GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 319,493
Threads: 115,061
Posts: 2,179,670
Welcome to our newest member, blgaudarky3230
» Online Users: 195
1 members and 194 guests
No Members online
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-15-2021, 01:45 PM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 6,198
Duke's chapter of Alpha Delta Pi sorority to close effective immediately

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...closed-abolish

Quote:
One year after the majority of its members voted to disband, Duke’s Omicron chapter of Alpha Delta Pi sorority is closing.

The ADPi Grand Council, which oversees all chapters, voted to withdraw Duke’s charter “effective immediately,” according to a memo to chapter alumni obtained by The Chronicle. The Grand Council initially denied the chapter’s request to dissolve in September 2020.

“As shared with Omicron alumnae last month, the conditions for rebuilding the chapter at Duke have not been favorable for some time, and the supporting volunteers and staff do not see a path forward that will lead to a meaningful membership experience at this time,” the memo reads.
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-15-2021, 02:29 PM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 34,350
This is ducking pathetic.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-15-2021, 04:01 PM
thetalady thetalady is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Big D
Posts: 2,973
Sickening to see those young women destroy a chapter that had been in existence for 110 years. Not the last chapter that we will see this happen to.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-15-2021, 08:52 PM
PKT4LIFE PKT4LIFE is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 617
Here is the Spring 2021 Fraternity/Sorority Scorecard. Both ADPi and ZTA had one (1) member. There's a big difference in membership between the organizations in both the NPC and IFC.

https://studentaffairs.duke.edu/ucae...on-recognition
__________________
Phi Kappa Tau, Est 1906
"America's Fraternity"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-15-2021, 10:29 PM
Cookiez17 Cookiez17 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: New York
Posts: 428
I really hope the HQs provide support to rebuild these chapters so they can remain for years to come.
__________________
Badoo Badoom Tri Delta!

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-15-2021, 10:31 PM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 6,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
Here is the Spring 2021 Fraternity/Sorority Scorecard. Both ADPi and ZTA had one (1) member. There's a big difference in membership between the organizations in both the NPC and IFC.

https://studentaffairs.duke.edu/ucae...on-recognition
They only had one member each because when their chapters tried to vote to close last fall, the national organizations turned them down and decided the charters would remain at Duke. Then most of the members resigned. There's not much that can be done by the national orgs when there are barely any members left.
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-16-2021, 01:06 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 34,350
Considering there are other chapters that have numbers over a hundred, there’s obviously some interest in Greek life still there, so why not recolonize? Is it a situation of not being able to maintain a house?
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-16-2021, 01:15 AM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 6,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Considering there are other chapters that have numbers over a hundred, there’s obviously some interest in Greek life still there, so why not recolonize? Is it a situation of not being able to maintain a house?
I won't pretend to know the ins and outs of recolonizing, but I would imagine that would entail - especially in this situation - closing everything down and restarting years later. The women who resigned are still on campus, and the national org trying to rebuild the chapter now would probably get VERY messy.
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-16-2021, 01:25 AM
33girl 33girl is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Hotel Oceanview
Posts: 34,350
But they weren’t expelled. They resigned. They are non-persons as far as membership in ADPi is concerned. They’ve shown by their actions they want nothing to do with the chapter or Greek life in general so why would anyone who does want to be part of it listen to them?

Neither ZTA nor ADPi had unanimous votes to close. For all the yammering this silly movement does about supporting women, it obviously doesn’t include respecting the wishes of women that are different from your own and letting them go on with their day.
__________________
It is all 33girl's fault. ~DrPhil

Last edited by 33girl; 10-16-2021 at 01:40 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-16-2021, 04:21 AM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 6,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
But they weren’t expelled. They resigned. They are non-persons as far as membership in ADPi is concerned. They’ve shown by their actions they want nothing to do with the chapter or Greek life in general so why would anyone who does want to be part of it listen to them?

Neither ZTA nor ADPi had unanimous votes to close. For all the yammering this silly movement does about supporting women, it obviously doesn’t include respecting the wishes of women that are different from your own and letting them go on with their day.
True, they resigned. But do you think it would be an easy road to reestablish the chapter immediately? I'd argue it'd be an uphill battle, especially due to the abolish-Greek-life movement currently going at Duke. Waiting for things to die down a bit might be the better option. I actually jumped around the @abolishgreeklifeatABCuniversity pages earlier on Instagram, and many were going strong through the end of 2020 but then fizzled out. Most didn't extend into the 2021-2022 school year and had their last posts in the spring. I don't see this movement extending for years, except at maybe a campus or two.

