GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,220
3 members and 2,217 guests
John, Low D Flat, zdaidjunioro429

Old 10-08-2015, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Well, you don't always know beforehand who a sorority will select. See, at several schools, each fraternity chooses its own Queen candidate and so do many clubs (like BLEND), including the sororities. So you could have several members of one sorority being chosen to run due to that and often, a sorority will choose to throw its weight behind one member to increase its chances of winning.

It's even harder when a sorority has more than 1 member in, say, the Top 5. Somebody is going to get hurt. What pisses me off here is that girls were being told who to vote for.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-08-2015, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Northerner here...

We didn't really even "do" Homecoming when I was in school, and at the school I work for, I think there is a Homecoming queen, but it's definitely not something that is a big deal.

What is the big deal of being Homecoming queen? Is this the first step in running for office/marrying into the right family/getting into medical school? I'm not trying to be sarcastic. I just don't understand why this is such a big deal that it has gotten to this point.

And thinking back to when I was 18, wow...I feel for all the girls. It's hard being in that position. I'd like to think I'd do the right thing, but I don't know. Peer pressure is a hard thing to go against at that age. I know I wasn't all that confident and secure in myself.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Heard about this a couple of days ago and was just waiting for this to hit GC. From my perspective, it just seems sad that your sisters would not support you in your efforts AND adding salt to the wound would display someone else's banner on the house.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Yea, for a sorority to display a banner backing another sorority's candidate for queen because of pressure from a shadowy organization that likes to exert control and because fraternity guys hold a "no swaps" threat over the group... I guess the vows of sisterhood just aren't strong enough to go against all of that. Hopefully the young woman in question is strong enough and confident enough to overlook all of that when Homecoming is over. Also hope she wins. That would be sweet. As more and more out of staters enter schools in the south, this may end due to a massive load of "who the hell cares about The Machine?"
Old 10-08-2015, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
Yea, for a sorority to display a banner backing another sorority's candidate for queen because of pressure from a shadowy organization that likes to exert control and because fraternity guys hold a "no swaps" threat over the group...
This....nothing says desperate more than letting the thought of not having certain fraternities ask you to come to a party with cheap beer in their basement justify you turning your back on a sister. I hope she wins and and fails to mention them at all so they get no PR out of this whatsoever. Or tells all who will listen that she won despite the lack of support she received from her chapter.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Sisterhood, indeed.

I can only hope the Alpha Gams at Bama have some small measure of shame. How they look her in the eye at chapter, I have no idea.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I suppose if someone chooses to run despite the fact that their sorority has already selected their top candidate, the individual deciding to run against their group's best wishes is sort of making that an inevitable outcome, right?
Having served on her chapter's EC, she would have known this would be an awkward situation for her chapter when she accepted the backing of another org knowing her own chapter would be supporting the Phi Mu.

Not that frats should be dictating the slate, but she probably also realizes that people are free to vote for whomever they choose, regardless of what banner hangs on the house. Which is apparently how it played for the latest SGA election -- her boyfriend is SGA President (defeated the machine-backed candidate).

Last edited by Hartofsec; 10-08-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

This process is SO archaic!
Why are candidates "nominated" for homecoming? If candidates are supposed to be "very qualified" (damn, this is for a homecoming candidate, not to be CEO of a Fortune 500 company), have them fill out an applicate and interview in front of a panel!
Old 10-08-2015, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCarnation View Post
What is the big deal of being Homecoming queen? Is this the first step in running for office/marrying into the right family/getting into medical school? I'm not trying to be sarcastic. I just don't understand why this is such a big deal that it has gotten to this point.
It's not that big of a deal -- the media escalating HQ into something major seems to be using the situation to criticize the "machine" and use as fodder to spin into racial discrimination. Otherwise, it's not much of a story.

I don't see this as a situation that pertains to her race. However one feels about Greeks block voting or the influence of the machine, it wouldn't have mattered what race she is or what other org put her up for HQ. But this is an easy angle for a sensational story.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
Having served on her chapter's EC, she would have known this would be an awkward situation for her chapter when she accepted the backing of another org knowing her own chapter would be supporting the Phi Mu.
Yes of course, it's her problem and she should have known better than to put her loving and loyal sisters in such a pickle.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I guess the vows of sisterhood just aren't strong enough to go against all of that.
This is not directed to you specifically -- just an observation about the vows/bonds of sisterhood (that bugs me sometimes):

Before we all get all indignant about the sisterhood of it all, let's remember that if she (or any other sister) transferred to another campus, that her "lifelong sisterhood" there -- that she (and they) have vowed to uphold -- could vote not to even affiliate her. And no one would think a thing about it, because that's just how it's done.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Holy crap. Our niece (a Theta) was one of the Homecoming Queen finalists at Bama (didn't win) back in 2012, IIRC. Didn't realize it was so political/brutal. O.o
Old 10-08-2015, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
Holy crap. Our niece (a Theta) was one of the Homecoming Queen finalists at Bama (didn't win) back in 2012, IIRC. Didn't realize it was so political/brutal. O.o
There were four Greeks on the court that year -- three who were put up by NPC sororities and one by the NHPC. Bear Bryant's great granddaughter was queen that year (an Alpha Gam).

http://uanews.ua.edu/2012/10/five-se...ecoming-court/
Old 10-08-2015, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Quote:
Yes of course, it's her problem and she should have known better than to put her loving and loyal sisters in such a pickle.
I don't think that is what was meant. It was more that she knew going into this the entire reality of the situation- she went in with her eyes open, and wasn't surprised when it shook out like this. It's not a matter of "she should have known better," implying that she did something wrong. It is a matter of "she knew what would happen, and moved forward with her candidacy." In my opinion, this implies that she is a strong, confident woman who is willing to make her own choices, in spite of what others may be thinking or planning.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
This is not directed to you specifically -- just an observation about the vows/bonds of sisterhood (that bugs me sometimes):

Before we all get all indignant about the sisterhood of it all, let's remember that if she (or any other sister) transferred to another campus, that her "lifelong sisterhood" there -- that she (and they) have vowed to uphold -- could vote not to even affiliate her. And no one would think a thing about it, because that's just how it's done.
Who are you to make such "observations?"