GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,128
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, baadamashtolzea
» Online Users: 1,237
1 members and 1,236 guests
No Members online

Old 05-21-2002, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Itb?

As a chapter officer as well as the contact on our chapter's webpage, I've gotten many e-mails from advisors, alumnae, members of council, etc. I've noticed whenever they sign their e-mails they don't use ITB as a closing, however when I reply I always use it. Is it appropriate that I use ITB with women that I don't know? I don't really see why it wouldn't be, but at the same time I don't see why they wouldn't use the closing when corresponding with me. Just curious...
Old 05-21-2002, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I correspond with a DG alum, whom I have never met, and she always uses ITB when closing. I also use it when I write to her. I guess it's just a personal preference.
Old 05-22-2002, 01:09 AM

I think it is fine to use "ITB" with other DGs that you haven't met. After all, it is that bond of sisterhood that keeps us together.
I have used it with DGs that I haven't met...both DGs who are in their 20s and DGs in their 50s and 60s!

By the way, here is something important that I found...sometimes, I have seen some DGs sign off "itb" (i.e. lower case), and this is actually incorrect (I think I am guilty of it myself! )

Anyhow, here is the 411 on the right way to write "ITB"...
ITB - Always capitalized; when spelled out, capitalize "I" and "B" only.
Source:
http://www.deltagamma.org/resource/terms.htm#letteri
Old 05-22-2002, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks for the info, cutiepie...i usually just do lowercase because i'm too lazy to hit shift, but i'll keep that in mind.

ps- i tried to make the thread name all caps...i think the message board wouldn't let me
Old 05-22-2002, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Hannah
thanks for the info, cutiepie...i usually just do lowercase because i'm too lazy to hit shift, but i'll keep that in mind.

ps- i tried to make the thread name all caps...i think the message board wouldn't let me
No sweat...don't worry about the "Itb"...hope that you didn't think I was picking on you.

I put the "ITB" up there more for a general service announcement.
I took have been lazy in the past and written "itb", but now that I know that it is "incorrect", I won't anymore!

BTW: "AOPi" is considered incorrect (I got this from the Alpha Omicron Pi website)...the write way to type it out in short form is AOII.
Their website says:
Alpha Omicron Pi also has a shortened form of its name by which it is known: AOII. This is written in the form "AOII" using the Greek symbol "II" and not "Pi." To do otherwise would be grammatically incorrect in mixing styles of letters.
http://www.alphaomicronpi.org/conten...cies/term.html
Old 06-08-2002, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaGammaStar Send a message via Yahoo to DeltaGammaStar
Well now I'm curious....our chapter signs everything LITB, not just ITB. And I do use it with DG's I've never met in person because we are all sisters, aren't we?

And as a side note, in the past two weeks on the Price is Right, I jave seen two separate episodes with DG's making up on stage. Isn't that the coolest!?!
Old 06-09-2002, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DeltaGammaStar
Well now I'm curious....our chapter signs everything LITB, not just ITB. And I do use it with DG's I've never met in person because we are all sisters, aren't we?

And as a side note, in the past two weeks on the Price is Right, I jave seen two separate episodes with DG's making up on stage. Isn't that the coolest!?!
I think it's just a matter with what you are comfortable with. LITB is fine. After all, I have seen Chi O's sign, LICO (Love in Chi Omega), so I don't think adding on an "L" to "ITB" is perfectly fine.

On another note, that is COOL about the Price is Right! Go Delta Gee!
Old 05-21-2003, 01:49 AM
GreekChat Member

One of the DGs that were on Price is Right may have been a girl from my chapter!!!
Old 05-21-2003, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I see alot of other sororities and some fraternities use "ITB or LITB" on GC....

its kinda weird i wonder if it has the same meaning as ours..i hope not cuz "Delta Gamma is the Original"!!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 07:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I read where someone said that they use ItB as a delta gamma and they hope when other sororitys use LITB they hope is doesn't mean the same thing well my friend Beth is also a Delta Gamma at Northern KY university and her serority uses LITB and she is a delta gamma too so im sure it means something similar cause your both DG's but she said its a sorority secret and is unable to tell me what it means like no DG can tell you what it means
Old 08-27-2009, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy5388 View Post
I read where someone said that they use ItB as a delta gamma and they hope when other sororitys use LITB they hope is doesn't mean the same thing well my friend Beth is also a Delta Gamma at Northern KY university and her serority uses LITB and she is a delta gamma too so im sure it means something similar cause your both DG's but she said its a sorority secret and is unable to tell me what it means like no DG can tell you what it means
Whenever I read posts that are written like this one I have flashbacks of having to diagram sentences in 7th grade English class.

<shudders>
Old 08-27-2009, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to minDyG
So funny that this thread was bumped today, because I was thinking about this at work today!

I was actually planning to start a thread but instead I'll just hijack this one. I know the meaning behind LITB or ITB isn't an official ritual secret, more of a chapter tradition that the new members can't find out the meaning until after initiation (at least that was the tradition at our chapter) and aren't supposed to tell non-members the meaning either. However, I can think of at least one location where new members and non-members alike would easily be able to ascertain the meaning of the acronym, which is where I'm basing my assumption that it's not an "official" fraternity secret.

The question I have, then, is this: are there any other "unofficial" secrets or traditions out there? Obviously no mentions of rituals are necessary, but does your chapter have things it keeps secret from the new members until after initiation that are actually more just for fun?
Old 08-28-2009, 07:19 AM
GreekChat Member

A lot of people use the words when signing so it's not a secret! And when corresponding with members of other NPC groups, I always sign it "Fraternally."
Old 08-28-2009, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy5388 View Post
Periods can be your friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
A lot of people use the words when signing so it's not a secret! And when corresponding with members of other NPC groups, I always sign it "Fraternally."
There are threads that touch on LITB/LIOB and a few other closings used by GLOs here and here.

It's interesting to me that you would use "Fraternally" when corresponding with members of other NPC groups, since "Fraternally" is what members of some fraternities (including mine) use when corresponding with each other. Actually, our traditional closing is "Fraternally Yours, in FMA" but just plain "Fraternally" is sometimes used, especially in less formal situations.

I've seen people use "Interfraternally yours" and (for NPC) "Panhellenically yours" when corresponding with members of other groups.

Last edited by MysticCat; 08-28-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Periods can be your friends.
Spoken like a man.

Sorry for the hijack, but I'm a little crabby.