The votes weren't unanimous, but it appears difficult for national orgs to battle against collegians in this situation. They take a vote, the org forces the chapter to remain, but then most members resign, leaving the org with no choice but to close. I believe the ADPi vote was something like 69-16, so clearly most members wanted to throw in the towel. If 80% of the chapter wants to give up and ultimately resigns, what choice is there?

Trust me, I think it's crazy for these members to throw their hands up and say Greek life is evil and doomed, and they shouldn't have the power to shut down a chapter in the way that they are. But what's stopping them? Unfortunately, they're leaving their orgs between a rock and a hard place (especially if there's a house to fill and no members to fill it).
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 10-16-2021 at 04:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-16-2021, 05:21 PM
Low D Flat Low D Flat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 315
Filling a house is not an issue at Duke -- the sororities do not have houses.

I don't know whether the numbers are primarily about Covid or the disaffiliate movement or a combination, but I'm surprised to see some of the traditional SRC NPC chapters with total membership in the 50s.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-16-2021, 05:29 PM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 6,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low D Flat View Post
Filling a house is not an issue at Duke -- the sororities do not have houses.

I don't know whether the numbers are primarily about Covid or the disaffiliate movement or a combination, but I'm surprised to see some of the traditional SRC NPC chapters with total membership in the 50s.
My comment about houses was more in a general sense, but that's a plus for the Duke NPCs with these recent occurrences and complications.

And as a reminder, this also happened, which may be affecting numbers and interest: https://www.campusreform.org/article?id=17137
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-20-2021, 07:51 PM
navane navane is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
The votes weren't unanimous, but it appears difficult for national orgs to battle against collegians in this situation. They take a vote, the org forces the chapter to remain, but then most members resign, leaving the org with no choice but to close. I believe the ADPi vote was something like 69-16, so clearly most members wanted to throw in the towel. If 80% of the chapter wants to give up and ultimately resigns, what choice is there?

Trust me, I think it's crazy for these members to throw their hands up and say Greek life is evil and doomed, and they shouldn't have the power to shut down a chapter in the way that they are. But what's stopping them? Unfortunately, they're leaving their orgs between a rock and a hard place (especially if there's a house to fill and no members to fill it).
I understand what you're trying to say here and, you're not wrong; however, I see it differently. There's a difference between an HQ acquiescing to the collegians' demand that the GLO shut down their chapter and an HQ refusing to close the charter out of principle knowing that the chapter will be difficult to keep open regardless. Both will likely result in the lost of the chapter for the GLO, but the latter was done on the GLOs terms and not the collegians. The collegians get indirect credit; but, technically, they didn't get what they asked for to start with.
__________________
GFB Z
Gamma Phi Beta

True and Constant
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-21-2021, 01:28 AM
honeychile's Avatar
honeychile honeychile is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Counting my blessings!
Posts: 28,557
I didn't really want to comment on the loss of Omicron chapter.

I will say that, at least for Alpha Delta Pi, recolonization would most likely only happen after 3-4 years pass. It gives those who resigned a chance to leave the campus.
__________________
~ *~"ADPi until I die!"~*~
Proud to be a Macon Magnolia
"He who is not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-21-2021, 11:01 PM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 6,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
I understand what you're trying to say here and, you're not wrong; however, I see it differently. There's a difference between an HQ acquiescing to the collegians' demand that the GLO shut down their chapter and an HQ refusing to close the charter out of principle knowing that the chapter will be difficult to keep open regardless. Both will likely result in the lost of the chapter for the GLO, but the latter was done on the GLOs terms and not the collegians. The collegians get indirect credit; but, technically, they didn't get what they asked for to start with.
There's a difference from our perspective - as seasoned members of our orgs - but do you think that's how most people view it, including the young collegians who participated in the vote? I doubt it. And ultimately, what difference does it make if the result is the same?

All it takes is one situation like this for other chapters to catch on, whether they're ADPi chapters or otherwise. Either way, I'm sure we all hope there won't be a trend and that this is a one-off.
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duke: Controversial Party Invitation (Sigma Nu and Alpha Delta Phi) exlurker Risk Management - Hazing & etc. 14 11-08-2010 11:07 PM
Duke's Alpha Omicron Pi chapter to close Jill1228 Greek Life 76 11-17-2008 12:20 AM
Sorority Chapter at U. of Utah May Close April 30 exlurker Greek Life 52 12-03-2007 09:41 AM
Tri Delta Will Close Princeton Chapter exlurker Greek Life 30 02-12-2005 12:48 AM
BET FIRES TAVIS SMILEY EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY!!! CulturedPearl Alpha Kappa Alpha 31 03-28-2001 09:58 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.