GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,878
0 members and 1,878 guests
No Members online

Old 02-19-2009, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Not Sure What to Make of this "Recruitment" Strategy...

Ok so according to XYZ's recruitment page, recruitment had ended a few weeks ago in January. Last week, I was invited to an ice cream social and then to a dinner at the XYZ house.

Not only was I the only non-sorority member there both times, but I never got information about anything after that. It's been a week and I've emailed the coordinator, but still no response.

And then yesterday, I received another invitation to a fund rasier they put on annually.

What does this mean? I'm just confused...
Old 02-19-2009, 01:07 AM

The fundraiser invite might be a general invite that they send to everyone, not just something for you.

Also, I am not quite sure what you are aking when you say you "don't get it."

If they aren't getting back to you about futher recruitment opportunities or invites, they may not be interested in having you as a member. It doesn't matter how many girls did or didn't show up to the event.

Can you elaborate?

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Were there members from other groups there? How do you know this sorority? Did you rush and not receive a bid?

Many times sororities that would be interested in getting to know a potential more will invite her to multiple functions when they are not extending bids. It DOES increase her chance of getting a bid in the long run (for the most part, because she knows more members).

Bottom line: if you are interested in getting a bid, continue to go. But if they are ONLY inviting you to stuff they want you to spend money at (like fundraisers and stuff) then they are probably just trying to raise money and are not interested in you as a member.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Well I think it was just odd that I was the only girl who wasn't a member at the dinner and ice cream social. Usually the other sororities invite a good handful of girls during recruitment.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, no I never rushed with this sorority. Other sororites I did and didn't receive bids. One girl from the sorority has classes with me, so I guess that's how I was invited.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppyLove87 View Post
Well I think it was just odd that I was the only girl who wasn't a member at the dinner and ice cream social. Usually the other sororities invite a good handful of girls during recruitment.
Well, who knows why there weren't more girls there?

There could be any number of reasons for that.

Also, the fudraising invite may have been like a "mass" invite, not something meant just for you.

It's possible for a sorority to invite you to a fundraiser without being interested in you as a member, if that's what you're wondering.

It's also possble that they are not extending bids at this time and just wanted to meet girls at the social. It's also possible that they are extending bids and you just weren't extended one.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 02-19-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:19 AM
GreekChat Member

If you can handle the thought that you may not get a bid, keep going. Maybe more women need to meet you so they feel comfortable inviting you to join their membership. If their philanthropy event is something you'd go to anyway, go.

I would NOT bring up membership at the philanthropy event (unless asked a direct question such as "Are you interested in joining XYZ?").

One thing that may be happening is that the woman you emailed is no longer the "coordinator" as many groups bring in new officers with the new calendar year. My best advice is to be patient (if you want to join any sorority) and be kind and polite. That sort of classy and mature behavior will always pay off, and you won't be featured in a GC post about a weird or strange PNM. Even if this group isn't interested in having you as a member, your actions in this situation will likely play out if you go through formal or informal recruitment in the future.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Yea, I know the fundraiser was meant for a bunch of people, I just needed clarfication on those other 2 past events. I just wasn't sure what it meant, if it meant anything.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
If you can handle the thought that you may not get a bid, keep going. Maybe more women need to meet you so they feel comfortable inviting you to join their membership. If their philanthropy event is something you'd go to anyway, go.

I would NOT bring up membership at the philanthropy event (unless asked a direct question such as "Are you interested in joining XYZ?").

One thing that may be happening is that the woman you emailed is no longer the "coordinator" as many groups bring in new officers with the new calendar year. My best advice is to be patient (if you want to join any sorority) and be kind and polite. That sort of classy and mature behavior will always pay off, and you won't be featured in a GC post about a weird or strange PNM. Even if this group isn't interested in having you as a member, your actions in this situation will likely play out if you go through formal or informal recruitment in the future.
Ooh, ok, that makes sense. Yea I don't mind going to these events, they're fun and the girls are nice. I just wasn't sure what was going on, I'm unfamiliar with some of these processes. Thank you .
Old 02-19-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Yea, I know the fundraiser was meant for a bunch of people, I just needed clarfication on those other 2 past events. I just wasn't sure what it meant, if it meant anything.
It could mean:

*They just wanted to meet girls and not extend bids to anyone.

*They are extending bids at this time, and they just weren't interested in giving you one.

*They're planning on inviting you to future recruitment events.

I would keep attending events if invited and just see what happens.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Ooh, ok, that makes sense. Yea I don't mind going to these events, they're fun and the girls are nice. I just wasn't sure what was going on, I'm unfamiliar with some of these processes. Thank you .
Here's a true story: I have friends in other sororities, and sometimes when we know a woman isn't a good fit for our sisterhood, but still a great person, we pass their names on to our panhellenic sisters. Or if for some reason they decided to go the formal recruitment route after freshman year, we give our friends a heads up, or as I am an alumna, help them secure recs. That also goes for other events and activities we're involved in, which can, but does not guarantee, an extension of membership in the future. Presenting yourself positively can only help you.

What do you have to lose or gain by going to these events? Are you truly interested in membership? Can you handle rejection? These are all questions you need to ask yourself and keep in mind if you pursue membership.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

maybe one of their new members dropped out and they are considering filling that vacant spot, even though their website says they are finished with recruitment events. maybe they are taking their time filling that spot, to ensure that this new member will be a sure bet, and not drop out.

if you feel like it, go and enjoy yourself. if it becomes tedious and no longer fun, politely decline.

please let us know what happens. i'm intrigued!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

A few questions:

You say that recruitment ended a few weeks ago... are you talking about FORMAL recruitment?

Did the dinner and ice cream social definitely feel like informal recruitment events?

If so, could it be possible that other invited guests just simply didn’t show up?

How long ago did these events take place?

How were you invited to them?

How were you invited to the fundraiser?

@~/~~~~
Old 02-19-2009, 09:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Frankly, I'm not sure that it necessarily meant anything.

I'm not going to attempt to guess the motives for a chapter I know nothing about at a school I do not know. If it is really bothering you, I'd ask one of your close friends in the sorority why you seem to be the only non-member showing up to these events.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas City View Post
Frankly, I'm not sure that it necessarily meant anything.

I'm not going to attempt to guess the motives for a chapter I know nothing about at a school I do not know. If it is really bothering you, I'd ask one of your close friends in the sorority why you seem to be the only non-member showing up to these events.
I would NOT do this...asking somebody from a chapter why "I was the only non-member here" could be seriously awkward...maybe they invited 50 girls and she was the only one who showed up (obviously a little exaggerated)...in that type of scenario it would be a seriously rude question and even her closer friends in the chapter might reconsider giving her a bid.

BUT my biggest question is this: are you sure these were informal recruitment events? They very well may be. But, for example, women from my chapter will invite close friends to meals all the time simply because they want to hang out with their friends. Other sororities have things like ice-cream sundae events for the entire school. You could have been the only non-member at dinner simply because it was a random night for a friend to bring somebody to dinner. You could have been the only non-member at the ice cream social if your school's Greek community has a small impact and the event wasn't advertised well.

Did the sorority make quota? Are they at total? Are you even sure that these were meant to be events where they bid women? I am not attacking you or anything, just wondering.