GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,327
2 members and 2,325 guests
Cookiez17, Xidelt

Old 01-20-2010, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

My problem is, I need someone who is intellectually stimulating to me. Most people who are intellectually stimulating would be bored to tears in those types of jobs. It's not about their actual job, but more about needing someone who has the same intellectual needs that I do and that includes a need to be challenged intellectually on a daily basis.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-20-2010, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
Now you're putting words in my mouth, knight_shadow. I never said that or anything close to it. I said if he's working a minimum wage job and not doing anything to better himself, then I don't want to be with him. That's what I said.
I didn't say that's what you said; I said that's how I interpreted it.

But, again, I now see the point you were making.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I didn't say that's what you said; I said that's how I interpreted it.

But, again, I now see the point you were making.
o.k. fine.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
My problem is, I need someone who is intellectually stimulating to me. Most people who are intellectually stimulating would be bored to tears in those types of jobs. It's not about their actual job, but more about needing someone who has the same intellectual needs that I do and that includes a need to be challenged intellectually on a daily basis.
I'd usually agree, but with the way the economy is, having a "less than" job is usually better than nothing. There are ways to stimulate yourself intellectually outside of the workplace.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I feel like I just read 4 pages of "But that's what I just said!" and "I agree with that."

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 01-20-2010, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

better than a train wreck right?
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 01-20-2010, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know, trainwrecks can be kinda fun....

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 01-20-2010, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh geez.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Cool.

I want to remind women, particularly Black women, that something being "less likely" doesn't translate to it being "unlikely." Not everyone will get married and that includes those men and women who want to get married. And tons of people will settle. But, get over those sob stories and focus on YOU. YOU may have someone out there. If a college education and a certain class standing are AMONG the criteria for your mate, don't minimize your criteria just because you haven't found the person you're looking for YET.
Applause.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
I'd usually agree, but with the way the economy is, having a "less than" job is usually better than nothing. There are ways to stimulate yourself intellectually outside of the workplace.
And there is a difference between someone who is doing what they have to do to make ends meet after the unemployment runs out and someone who is not attempting to do anything different than that fast food job. I'm also looking at this from a different phase in life than many of you are. After retirement from the "real job", that perspective will change again. I could totally see being the greeter at Walmart after I retire, just for the social contact and a little extra cash on top of my meager social security. Or working at a niche type hobby shop related to something I'm interested in. But in the mid 40's, if you're working at McDonald's and that's all you have ever done and all you ever plan to do (aside from management), I don't think we'd have a whole lot in common re: values, goals.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:49 AM
GreekChat Member

What about retirement? 401K? I mean, how can anyone take advantage of their 401K package if they're making pennies to live on?
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 01-21-2010, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey...I think some Mickie Dees and Taco Hells have retirement plans...ehehhe!!!

Sometimes I do feel that certain jobs are by design created to 'encourage' people who want more to move on rather than stay.

It's all up to that individual. For instance, I had a job for 5 years ( they even had a retirement plan!) and even though I liked it, I knew I had to leave because it was not my CAREER as well as a dead end. I also knew I had outgrown the position and could not advance any further nor were they willing to pay the salary that I wanted.

Not to mention for what they were paying me, it indirectly was killing some of my dating prospects as well as hindering my cost of living....HA!

And sometimes I think when we date someone we have to distinguish early on if the person we are with is working at a job or working in their career field. Does our career field make us content with what we are doing and take care of us and so on. Because let's face it, there are also some dead end career fields too

This is all coming back into a giant circle...hehe
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”

Last edited by DaemonSeid; 01-21-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
Regardless of who makes more, BOTH still need to be bringing in a steady income.
I disagree.

If one spouse makes enough money for the family to live comfortably, then there's no reason why the other spouse needs to be bringing in a steady income, if any income at all.

Having a housewife or househusband allows the couple to have the day to day stuff taken care of without intruding on the family's time together. Said housewives and househusbands (hws and hhs) aren't necessarily unambitious, either. For instance, I've seen hws and hhs who are huge assets to their communities because of the volunteer work they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starang21 View Post
i wonder if this and the divorce rate are in any way related?
I don't have any hard stats to cite, but I've heard that the likelihood of divorce is directly proportional to the education level of the woman (assuming the highest education level was attained before the marriage). The higher the education, the less likely the marriage would result in divorce.

Then again, I've Heard and They Say are the biggest liars in town, so take that for what you will.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
I disagree.

If one spouse makes enough money for the family to live comfortably, then there's no reason why the other spouse needs to be bringing in a steady income, if any income at all.
True on that point.

I misspoke.

If a spouse is making just enough to cover the bills then both should be making steady incomes to do more than 'just cover'.

Question: What about in cases when one is making enough (or more than enough) to cover all expenses but the other wants to work for the sake of being busy? Not necessarily volunteer work but in their career field. What are your thoughts on that?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonSeid View Post
Question: What about in cases when one is making enough (or more than enough) to cover all expenses but the other wants to work for the sake of being busy? Not necessarily volunteer work but in their career field. What are your thoughts on that?
I have no problem with that at all. In fact, I think that's an ideal situation.