GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,465
1 members and 1,464 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 09-18-2011, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I couldn't believe there was an era when ANY of those outfits screamed "top tier"!
I went to school a couple years after this article, and the Pi Phi, Kappa, and Theta wear was basically the norm for everyone; it was a place where most students were from, well, financially comfortable backgrounds.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-18-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
And I don't get the Tri Delta photo. She talks about Farrah and then they put up an example that doesn't resemble Farrah at all.
You have to remember that "college Farrah" and "Hollywood Farrah" are about 10 years apart. I'm sure that in the 1960s, most Tri Delts there probably did look like this:

As for the pictures, the first 3 look like The Official Preppy Handbook and the second three look like Sears Fall/Winter Catalog 1978.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
You have to remember that "college Farrah" and "Hollywood Farrah" are about 10 years apart. I'm sure that in the 1960s, most Tri Delts there probably did look like this:

As for the pictures, the first 3 look like The Official Preppy Handbook and the second three look like Sears Fall/Winter Catalog 1978.
Right. That is more what I would expect based on the description.

Where did you dig up the photo?

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:09 PM

I just googled "farrah graduation picture."
Old 09-18-2011, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugmom View Post
Also, these opinions are carried on from generation to generation....this article has been around a long time and like you said, some of these descriptions are accurate and many are no longer true at all.
Same is true for the NPHC - both for the fraternities and sororities.

/lane swerve/

Quote:

The one thing I will agree is still true is the "camp factor" and coming from the "right" high school..those two factors are alive and well with UT recruitment.
This makes sense to me. If you've known someone since going to camp from maybe elementary school through high school, then you've known that person for a long time, you know how they are, you are comfortable with them. Same with high school, where you've probably attended the same middle and elementary schools too.

I think the camp factor and hs factor are just that you've known that person for a very long time so you feel they are a safe bet / low risk for membership.

/lane swerve/
Old 09-18-2011, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmadiva View Post
This makes sense to me. If you've known someone since going to camp from maybe elementary school through high school, then you've known that person for a long time, you know how they are, you are comfortable with them. Same with high school, where you've probably attended the same middle and elementary schools too.

I think the camp factor and hs factor are just that you've known that person for a very long time so you feel they are a safe bet / low risk for membership.
This. And the fact that if you've known them THAT well for THAT long, they're already like a sister in many ways. Just makes sense that you'd want to "formalize" that sisterhood. Many PNM's that are close friends from camp (but grew up in different cities) try to pledge the same group so they can be together all the time.

I haven't read the camp article (I linked earlier) in awhile, but I remember it does a great job of showing just how deep these ties run.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I also believe the camp factor is big at UT but with the competitive nature of admissions, it will become less a factor as not as many camp girls will gain admission OR camp girls start to make academic summer choices to increase their chances for a spot at UT. You have to get that acceptance letter before you ever apply for recruitment. But the camp girls that do make it to UT do have an edge…the bond is long and strong.

The fact is things have changed at UT. If we could just get that through the heads of PNMs I feel more rush experiences would be more positive and fulfilling.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I haven't posted in a while, but I am chiming in just because I seem to be getting a really negative vibe for members of some of the so called - big 6 house that is not fair (JMO based on the experience of many girls I know there now).

Quote:
So Suzy PNM pledges a Big 6 only to find out that her “must have Big 6” is on academic probation and their social calendar is highly restricted because the chapter GPA is bottom of the barrel. (She is shocked because how can a Big 6 have one of the lowest GPAs??) She has never read about that, but like I said, the rules have changed, but no one is willing to talk about that…it just seems so easy to talk about the way it used to be. And then Amy PNM also pledges her “must have Big 6” only to find out that this group of women who on paper are class acts (you know they were all raised that way…) behave in ways that embarrass her and in a million years she just can’t figure out how that can be. Then Brooke PNM who followed her heart and was not pressured to believe the Big 6 is all that and a bag of chips; finds a true sisterhood, in an academically excellent chapter and loves that her house focuses on excellence instead of slamming everyone else to appear better.
Girls in the big 6 are just as academically capable as girls in other sororities (and the comment about being on academica probation - which house is on academic probation? I don't know of one, Just checked the Dean of Students Grade report and the lowest big 6 gpa is a 3.3).

Girls in other sororities can act like idiots and embarrass themselves and their houses too, that's certainly not limited to big 6 girls.

True sisterhood can be found in ALL the houses at UT. Every house is going to have people who get involved and people who just show up for chapter dinner and parties.

Who is slamming others to make themselves appear better?

Quote:
In my daughter's case that is an unbelievable sisterhood, lifelong friends, and very, very little back stabbing and drama. This was not what she witnessed with some of her friends that got caught up in the "Big 6 " hype and later regretted thier decisions. I often wonder what some of thier retention rates are like..
Lifelong bonds are happening in big 6 houses too, and their retention rates are just fine from what I know.

And, there can be backstabbing and drama in ALL the houses. I mean come on - you've got a house of 200 girls - there's going to be drama~

Anyway - back to lurking.

Carnation - the comment from your friend about having 3 boys - AMEN!! LOL

Last edited by srmom; 09-19-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightisgreat View Post
I also believe the camp factor is big at UT but with the competitive nature of admissions, it will become less a factor as not as many camp girls will gain admission OR camp girls start to make academic summer choices to increase their chances for a spot at UT. You have to get that acceptance letter before you ever apply for recruitment. But the camp girls that do make it to UT do have an edge…the bond is long and strong.

