GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 319,494
Threads: 115,061
Posts: 2,179,670
Welcome to our newest member, WillVirgin
» Online Users: 212
2 members and 210 guests
PGD-GRAD
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-26-2021, 05:22 AM
*winter* *winter* is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northeastern US
Posts: 611
TV character wearing real life sorority merchandise

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports....215917177.html

Not sure how to paste the whole article since Iím on my phone and copy/paste is weird but here is the link.

Just curious, how would you feel if this was your org? Is this a big deal?
__________________
* Kelsey *
"Apart" of isn't the right term...it is " a_part_of"...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-26-2021, 09:27 AM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 17,435
It would bother me, and I would hope that my organization would look into pursuing legal action, especially because it is so easy to create a fictitious sorority/fraternity and not step on anyone's toes. I don't blame the actress, however. This falls on the producers and their legal team.
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-26-2021, 10:17 AM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 6,198
Looks like someone is about to get sued!

Also, I know it's hard to read the tone of social media posts, but it seems like the actress is kind of being a b**** about the whole thing.
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-26-2021, 10:36 AM
naraht naraht is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Rockville,MD,USA
Posts: 3,399
As a data point, Spike Lee's School Daze had a number of different real NPHC GLOs represented including Alpha Phi Alpha and Alpha Kappa Alpha and I don't believe that an effort was made to have members of the respective real GLOs wear those colors. (See the end of the Alpha Phi Alpha step show at https://youtu.be/WfPc8Ia7E20?t=84 for characters in Alpha Kappa Alpha wear.
__________________
Because "undergrads, please abandon your national policies and make something up" will end well --KnightShadow
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-26-2021, 12:55 PM
Cheerio Cheerio is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Where Light Sings
Posts: 3,913
Am I recalling correctly that some NPC groups may have used clout, or paid thru publicists, to have their letters mentioned and/or shown during various 1980s/early 90s films and tv shows? Because those mentions/showings used to happen a lot, and it wasn't all by accident and no one appeared to complain when it occurred.

This included close-ups of composites or close-ups of letters, then cutaways or pullbacks to the characters of the film. Nowadays when those films are on tv you don't always see those parts of the film where the NPC group appeared. The close-up is gone, and the character is shown after the pullback, but you can recall when the greek letters were once featured.

Some of those sightings may even be listed in the GC thread Finding Your Letters Somewhere You Didn't Expect.

Obviously IDK the facts of the current situation regarding the use of actual greekgroup letters, so cannot say whether there is a similar agreement between that group and the show's producers.
__________________
I'm the only man with a Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl ring that doesn't wear it. I'm a Green Bay Packer.
Herb Adderley, co-founder, Sigma Chapter of Omega Psi Phi @ Michigan State University

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-26-2021, 01:15 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 34,350
I think in this instance NPHC members are the ones who should offer their opinions and the rest of us should have a seat.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-26-2021, 01:41 PM
andthen andthen is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: right side of the coast
Posts: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I think in this instance NPHC members are the ones who should offer their opinions and the rest of us should have a seat.

THIS.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-26-2021, 08:08 PM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 17,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I think in this instance NPHC members are the ones who should offer their opinions and the rest of us should have a seat.
Why?
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-26-2021, 08:23 PM
PKT4LIFE PKT4LIFE is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Am I recalling correctly that some NPC groups may have used clout, or paid thru publicists, to have their letters mentioned and/or shown during various 1980s/early 90s films and tv shows? Because those mentions/showings used to happen a lot, and it wasn't all by accident and no one appeared to complain when it occurred.

This included close-ups of composites or close-ups of letters, then cutaways or pullbacks to the characters of the film. Nowadays when those films are on tv you don't always see those parts of the film where the NPC group appeared. The close-up is gone, and the character is shown after the pullback, but you can recall when the greek letters were once featured.

Some of those sightings may even be listed in the GC thread Finding Your Letters Somewhere You Didn't Expect.

