GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,941
0 members and 2,941 guests
No Members online

Old 05-28-2009, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I don't have any inside information regarding whether we would attempt to recolonize at Syracuse at this point and if I did, I wouldn't be able to share it

That said, personally, with the lease ending to the University, and with it being our Alpha chapter, there are many squirrels around the country who are hopeful! We will all be waiting with bated breath to see how things turn out. The other one that many are hopeful about is our Chi Chapter at Michigan State. It was a painful one to see close, we still own the house and are leasing to (I think) the ADPis. I don't see that campus expanding for a while and Alpha Xi Delta closed right before us at that campus and, as part of the agreement when they closed, have first option to recolonize. We follow them. I think the economy in Michigan is going to severely affect recruitment numbers so I'm not holding my breath. Keeping our other 9 Michigan chapters afloat is going to be a challenge in and of itself. I know a lot of alumnae who would love to see us back at both Penn State and Northwestern, but again, don't see those campuses opening for expansion any time soon. Wishes don't always make it happen though.

I trust our expansion team to do what's best for the Fraternity, taking everything into consideration: campus culture, available alumnae, fraternity resources, etc. as they do with each new opportunity!

**The houses at both Syracuse and Michigan State were designed by our founder, Emily Helen Butterfield, the first female licensed architect in Michigan who is in the Michigan Women's Hall of Fame for her accomplishments in architecture.
We're leasing the Michigan State house to AOII.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-29-2009, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Theta Phi Alpha- New England College (NH, recolonization), Indiana University-South Bend
Sorry if this is obvious, but what chapter is this a recolonization of? Or was there a closed colony before?
Old 05-29-2009, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartUGA View Post
We're leasing the Michigan State house to AOII.
Really....I'll have to look up their website so I can see this famous house!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-29-2009, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Really....I'll have to look up their website so I can see this famous house!
It isn't the original Chi chapter house as there was one before it (not designed by Emily Helen Butterfield). I have pictures in my grandmother's stuff and I plan to retrieve them sometime and scan ALL of it including her MSU yearbooks and what not.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
It isn't the original Chi chapter house as there was one before it (not designed by Emily Helen Butterfield). I have pictures in my grandmother's stuff and I plan to retrieve them sometime and scan ALL of it including her MSU yearbooks and what not.
Please send me pictures when you get them so I can update the blog

Edit:

Are you talking about the house at 139 Bailey Street? I have pictures of that house and it was built in 1910. After we moved into the house at 333 Charles Street, Theta Delta Chi bought 139 Bailey and lived in it until it was...not worth living in and it was demolished.

Last edited by IHeartUGA; 06-03-2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: New information
Old 06-04-2009, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRose1912 View Post
Sorry if this is obvious, but what chapter is this a recolonization of? Or was there a closed colony before?

Don't worry--it's not obvious! This definitely isn't a recolonization of a closed chapter. I don't know about colonies though, I suppose it's possible. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can clear this up!

ETA: This is re Theta Phi's soon-to-be-established colony at New England College in NH.

Last edited by LegallyBrunette; 06-04-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Location
Old 06-04-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegallyBrunette View Post
Don't worry--it's not obvious! This definitely isn't a recolonization of a closed chapter. I don't know about colonies though, I suppose it's possible. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can clear this up!

ETA: This is re Theta Phi's soon-to-be-established colony at New England College in NH.
A pm was sent to me by a Theta Phi poster that the NEC expansion was a recolonization. I have deleted 'recolonization' from the listing until we get further info.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 06-05-2009, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You're right, my mistake.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
You're right, my mistake.
No worries, I didn't know that for sure until a sister for MSU confirmed it as such. I don't think the yearbooks have pictures of the houses, just of the members.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No worries, I didn't know that for sure until a sister for MSU confirmed it as such. I don't think the yearbooks have pictures of the houses, just of the members.
http://alphagamhouses.blogspot.com/2...i-chapter.html

I updated the Chi Chapter post. I searched through Michigan State yearbooks (thanks e-yearbook.com!). It lists this house for Alpha Gam from at least 1926-1949. In 1960, it lists the 333 Charles St. house for Alpha Gam.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:58 PM
GreekChat Member

It was mentioned in Risk Management but I guess I'll restate it here so it can be added to the closed chapters list.

SigEp at California State Polytechnic University-Pomona
http://www.sigep.org/news/release.asp?release=230
Old 06-24-2009, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldu View Post
Sororities at U.C.L.A. all have very nice houses all in one row. Does anyone know if Alpha Chi still owns theirs, and which other inactive NPC groups still own houses. Buiding a new one there would probably be prohibitive.
Kind of a delayed response, but here goes anyway.

To my knowledge (which could be incorrect), several NPC groups still own their houses, while several others sold them to the University circa 2001/2002. At the time, UCLA rented these houses to use as transfer housing. Somewhere in the early 2000's, the University decided that they wanted to purchase the properties to build new housing, giving the organizations an ultimatum: sell the property to UCLA or lose their lease agreements with the University. Some of the properties were thus left vacant a year or two because the HQ refused to sell.

If you drive up Hilgard Avenue right now, there are several LARGE, empty lots where old sorority houses were demolished, and the University is building new housing.

The ones I am sure that are still standing (thus I assume, still owned by their HQ) are:
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Chi Omega

And I think that the Phi Mu house is still around, as well.

I can't remember which properties were demo'd, and Googlemaps hasn't been updated since then.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:33 AM
GreekChat Member

yes AXO still owns the house at UCLA, just needs renovation according to the latest Lyre magazine I received this week. Chapter has been closed since 96.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
Kind of a delayed response, but here goes anyway.

To my knowledge (which could be incorrect), several NPC groups still own their houses, while several others sold them to the University circa 2001/2002. At the time, UCLA rented these houses to use as transfer housing. Somewhere in the early 2000's, the University decided that they wanted to purchase the properties to build new housing, giving the organizations an ultimatum: sell the property to UCLA or lose their lease agreements with the University. Some of the properties were thus left vacant a year or two because the HQ refused to sell.

If you drive up Hilgard Avenue right now, there are several LARGE, empty lots where old sorority houses were demolished, and the University is building new housing.

The ones I am sure that are still standing (thus I assume, still owned by their HQ) are:
Alpha Gamma Delta
Alpha Chi Omega

And I think that the Phi Mu house is still around, as well.

I can't remember which properties were demo'd, and Googlemaps hasn't been updated since then.

The Alpha Gamma Delta house IS still standing and it IS still owned by Alpha Gamma Delta
Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I had posted this earlier but here is an article about Sigma Pi returning to Ole Miss.

http://blog.olemisslife.com/2009/06/...fter-18-years/