The fact is things have changed at UT. If we could just get that through the heads of PNMs I feel more rush experiences would be more positive and fulfilling.
True, but with the economy as it is, many "camp girls" that would have gone to a more competitive private university will stay in state and go to UT. Girls with deep ties to UT have historically passed up private universities for UT - that only becomes more important now. Also remember, that many of these "camp girls" also go to VERY competitive private (and public) high schools, so actually getting into UT is less of an issue. I think this factor actually becomes a wash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
I haven't posted in a while, but I am chiming in just because I seem to be getting a really negative vibe for members of some of the so called - big 6 house that is not fair (JMO based on the experience of many girls I know there now).

Girls in the big 6 are just as academically capable as girls in other sororities (and the comment about being on academica probation - which house is on academic probation? I don't know of one, Just checked the Dean of Students Grade report and the lowest big 6 gpa is a 3.3).

Girls in other sororities can act like idiots and embarrass themselves and their houses too, that's certainly not limited to big 6 girls.

True sisterhood can be found in ALL the houses at UT. Every house is going to have people who get involved and people who just show up for chapter dinner and parties.

Who is slamming others to make themselves appear better?

Lifelong bonds are happening in big 6 houses too, and their retention rates are just fine from what I know.

And, there can be backstabbing and drama in ALL the houses. I mean come on - you've got a house of 200 girls - there's going to be drama~

Anyway - back to lurking.

Carnation - the comment from your friend about having 3 boys - AMEN!! LOL
^^ All this! Like! Just as one shouldn't automatically think negatively about a girl in a so-called "lesser house", the same goes for automatically thinking someone is a snob/mean/drama/drunk for being in a "popular house".

Just us sitting here calling it the "big-6" is further carrying on a ridiculous stereotype. End it now! It kinda makes me barf a little in my mouth...
Old 09-19-2011, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
Just us sitting here calling it the "big-6" is further carrying on a ridiculous stereotype. End it now! It kinda makes me barf a little in my mouth...
Hahaha! So funny...and so true! End it now!
Old 09-19-2011, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I was not "picking on Big 6 houses" but bringing forth that for some girls the Big 6 Houses are the only perfect choice just because they are Big 6. I feel confident that sisterhood can be found in the Big 6, but I was bringing attention to all the other houses at UT who the article even failed to mention as if sisterhood at UT was only viable at 1/3 of the houses on campus.

This is a post on a message board about greek life. The Texas Monthly article not only has mass readership, it also had afluent readership and a this article has been a mainstay for tiering UT sororities. This article basically has a cult following. It justifies to many people why they should go to UT recruitment with a very closed mind. It also is why many girls are shocked to find that not all Big 6 houses or any other houses can never achieve perfection. It is not logical, but the article makes them think perfection is behind all that brick and stone and that if they drive a BMW and wear a gold bangle then a bid belongs to them.

srmom.....There is big six right now that is on "social restriction" right now for grades. This restriction keeps them from having mixers and any social activies durning the week so that the girls focus on academics. And as far as slamming goes. It happens. House songs about the "fat" sorority, the "dumb" girls, etc....rude to the point that some pledges feel uncomfortable singing these songs...especially when they target suitemates, roommates and hall mates.

My whole point was never to pit Big 6 against the rest of UT. It was to say that TM, in my opinion, has an obligation to write a new piece on UT greek life that highlights the positive side of all houses and doesn't put 6 houses on a silver platter.

Last edited by Eightisgreat; 09-19-2011 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-19-2011, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was not "picking on someone else's idea of top sororities at UT" but bringing forth that for some girls the chapters that are someone else's idea of top sororities at UT are the only perfect choice just because they are someone else's idea of the top sororities at UT. I feel confident that sisterhood can be found in someone else's idea of top sororities at UT, but I was bringing attention to all the other houses at UT who the article even failed to mention as if sisterhood at UT was only viable at 1/3 of the houses on campus.

This is a post on a message board about greek life. The Texas Monthly article not only has mass readership, it also had afluent readership and a this article has been a mainstay for tiering UT sororities. This article basically has a cult following. It justifies to many people why they should go to UT recruitment with a very closed mind. It also is why many girls are shocked to find that not all the chapters of someone else's idea of top sororities at UT or any other houses can never achieve perfection. It is not logical, but the article makes them think perfection is behind all that brick and stone and that if they drive a BMW and wear a gold bangle then a bid belongs to them.

srmom.....There is one of the chapters that is someone else's idea of a top sorority at UT right now that is on "social restriction" right now for grades. This restriction keeps them from having mixers and any social activies durning the week so that the girls focus on academics. And as far as slamming goes. It happens. House songs about the "fat" sorority, the "dumb" girls, etc....rude to the point that some pledges fell uncomfortable singing these songs...especially when they target suitemates, roommates and hall mates.

My whole point was never to pit someone else's idea of top sororities at UT against the rest of UT. It was to say that TM, in my opinion, has an obligation to write a new piece on UT greek life that highlights the positive side of all houses and doesn't put someone else's idea of top sororities at UT on a silver platter.
Fixed your post for you...
Old 09-19-2011, 03:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Haha...thanks!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
House songs about the "fat" sorority, the "dumb" girls, etc....rude to the point that some pledges feel uncomfortable singing these songs...especially when they target suitemates, roommates and hall mates.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Sad right? A real bind for a sweet girl who wants to do the right thing and stand up to the majority of sisterhood who thinks it is ok.