GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,192
1 members and 1,191 guests
No Members online

Old 09-22-2017, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
Let's be honest. That's usually code for "I think these girls are beneath me."
Or "above" me.

It most likely means "we didn't connect".
Old 09-22-2017, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktx View Post
Keep us posted on how it goes. I think it should be held before school starts. Managing school with long nights and extra rush stress is too brutal. Maybe it is time for a petition.
My crew that went through OleMiss recruitment last year were all OOS. I think it helped them that is was after school started- they had a few weeks to get used to school and being in the south (they were from NJ, IN, and California respectively). they also went into recruitment much more prepared as they had a better feel as to what was appropriate dress in the south.

I've been getting updates from one of them about recruitment on the other side.

side note- variable quota reminds me so much of "bed rush" at IU (the way invite rates are calculated, the smaller new member classes for the more "popular chapters, etc). and yet IU recruitment was always evil...

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 09-22-2017, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
side note- variable quota reminds me so much of "bed rush" at IU (the way invite rates are calculated, the smaller new member classes for the more "popular chapters, etc). and yet IU recruitment was always evil...
I think rush at Ole Miss is different than IU's bed rush in 1 critical respect. At Ole Miss, the PNMs are still guaranteed a bid IF they mazimize their options & list both chapters from Pref on their MRABA. I don't believe that IU does this yet, do they? Please forgive me if this has changed at IU & I have not kept up!
Old 09-22-2017, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

To the above point, I agree. I think later rush does help the freshman get settled, as well as get to know a few girls. The downsides are more compelling for an earlier rush in my opinion. When recruitment is held during the school week, school work and sleep suffer for both pnms and actives.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My crew that went through OleMiss recruitment last year were all OOS. I think it helped them that is was after school started- they had a few weeks to get used to school and being in the south (they were from NJ, IN, and California respectively). they also went into recruitment much more prepared as they had a better feel as to what was appropriate dress in the south.
Agree. I helped a girl last year from out West who was totally unfamiliar with anything sorority. She was stunned by the "designer dorm rooms" that are the norm for Southern girls. She was quiet by nature so the six weeks pre-rush really helped her a lot. Pledged a house she loved. Not sure how well she would have done otherwise.

That said, I can't imagine doing this during school from either side. One thing I loved about rush - being the week before classes - was how relaxed and fun it was. I think it would be harder to be relaxed with classes going on.

Last edited by NYCMS; 09-22-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter's school has deferred recruitment for fraternities and sororities, which was held during the first week of classes in January her first two years. For a campus that's 75% Greek, that was a killer.

Her junior year, they moved it to the week before school starts in January. Yes, everyone had to come back a few days early from break, but it was much less stressful. It seems to be working, because this will be year four of the new schedule.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post

That said, I can't imagine doing this during school from either side. One thing I loved about rush - being the week before classes - was how relaxed and fun it was. I think it would be harder to be relaxed with classes going on.
Back in the old days... We had one rush that lasted the better part of three weeks, most of that after school started. We came back for work week before classes. Michigan State was on quarters so we didn't start school until later (early September?). Between home football games, the Jewish holidays, and I don't remember what else, it was like it was never going to end.

If you think tent talk is bad when you get rush done in a week before classes start, imagine what it's like when rush goes on for a couple of weeks during classes.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 09-22-2017, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

The BIG BID DAY is almost here!! http://hottytoddy.com/2017/09/22/new...bid-day-rules/
Old 09-22-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
It blows me away when people say "I just do not connect with these girls."
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
Let's be honest. That's usually code for "I think these girls are beneath me."
As long as we're being honest - it is also often code for "this is the Jewish sorority and I'm not Jewish". (Of course, neither AEPhi nor SDT has an active chapter at Ole Miss ... I'm speaking in general.)
Old 09-23-2017, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Well I think the "smaller is better than larger" mainly came in at IU when some groups were compelling their chapters there to take classes above what could fit in the house, and when unhoused sororities appeared that could take larger classes as the house wasn't a factor. Prior to that EVERYONE's pledge class was too small compared to the number of women rushing. As said many times I think part of that is also a North vs. South preference.

VQ is just RFM taken to the next level. If it gets rushees to think more realistically about their chances, I'm all for it.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
I'm excited, headed to Oxford in a few hours!!
Old 09-24-2017, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter's little told me yesterday that Theta had the most girls ever at Pref and this was because most ALL girls are maximizing their options and this only helps Theta and they have had a great rush so far. This makes me so happy to hear. Ole Miss rush is so tough and it makes me happy to know that the girls are much more open to the process this year and seeing it thru till the end. I wish everyone a fabulous and very happy BID day!!!

P.S.My daughter is studying abroad in Switzerland and can't be there today but certainly has been following all the happenings of the past week and is excited to welcome home all the new little kites!!!
Old 09-24-2017, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Have seen some pictures on FB already! Any results?
Old 09-24-2017, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug12 View Post
Have seen some pictures on FB already! Any results?
No but I am dying to know what they are. I was able to see some live shots from Theta on Instagram and it appears they have a large pledge class I am guessing well over 100+ but this is just a guess. Everyone seemed very happy and joyful.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Ive seen a few pics and glad to see that Panhellenic put restrictions on the outdoor decorations and such. Maybe I'm old school, but it seemed that things had gotten over the top. They also dialed back how many family members and alums could be in the actual area for crowd control and security.

I saw that Kelly Bensimon's daughter Sea pledged Kappa. Haven't heard what the pledge class sizes are for the various houses.

Last edited by NYCMS; 09-24-2017 at 05:46 PM.