GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,166
1 members and 2,165 guests
DoubleRose

Old 09-20-2006, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I think we ended up picking Sparkletts because it could be found at any supermarket in the L.A. area
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-20-2006, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
I know what you mean by not getting carried away with no-frills, though. I remember the year I was on panhellenic exec. and we had to actually designate the BRAND of bottled water each chapter should buy for their parties because some groups were concerned the PNMs would judge them on whether they got store-brand or name-brand.
This is exactly why I would have never lasted as a Panhellenic rep!
By the time Rush would start, I would have been bald from pulling my hair out over silly debates like this!
I call it "majoring in the minors!"
Old 09-20-2006, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

It's pretty funny when I look back on it. I loved being on panhellenic, actually, and I preferred being on that side of rush. Disaffiliation was not fun, but on the other hand, the Rho Chis were basically our own little sorority. I also thought it was interesting getting to hear the comments from PNMs on all the sororities and seeing how releases, bid matching, etc. works from the panhellenic perspective.

The one year I was with my chapter during rush, I found it very stressful in comparison. Our rush advisor was from a southern univ. and was used to a totally different type of recruitment. Some of her tricks and tips made us giggle or roll our eyes, BUT I do have to say that our preference room looked like Heaven on Earth, and blew everyone else's away.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
The one year I was with my chapter during rush, I found it very stressful in comparison. Our rush advisor was from a southern univ. and was used to a totally different type of recruitment. Some of her tricks and tips made us giggle or roll our eyes, BUT I do have to say that our preference room looked like Heaven on Earth, and blew everyone else's away.
I've always wonder why aren't rush advisors and advisors in general pairs with schools that have similair systems that they are used to? If you rushed and spent all your time as an active in a large South system, and then as an advisor go up North, or out West, it's a totally differnet type of rush. Same with dorm schools vs. non-dorm schools, schools that everyone has a house vs. no one does, and the like. I have never understood this...

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 09-20-2006, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

B/c advising is a volunteer position and people move.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

some of our consultants are paired with schools that had similar "greek culture." But i think a little diversity can add fresh air to a recruitment style. However, it was interesting talking with our consultant from a larger Washington state school, when I was at an east coast small private school!
Kappa Alpha Theta "The Fraternity was always second in my mind to coeducation. It was organized to help the girls win out in their fight to stay in college on a man's campus. We had to make a place for women in a man's world, and the Fraternity was one means to that bigger end." -Bettie Locke Hamilton
Old 09-20-2006, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Back to my original question-- what does the PNM say to such an invitation if she is asked and does not feel comfortable accepting, knowing it is against the rules and caring that it is against the rules?
Old 09-20-2006, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Back to my original question-- what does the PNM say to such an invitation if she is asked and does not feel comfortable accepting, knowing it is against the rules and caring that it is against the rules?

Weeeeeeell, to avoid offending anyone she could be like "I'd love to! But wait-isn't that against rush rules or something?" and then go from there. Sort of playing dumb (which I NEVER advocate except in this particular type of situation) in order to avoid looking like the Rush Rules Enforcer Marshall or something.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
"Thank you for your kind invitation and for thinking of me. Unfortunately, I am unable to attend. Perhaps we can get together at a later date."
Old 09-20-2006, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
B/c advising is a volunteer position and people move.
True, but I think if at all possible, advisors should be paired up with similar systems that they are used to. We had the problem with my chapter, as a lot of people are unaware how a commuter school with a small greek system with locals that don't participate in FR have to go about doing things differnt from a non-commuter school/school that doesn't have the problem with locals, etc.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 09-20-2006, 07:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
"Thank you for your kind invitation and for thinking of me. Unfortunately, I am unable to attend. Perhaps we can get together at a later date."
It seems a little formal for college aged conversation.... Plus, it sounds like a polite way to say "I'm not interested".
Old 09-20-2006, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Something like "That would be so fun! But isn't it against the rules? I don't want to get you guys in trouble..." That way it looks like she's looking out for them.

Once the sorority members realize that she knows it's against the rules and questioned them about it, I bet they would back off (if they're smart they would).
Old 09-20-2006, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterXO View Post
It seems a little formal for college aged conversation.... Plus, it sounds like a polite way to say "I'm not interested".
True. The tone of the reply should "fit" the tone of the invitation.

The issue is how to be polite and interested, yet decline the invite. All the while avoiding opening up the conversation as to "why" she won't accept the bid. If she says, "That is totally cool. But isn't that against the rules?" might not get her a bid during formal rush. So perhaps something like "Thanks, that sounds like fun. Unfortunately, I can't make it." Or "Wow. That is so something I would love to do. But I can't make it Friday. Maybe sometime later." (Or what ever vernacular the kids are using these days.)
Old 09-20-2006, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Something like "That would be so fun! But isn't it against the rules? I don't want to get you guys in trouble..." That way it looks like she's looking out for them.

Once the sorority members realize that she knows it's against the rules and questioned them about it, I bet they would back off (if they're smart they would).
I agree. This is an excellent way to reply.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltrixx View Post
I know of one chapter in Florida (not at UCF) that builds into their dues to pay for rush infractions for all members to dress alike. This particular chapter also bills their members $700 because they mass order clothes for all active members which included 7 jeans and Lacoste polo shirts. Another chapter I heard of (again not at UCF) made all their members wear Spankz under their clothes which honestly struck me as funny.
ok that is being wayyy too superficial and image concious... not to mention a bit psycho. If i rushed at a house where the girls all dressed exactly the same, and I'd guess LOOKED the same, I think i would have run out screaming.