No Members online

Old 05-07-2004, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi. For those of you that remember, I'm on Exec at Gamma Phi at Alabama. We love Carla, and we have accepted Carla. She is a gorgeous, talented and intelligent young lady, and I deeply resent anything that is said about rush being rigged here at Alabama.

Carla was very afraid of having media attention the entire way through rush. That is the sole reason she did nto attend Preference Night, and we knew that. Of course, she got plenty the next day, but we tried to shield her as much as possible.

True, if we hadn't integrated, the entire greek system would have looked bad. Very bad. And we knew that. BUT, we knew Carla would fit right in. We have other minorities in our house, who the hell cares?

It's also true that we were afraid swaps and other social events would lack due to the greek system's racism. Thankfully, plenty of fraternities supported us, and we had a great time this year as far as swaps and parties go.

But tell me why is it OK for houses here to take a token woman of Asian, Middle-Eastern or Hispanic descent, sometimes with different religions and languages, but when it is an African-American born right here in Alabama it is a bigger deal? Because people on this campus cannot get over the past, and they let their alums control their houses.

Gamma Phi is lucky to be an autonomous house -- we get alum support no matter what.

We integrated. We were the ones who knew what was right for our house, for Carla, fo the University of Alabama. We had the BALLS to do what was right, and we did it. END OF STORY.
Old 05-07-2004, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks you phimuandfries!!! and thank you kk_gphib_01 for telling everyone more of the truth!!
Old 05-07-2004, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
atleast she is honest about what is happening at her campus...
But she wasn't being honest about what is happening at her campus. As was pointed out earlier, she was spreading untruths. I would have thought it was nice if she actually apologized, but she didn't. She just came back and said that her post was "misread." I don't see how it could have been misread. If she wanted to apologize for telling lies, that would be one thing. Trying to go back and change the story doesn't constitute an apology and it doesn't mean that we all misread an entire post.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:49 AM
GreekChat Member

What was she not honest about? She said that she didn't mean to spread rumors... I am guessing that the rumor is about the conspiracy to keep things segregated. It was a rumor she heard, and BamaAlumna cleared it up.

I don't think anyone gave her the opportunity to apologize... everyone just seemed to jump onto the We Hate Her Because She Said Recruitment Was Rigged... that wasn't fair to her and (I believe) that it was natural for her to want to defend herself first.

Maybe now that she knows the holierthanthou GCers would like an apology for spreading "untruths" she will gladly give yall one... i just think yall need to lay off the "im glad to know she isn't one of us" and "i pray to God you aren't in my sorority".... yall are treating this girl like she is pregnant or something...
Old 05-07-2004, 03:49 AM
GreekChat Member

i really and truely am sorry for what i said. i have already apologized but if you would like another one here it is I AM SORRY!!!! if you have anything else to ask or say to me then send me a private message and i will talk to you one on one about the issue but i am pretty sure ya'll have finished crucifying me, thanks!
Old 05-07-2004, 08:55 AM
GreekChat Member

When were women allowed to vote? Isn't that what this thread is about?
Old 05-07-2004, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

<intended humor removed by author in case some GC'ers took it wrong way>

Last edited by decadence; 05-07-2004 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-07-2004, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to HederaNaturale Send a message via Yahoo to HederaNaturale
Quote:
Originally posted by phimuandfries
.... yall are treating this girl like she is pregnant or something...
I PROMISED myself I was NOT gonna post in this thread... I'm still not posting ON this thread, but I gotta post on that comment. *lol*
Old 05-07-2004, 09:47 AM

It's kind of hollow to say "I'm sorry I spread incorrect rumors" and leave them there for all to see. If someone tells you you've misspoken or are wrong, you CAN fix or delete the post.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bamabelle005
argh!!!! I AM NOT A RASICT!!! i would love to have an african american girl in our house!!!!! i don't agree with everything that goes on here at bama, i was simply trying to explain it to people that haven't stepped foot on this campus! and you can't really expect many african american students to go through rush with all of the drama and publicity that goes on with being an african american going through the "traditionally white" rush and fyi there are asian and hispanic girls in each house!

I don't think your comments make you "racist." Calling you a "racist" is throwing that term around much too loosely.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
It's kind of hollow to say "I'm sorry I spread incorrect rumors" and leave them there for all to see. If someone tells you you've misspoken or are wrong, you CAN fix or delete the post.
well, if that's what yall felt she should have done why didn't you say that? women and their "you have to read my mind to make me happy" ideas...she is going to delete the post and yall are probably going to say "well, what good did that do? we still remember it.... go get one of those memory zappers like the Men in Black had... then we will be happy... maybe"...just can't please ya
Old 05-07-2004, 11:08 AM

Quote:
well, if that's what yall felt she should have done why didn't you say that?
I just did, numnuts.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

well i kinda meant before all the really mean posts....so why didn't you say it then? did you enjoy watching all you gc friends rip a girl to shreds for nothing? geez you people are SOOOO friendly...
Old 05-07-2004, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I just did, numnuts.

How do you know her nuts are "num?"
Old 05-07-2004, 11:45 AM

Quote:
well i kinda meant before all the really mean posts....so why didn't you say it then? did you enjoy watching all you gc friends rip a girl to shreds for nothing? geez you people are SOOOO friendly...
...and you sound SOOOOO sensitive.

People can't "rip you to shreds" on a message board unless you're emotionally affected by this stuff. The girl said what she said and people responded. Now, people think she should've edited her posts, but didn't say that before they responded to her the way they did. Oh-freaken-well.