GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,967
4 members and 1,963 guests
bbobbyusady4719, naraht, PGD-GRAD

Old 01-26-2006, 10:00 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm so glad you're daughter is sticking with it!! Getting heavily cut after the first round can be devastating, but you only need one chapter to find a home not eight. Tell your daughter to stick with it and keep an open mind. Good luck to her!
Old 01-26-2006, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your daughter. I hope she continues and doesn't lose faith.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Latest Update

Day 2 is over for my daughter, since she only had two parties to go to. She really loves one and is still not sure about the other, I just hope both keep her around for the rest of the rounds. It is interesting that she has recs to both of these- maybe they helped- you never know. Most of the people she talked to today had also been cut heavily- several had GPA's lower than 3.0. The Panhellenic Council requires a 2.75, so these girls all thought that they were eligible for rush, I think if the individual sororities are going to cut for grades at a different standard that PNMs should be aware of this going in. It seems that a lot of grade cuts were made, but no explanation was given and so many girls this age have fragile self-esteem and are feeling badly about themselves.
Do not know why Rushee #2 was cut so heavily. Her roommate was invited back to all, but dropped out because #2 was not invited back to the same ones.
Old 01-26-2006, 05:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Some individual sororities have there own GPA requirements. While colleges may have a minimum to just register with.

As for Rushee#2, you did mention that she had had a lot of pics on facebook of her being drunk. That may have not been a good idea to post if their school is competitive.

Hopefully your daughter will stick with it and find a home!
Old 01-26-2006, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with the facebook comment- you never know who is watching!
Old 01-26-2006, 05:27 PM

Re: Latest Update

Quote:
Originally posted by washrinserepeat
Day 2 is over for my daughter, since she only had two parties to go to. She really loves one and is still not sure about the other, I just hope both keep her around for the rest of the rounds. It is interesting that she has recs to both of these- maybe they helped- you never know. Most of the people she talked to today had also been cut heavily- several had GPA's lower than 3.0. The Panhellenic Council requires a 2.75, so these girls all thought that they were eligible for rush, I think if the individual sororities are going to cut for grades at a different standard that PNMs should be aware of this going in. It seems that a lot of grade cuts were made, but no explanation was given and so many girls this age have fragile self-esteem and are feeling badly about themselves.
Do not know why Rushee #2 was cut so heavily. Her roommate was invited back to all, but dropped out because #2 was not invited back to the same ones.
I am sorry that recruitment isn't going as well as they had hoped, but I thought I'd mention that no one has can know if low grades were why they were cut heavily. Membership selection is completely confidential and is left entirely up to very young women.

Good luck to your daughter in the remaining rounds.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
Originally posted by MaggieXi
Some individual sororities have there own GPA requirements. While colleges may have a minimum to just register with.
I know that's true at Indiana. When I rushed, the minimum GPA to go through formal rush was 2.5 (it's been raised since) but almost all the houses had a higher minimum GPA requirement.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

i agree with you washrinserepeat, it would be so helpful to pnms if panhellenic grade point requirements and individual sorority gpa requirements were more in line. i think that it would be more fair, and there would be a lot less shocked and disillusioned pnms. i really hope that things work our for your daughter.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Duchovnysfan Send a message via Skype™ to Duchovnysfan
I just got a chance to read the entire thread, and recruitment stories are always great to read especially now having gone through recruitment Anyway, I hope your daughter makes it through, it's hard to get cut heavily in the initial but it takes a lot bounce back and go to the parties so major brownie points for her. It must be pins and needles on your end, but I hope everyone gets that happy ending
Old 01-26-2006, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I would just like to reiterate that my daughter is very happy with the two sororitiies that have kept her. I hope for a good result- she will be happy with whoever she goes with- she is very excited with the whole process. I think she was hoping for a few more parties to go to, just because she loves the process, but she is not disappointed in the least with her two choices.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Good for her! We are all rooting for her.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
I'm glad your daughter is happy. As for her best friend, there could be a lot of reasons, but I'm glad that your daughter didn't drop out after she was cut.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 01-27-2006, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter was cut by one of the two sororities today. It was the one she wasn't as sure about, leaving one that she truly loves. She went to their party and said it was awesome! Made a lot of connections with the people and was very moved by speeches made by some of the seniors. They also showed a very professional video which made her want them even more. She is hoping and praying that she will get invited to the pref party tomorrow and of course get a bid after that. She has made a lot of friends this week and when they get together to eat she says it is so interesting to hear why some girls like one organization and not others and vice versa. She also said she is glad she only had one party to go to because that made it more special.
So stressful for me, can't imagine how it must be for these girls!
Old 01-27-2006, 03:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats and good luck to your daughter!!!
Old 01-27-2006, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

We are all rooting for her! I know with a mom like you, she has been raised right and would be a great addition to any house!!!