GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,216
1 members and 2,215 guests
Xidelt

Old 02-01-2013, 08:30 PM
GreekGent

Tips for Colony Recruitment

This Spring will be my Fraternity's first recruitment efforts as a Colony. We used to be a Chapter on our campus back in the 80's, but obviously we have lost the presence on campus since then.

We currently have 34 Brothers in the Alpha/Founding class including myself, and as such are smaller compared to the other Fraternities at our school. I believe the average size is 60-70 actives, and our educator from National said we should reach this point for membership in order to reach Charter.

Another Fraternity had come onto our campus last year and took almost every single guy that wasn't socially challenged and rushed them, leading to questionable overall quality of the Brothers. I am currently a sophomore at my school, and would like to get Charter by the time I graduate, but I do not want to compromise quality over sheer quantity like they did.

I know Spring pledge classes are normally smaller than in the Fall, and we will be competing against already established and well-reputed Fraternities, but do any of you have some tips or points of advice to help us get high quality guys coming out of the gates?

Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-01-2013, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

You might look at work sorority colonies do. The campus-wide PR and the process in general might hold a few good ideas for you. But you're right. Do NOT sacrifice quality for quantity; it will just hurt you in the long run.

I think the best thing you can do is be out there. Be visible, social, involved, leading, and guys will know who you are when you come calling. And that's ALL your guys. Being a colony/founding member is a lot of work, and here's where that commitment comes into play. It's not all at chapter meetings, but while serving on philanthropy committees, intramural sports, whatever.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:06 AM

Look at the non-Greek guys who play leadership roles on your campus (sports teams, student senate, whatever else is big where you are). Go after them REGARDLESS of class year. If the student body prez who never went Greek before decides he digs you guys and wants to join you, this is a huge coup - bid him even if he's graduating in May.

The point is go outside the dudes who are already swimming in the rush pool. You are lucky that you have a what not to do example in front of you in the other fraternity. Stick to your guns on this. You are 110% right.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

33girl's advice is spot-on. Target the campus leaders who are not affiliated. DubaiSis's PR recommendations are exactly what you need to do. Make it a membership requirement that all brothers and pledges join at least one non-Greek activity. Host weekly brotherhood lunches on campus where you are all in letters. Get your guys involved with student government, too. This will get your name out there, in addition to other promotional efforts.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekGent View Post
This Spring will be my Fraternity's first recruitment efforts as a Colony. We used to be a Chapter on our campus back in the 80's, but obviously we have lost the presence on campus since then.
Oh and if you haven't already, reach out to those alums from the long, long, long ago prehistoric 80s. Your best place to start is Facebook (search under your fraternity name and the name of your school). Even if they aren't "official" through your HQ, you may find some guys who can give you lots of helpful advice.