GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,383
0 members and 1,383 guests
No Members online

Old 08-20-2008, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well actually, I Googled and found a picture of the killer with the bid list in his hand.
Thanks for the Diet Coke all over my monitor.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-20-2008, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I think some people take themselves a bit too seriously - I truly can't see any harm to publishing the lists, and obviously Auburn and Alabama don't either. I personally think UGA just lacks the organization to publish the lists and do some of the other publication of statistics that make Greek life more user friendly at other campuses - guess since I am a UGA alum I feel comfortable makiing the comparison...
Old 08-20-2008, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippiechick View Post

In my little corner of the South, you don't go onto the society page unless you have an engagement, marriage, birth, or death. If you do get in the society pages for something else, people know you're a pretentious bitch.

Need a Snark Warning on your posts, so in the future I don't dump my salad is all over the floor
Old 08-20-2008, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Well actually, I Googled and found a picture of the killer with the bid list in his hand.

Honestly, if they are taking precautions because of what southernbell196 mentioned and you're still irked because YOU don't have access to the bid list, you need to rethink your priorities.

OK, ladies (and I use that term loosely), can we drop this part of the discussion? As a Delta Gamma close to this case, I, for one, would appreciate it and would look on it as being in the spirit of Panhellenic to do so.

Thank you.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alum View Post
http://chronicle.com/weekly/v54/i46/46a02301.htm

http://www.whyboysfail.com/wordpress...esmadison1.doc
Thanks! That's exactly the one I was reading.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadden View Post
I think some people take themselves a bit too seriously - I truly can't see any harm to publishing the lists, and obviously Auburn and Alabama don't either. I personally think UGA just lacks the organization to publish the lists and do some of the other publication of statistics that make Greek life more user friendly at other campuses - guess since I am a UGA alum I feel comfortable makiing the comparison...

Yep.

And if it weren't the usual snarky bosses making the pro-privacy argument, it'd be easier to take as well. Surely people realize that you can justify almost anything in the name of safety, right?

(Not that I really NEED the bid list, but at the point that as a matter of policy you are limiting the information to well wishers imagining that it's a meaningful protection from psychopaths, things may be a little screwed up.)

That and I suspect that they sign waivers anyway.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
Yep.

And if it weren't the usual snarky bosses making the pro-privacy argument, it'd be easier to take as well. Surely people realize that you can justify almost anything in the name of safety, right?

(Not that I really NEED the bid list, but at the point that as a matter of policy you are limiting the information to well wishers imagining that it's a meaningful protection from psychopaths, things may be a little screwed up.)

That and I suspect that they sign waivers anyway.
My concern isn't safety. Some/a lot of people just don't like people snooping into their own business.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

And a lot of people don't see the need to be such a nosy busybody.

As someone said about, if you're not close enough to the girl to have received a phone call or email, then it's none of your damn business.

I thought the proper thing is that a lady is only in the news three times in her life- when she's born, wed and dead? Sorry for butchering the saying!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
And a lot of people don't see the need to be such a nosy busybody.

As someone said about, if you're not close enough to the girl to have received a phone call or email, then it's none of your damn business.

I thought the proper thing is that a lady is only in the news three times in her life- when she's born, wed and dead? Sorry for butchering the saying!
I don't know. If you are writing recs for people, it doesn't seem like too much to know where they ended up, and sometimes the girls don't think to notify rec writers (or are afraid that rec writers are going to have their feelings hurt, which seems funny to me). The lists just make is easy.

Some chapters do notify, but sometimes it takes a while or it's incomplete.

I'm not outraged the list isn't up, but it seems like it makes things really easy on the chapters and alums to post it.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
My concern isn't safety. Some/a lot of people just don't like people snooping into their own business.
It's snooping into other people's business to want to know who pledged your chapter? Really?
Old 08-20-2008, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

::awkwardly climbs out of hole to discuss something other than lists being posted or not::

So, no DGs in my rec crew this year (unless one of my two Ole Miss girls becomes a DG)... I guess I was spoiled last year by having one at UGA and one at Auburn!

My UGA girls went:
ALPHA CHI OMEGA
DELTA DELTA DELTA
PI BETA PHI
SIGMA DELTA TAU
SIGMA KAPPA

I've also heard from other students from my school who pledged Delta Zeta, Kappa Delta (2), Alpha Gamma Delta (2), and Gamma Phi Beta! I'm sure we have several more who pledged at UGA but I don't feel like seeking them out to find out where... if they want to tell me, they will. I am glad to see these alumnae going so many different places this year!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It's snooping into other people's business to want to know who pledged your chapter? Really?
That's what chapter alumnae newsletters or e-newsletters are for. Or you could just email the VP recruitment if you care that much. Besides, names and hometowns, though they may mean something to you on the surface, doesn't really tell you anything about the girls that pledged your chapter. If you KNEW the girls, that would be a different story, but then, again, if you knew them they'd probably give you a call or send a note.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgdramadawg View Post
::awkwardly climbs out of hole to discuss something other than lists being posted or not::

So, no DGs in my rec crew this year (unless one of my two Ole Miss girls becomes a DG)... I guess I was spoiled last year by having one at UGA and one at Auburn!

My UGA girls went:
ALPHA CHI OMEGA
DELTA DELTA DELTA
PI BETA PHI
SIGMA DELTA TAU
SIGMA KAPPA

I've also heard from other students from my school who pledged Delta Zeta, Kappa Delta (2), Alpha Gamma Delta (2), and Gamma Phi Beta! I am glad to see these alumnae going so many different places this year!
Yea for your girls!
Old 08-20-2008, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
That's what chapter alumnae newsletters or e-newsletters are for. Or you could just email the VP recruitment if you care that much. Besides, names and hometowns, though they may mean something to you on the surface, doesn't really tell you anything about the girls that pledged your chapter. If you KNEW the girls, that would be a different story, but then, again, if you knew them they'd probably give you a call or send a note.
True, as long as you don't mind waiting.

I agree about name and hometown not telling you much if you don't already know the girls, but sometimes especially when you know a bunch of girls rushing, you are looking to see if specific people ended up at your chapter. Or looking to see where specific girls you know ended up.

Maybe I write recs for girls that I don't know as well as you know the girls you write recs for, but I'm not expecting everyone to write me an email or call me on bid day. There are levels to how well you know people but you still know them well enough to be happy and curious where they ended up.

And this too might be odd, but I'd feel strange about emailing the VP because I feel like she's probably got a lot going on.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Well the list may not be on the website, but to my amazement several chapters already have lists and pictures posted on their home page. These chapters are really on the ball this year. And, I don't think it is nosy to be interested in finding out where girls ended up - my daughter had several friends going through and in all the festivities at her house she didn't even know where they ended up pledging.