GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 930
2 members and 928 guests
g41965, Sarak24034

Old 09-27-2004, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AWJDZ
National Board Certification

Hey...just wondering if anyone has pursued their National Board Certification or if they are in the process of doing so. I recieved my "box" the other day...now I just need to get motivated!
Old 09-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

My mother did it in French. Her school now has her teaching 4 spanish and 1 french classes

The money is good though.

It's a HUGE amount of work. The best advice I think I could give you is become friends with someone who has passed.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-25-2013, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Holy Crap I can't believe I'm bumping a thread last read in 2004!

I can't believe it but I've decided to go for it and get my National Board Certification. I'm at a 3 day workshop to prepare for it.

No more box though! Everything is done online now and *supposedly* the $2500 price will drop this year. I hope.

My goal is to complete the process in 1 year. I really don't want to drag it out for 2 or 3 years. Nooooo!
Old 06-25-2013, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
No more box though! Everything is done online now and *supposedly* the $2500 price will drop this year. I hope.

My goal is to complete the process in 1 year. I really don't want to drag it out for 2 or 3 years. Nooooo!
I know someone who got it the 2nd year and someone else who got it the 3rd year. But, supposedly, if you are denied you only have to re-do the sections that you did poorly in.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

A sorority sister of mine did hers about 15(or so) years ago and she did it in a year. Needless to say we did not see her at any alumnae events that entire year. She had a mentor appointed by the county school board who was a teacher who had recently achieved her NBC. I believe the county paid for the test and the mentor if the candidate would agree to be a mentor after she received her NBC. Good luck to you!
Old 06-25-2013, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

The whole thing is worth 400 points. You need 275 to pass. If you fail any section, you only need to retake that area for the points you need to pass.

We don't get appointed mentor teachers but if you attend one of the workshops I'm at right now, you meet other already NBCT's that have passed and you network with them and get one of them to be your mentor. You specifically look for one in your area of certification. I'm planning on getting certified in Literacy - 3-12 years English Language Arts.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I've heard that the NBCT isn't really all it's cracked up to be. For my current district, I don't think we even get any additional pay for doing it.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 07-19-2013, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

It's bigger in some states than in others. My friend in North Carolina got hers and got a pay raise. In my state, we do not get any sort of raise or other perk. Very few people in my area have it or attempt it because of this.