Obviously IDK the facts of the current situation regarding the use of actual greekgroup letters, so cannot say whether there is a similar agreement between that group and the show's producers.
If my memory recalls, I think Delta Gamma was seen in the background (on a pennant?) on a couple episodes of Happy Days
__________________
Phi Kappa Tau, Est 1906
"America's Fraternity"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-26-2021, 08:42 PM
Cookiez17 Cookiez17 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: New York
Posts: 428
Tri Delta had a SNL skit to their name (which is a classic to me anyway.) Why didn't they just make up a "fake" greek org to avoid all of this like they did in Legally Blonde and other movies?
__________________
Badoo Badoom Tri Delta!

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-26-2021, 08:52 PM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 6,198
Many Greek orgs have their letters, signs, and insignia trademarked. For the show referenced in the article - which I've never seen - people argue that everyone has known since season one that characters were members of Greek orgs. I would imagine that just saying an organization's name wouldn't cause any trouble. However, once you start plastering the Greek letters, coat of arms, etc. on items or clothing without express permission of the national organization, you've now violated US trademark laws.

Perhaps with the SNL skit, for example, they had permission from Tri Delta? I wouldn't know. But if AKA didn't sign off on this, the actresses' responses seem rather flippant. Although, I can cut her some slack seeing as she's not Greek and perhaps doesn't know the ins and outs of what's acceptable.
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-27-2021, 12:49 AM
*winter* *winter* is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Northeastern US
Posts: 611
I feel like the actress in this situation is taking the brunt of this...we assume everyone else understands Greek letters and Greek traditions and not to use the letters if youíre not a member...but she may not have even realized this when she was handed the outfit that day. If anyone is responsible, itís the people who write the show.

Itís just dumb to do this when it would take five seconds to just make something up, another minute to do a quick internet search to make sure said organization doesnít exist, and just be done with it.
__________________
* Kelsey *
"Apart" of isn't the right term...it is " a_part_of"...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-27-2021, 04:56 PM
Low D Flat Low D Flat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 315
Quote:
Perhaps with the SNL skit, for example, they had permission from Tri Delta?
That's parody. There's a little more legal leeway there.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-27-2021, 08:13 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 34,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
I feel like the actress in this situation is taking the brunt of this...we assume everyone else understands Greek letters and Greek traditions and not to use the letters if youíre not a member...but she may not have even realized this when she was handed the outfit that day. If anyone is responsible, itís the people who write the show.
If she knew enough to jokingly say she was ďme phi meĒ in college and use phrases like ďcross the burning sands,Ē SHE KNOWS she crossed a line.

Re Happy Days, they used pinning songs from DG and ATO as part of a plot with Potsie and his girlfriend. Iím assuming people associated with the show had ties to those two groups. They really never talked about it again or showed anyone in letters or anything. Now when the boys were pledging a fraternity and were hazed and then blackballed, they used a fake name for that fraternity.

Itís one thing to have real Greek letters be part of a background, itís quite another to have them associated with an ongoing story or character.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-27-2021, 09:02 PM
Titchou Titchou is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Posts: 4,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Re Happy Days, they used pinning songs from DG and ATO as part of a plot with Potsie and his girlfriend. Iím assuming people associated with the show had ties to those two groups. They really never talked about it again or showed anyone in letters or anything. Now when the boys were pledging a fraternity and were hazed and then blackballed, they used a fake name for that fraternity.
.
Close, 33. One of the producers was a Beta Theta Pi - so they were mentioned. One of the production staff was a Delta Gamma - hence the references and the anchors.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wearing sorority letters Kiekie895 Greek Life 8 06-22-2014 06:38 PM
Wearing Letters (after resigning from sorority) kitty89 Greek Life 66 11-23-2010 07:36 PM
Children of Greeks wearing GLO merchandise CutiePie2000 Greek Life 40 04-04-2008 02:51 PM
GC vs. Real Life? librasoul22 Chit Chat 55 03-09-2005 11:49 AM
Which My So-Called Life Character Are You? AOX81 Cool Sites 9 07-12-2002 07:29 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.