GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,453
0 members and 2,453 guests
No Members online

Old 06-17-2004, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
MC Sorority List - Incomplete?

After perusing GC and gathering as many sorority names as possible from this and other websites, I have compiled a list of organizations. These are ALL SORORITIES who make any sort of claim to multiculturalism. I'm doing some research, so if you know of any other sororities who specifically claim multiculturalism (not necessarily in their legal names!) please reply to let me know the ones I've missed as well as their websites.

*Local, Regional or National status doesn't matter to me - just the word "Multicultural"

Alpha Delta Rho
Beta Phi
Chi Sigma Upsilon
Delta Gamma Pi
Delta Lambda Delta
Delta Sigma Chi
Delta Xi Phi
Delta Zeta Xi
Eta Omega Tau
Iota Psi Phi
Lambda Fe Uson
Lambda Phi Xi
Lambda Psi Delta
Lambda Sigma Gamma
Lambda Tau Omega
Mu Sigma Upsilon
Omega Epsilon Society
Omega Phi Chi
Phi Gamma Theta
Tau Epsilon Nu
Theta Chi Omega
Theta Nu
Theta Nu Xi
Sigma Alpha Zeta
Sigma Chi Delta
Sigma Iota Sigma
Sigma Omega Phi
Sigma Theta Psi
Xi Gamma Lambda
Zeta Chi Phi
Zeta Sigma Chi
Zeta Sigma Phi

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-17-2004, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

check out this link to the Multicultural Greek council at my alma mater, Texas State University. There are some member sororities that aren't on your list.

http://www.studentorgs.txstate.edu/mgc/

Amanda Dyer
Delta Gamma alumna
Old 06-17-2004, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Lambda Gamma is mulitcultural...I know that they are at Western Illinois University, and I believe that they are national too, but I'm not 100% sure
Old 06-17-2004, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

There are some organizations that are founded as LGLOs, but sometimes claim to be multicultural, depending on who you ask or what the situation is.

It is probably hard to pin down who is truly founded as multicultural in some cases.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhirlwindTNX
Soror PJ,

When you say, "sororities who specifically claim multiculturalism (not necessarily in their legal names!)," are you referring to those who promote it? I'm thinking that's where you're going. I could be wrong.

I know what multiculturalism means to us. But, I've always been back and forth on this topic when it comes to other GLOs. Can a GLO be considered multicultural if there is a main focus on one culture, even if multiculturalism is claimed? Or are they considered multicultural just because they contain underrepresented people? (This doesn't include any GLOs with multicultural in the name.)
Old 06-17-2004, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Jeni,

Would you consider an Afro-Latina sorority to be "multicultural?"

If so, Malika Kambe Umfazi. They are mostly African American in membership, but have historically promoted the unity of Black women and Latinas.

I guess that makes them bicultural.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

What I'm really looking for is any Sorority whose official name, purpose, mission statement, goals, tenets and/or mottos actually contain the word multicultural.

Old 06-17-2004, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WhirlwindTNX
Soror PJ,

When you say, "sororities who specifically claim multiculturalism (not necessarily in their legal names!)," are you referring to those who promote it? I'm thinking that's where you're going. I could be wrong.

I know what multiculturalism means to us. But, I've always been back and forth on this topic when it comes to other GLOs. Can a GLO be considered multicultural if there is a main focus on one culture, even if multiculturalism is claimed? Or are they considered multicultural just because they contain underrepresented people? (This doesn't include any GLOs with multicultural in the name.)
LOL! I'm not even going to try to define multicultural sororities. I'm just doing research...teeheehee...you'll understand in a few weeks. *grins mischievously*

Old 06-18-2004, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
Lambda Theta Nu
and as someone else stated: Sigma Lambda Gamma
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mommag2 Send a message via Yahoo to mommag2
Quote:
Originally posted by AOII*Azra-elle
Lambda Theta Nu
and as someone else stated: Sigma Lambda Gamma
Lambda Theta Nu is NOT a Multicultural Sorority. I went on to their website and here's what I found:

The Purpose of Lambda Theta Nu Sorority, shall be to open doors of opportunity to the Latinas of our community. Our primary focus is academic excellence and meeting the needs of Latina women in higher education. Lambda Theta Nu Sorority also promotes the advancement of Latinas through various campus activities and community services, and provides an environment for personal growth within a unit of Sisterhood. Lambda Theta Nu Sorority's priorities, however, will be placed upon academic excellence and community service.

Sigma Lambda Gamma is also a Historically Founded LATINA SORORITY and according to preciousjeni's criteria for a multicutural sorority , LTN and SLG don't fit.

I'm sure I'm going to get flamed for this, but if LTN and SLG are considered Multicultural then that can also be said about LTA, KDX, GAO, STP and all the other historically founded latina sororities.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Ok!!! I'll clarify a little more. By the way, thank you to everyone who posted!

Honest-to-goodness multiculturalism includes Latina based sororities because within the Latin community is a wealth of cultures and subcultures. It would be irresponsible of me to lump all Latin/Latina, Asian or African-based sororities into a mold that we've developed in this country.

HOWEVER, for this research, I'm looking for any sorority whose thrusts or identity is multicultural. My immediate project also calls for the following designations among sororities who consider themselves multicultural:

Multicultural means that the ancestry of the majority of members is not restricted to one continent’s set of cultures and sub-cultures

Diverse means that the ancestry of the majority of members is any set of cultures and sub-cultures from one continent

Let me repeat that these designations are for the purpose of my current project and are in no way indicative of the identities of any organization of which I am not a member (since I wouldn't know ANYWAY if I'm not a member!!)

Therefore, an organization like Malika Kambe Umfazi would be considered multicultural by my definition, but this organization does not specifically promote multiculturalism.

Old 06-18-2004, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I didn't want to "ETA" my previous post because it was too long!

But, I wanted to say that, by the definition provided NPHC organizations would not be multicultural though the majority membership is diverse in that members hail from very different cultures and sub-cultures both here in the United States and in their ancestral continent.

Old 06-18-2004, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Quote:
Originally posted by preciousjeni
What I'm really looking for is any Sorority whose official name, purpose, mission statement, goals, tenets and/or mottos actually contain the word multicultural.
So is this what you are really looking for or are you looking for groups that could be considered multicultural? You have a post down below that seems to contradict this post and it's hella confusing to me.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by damasa
So is this what you are really looking for or are you looking for groups that could be considered multicultural? You have a post down below that seems to contradict this post and it's hella confusing to me.
Oh no! I was trying to explain further, not confuse further! Sorry.

1) What I'm looking for is sororities that CLAIM multiculturalism in their names, mission statements, mottos, etc.
- This is what I need your help with.

2) After I collect a list of sororities, I will THEN apply my definition of multiculturalism/diversity to the sororities I find.
- This is what I'll do on my own.

Old 06-18-2004, 01:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to damasa Send a message via AIM to damasa Send a message via Yahoo to damasa
Quote:
Originally posted by preciousjeni
Oh no! I was trying to explain further, not confuse further! Sorry.

1) What I'm looking for is sororities that CLAIM multiculturalism in their names, mission statements, mottos, etc.
- This is what I need your help with.

2) After I collect a list of sororities, I will THEN apply my definition of multiculturalism/diversity to the sororities I find.
- This is what I'll do on my own.
Word. Sorry duder but the Blainer is kinda flowing down vodka street currently so I was like hella confused.