GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,350
2 members and 2,348 guests
Kevin, PGD-GRAD

Old 11-15-2007, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aopirose View Post
Clayton State was open a few years ago but I don't think that that one went forward. I am glad to see that they are trying again.

As for presentations, packets for most of those schools are not due until December or January. Groups probably won't be selected until after the New Year.
Yep. Packets are due for us December 20, and selection will happen in the spring.

So many of those on the list are in Georgia! I wasn't even aware the Clayton State had Greek Life.

A Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech - Class of 2007
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-15-2007, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAmanda View Post
Yep. Packets are due for us December 20, and selection will happen in the spring.
I really hope y'all get the group that you want!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAmanda View Post
So many of those on the list are in Georgia! I wasn't even aware the Clayton State had Greek Life.
Right now Clayton State only has NPHC groups. They opened for NPC expansion a few years ago but like I said, it didn't take. Hopefully, it will work out this time. It's challenging to be the "first" if everything doesn't all come together.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:57 PM

Warning: Elephant in the room.

Does Mississippi State have some of the same problems that Ole Miss has regarding sororities? I'm talking about pnms only wanting the ones that have historically been on campus for a while?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 11-15-2007, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to squirrely girl
well yay for extension plans - good luck to everybody submitting packets!

- m
A GD
Old 11-15-2007, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Warning: Elephant in the room.

Does Mississippi State have some of the same problems that Ole Miss has regarding sororities? I'm talking about pnms only wanting the ones that have historically been on campus for a while?
In my opinion, I think the system at State is a different "animal" than the one at Ole Miss. Mississippi State (the school itself) doesn't have the long heritage that Ole Miss has.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

What happened at State--there were only 2 sororities for years because there weren't that many women. I think they opened in the thirties. Anyway, by the time I got there in 1976, there was one chapter that was prized above all and girls would drop out of rush or get hysterical if they were cut by this group. The system has now evolved to one in which there are many 'acceptable' chapters, although 3 of the groups that were there in 76 have folded.However, they need more than the 6 groups that are there at this time.

AOII was selected to come to campus a couple of years ago but they backed out.

I'm glad to see so many GA schools! My son-in-law's sister was president of the Zeta chapter at Augusta State a few years ago.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post

Lynn University, Boca Raton, FL
I keep checking their website to buy a Tshirt or something but there's never a link.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Phi Kappa Theta initiated as UNL's first Catholic frat
Rachel Albin
Issue date: 11/16/07 Section: News
Daily Nebraskan

Jesus and his 12 apostles probably understood the benefits of brotherhood, and so do the men of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's newest fraternity, Phi Kappa Theta.

The chapter, which was officially approved and installed last month by the Phi Kappa Theta International Fraternity, is the only all-Catholic fraternity on campus.

Father Robert Matya, pastor at the St. Thomas Aquinas Newman Center and board president and chaplain of the fraternity, began the effort to create a Catholic fraternity nearly three years ago.

"There was an interest among some young men who wanted to be around other young men to help each other provide some accountability in their lives," he said.

Phi Kappa Theta is a national fraternity [NIC member] that originally was exclusively Catholic, but not all of its chapters have retained that identity as the UNL chapter is doing, Matya said.

more
Old 11-16-2007, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
What happened at State--there were only 2 sororities for years because there weren't that many women. I think they opened in the thirties. Anyway, by the time I got there in 1976, there was one chapter that was prized above all and girls would drop out of rush or get hysterical if they were cut by this group. The system has now evolved to one in which there are many 'acceptable' chapters, although 3 of the groups that were there in 76 have folded.However, they need more than the 6 groups that are there at this time.

AOII was selected to come to campus a couple of years ago but they backed out.

I'm glad to see so many GA schools! My son-in-law's sister was president of the Zeta chapter at Augusta State a few years ago.
My fiance is a Mississippi State grad. He said that another sorority would probably do well since enrollment has started to increase down in Starkville. There is a house still available (the old Alpha Gamma Delta house--Theta Theta chapter I believe). It would need some renovations but it's a nice house overall. I think most of the chapters there are at total except for maybe one. Their system is very different like Carnation said. However, I do think all of the chapters down there are very good. Here is a pic of the AGD house down at State. I think there is another old sorority house (ADPi) and maybe a fraternity owns that one now.

Here is a list of sororities who are either currently at MSU or have had chapters at MSU:

Chi Omega, Phi Delta Chapter 1936-present
Zeta Tau Alpha, Gamma Zeta Chapter 1940-present
Phi Mu, Kappa Alpha Chapter 1962-present
Alpha Delta Pi, Epsilon Eta Chapter 1966-no longer active
Delta Gamma, Delta Lambda Chapter 1969-present
Kappa Delta, Delta Omega Chapter 1971-present
Delta Delta Delta, Beta Mu Chapter 1972-present
Alpha Chi Omega, Epsilon Upsilon Chapter 1974-no longer active
Kappa Kappa Gamma, Epsilon Tau Chapter 1977-no longer active
Alpha Gamma Delta, Theta Theta Chapter 1989-closed in 2002 I believe.

To my knowledge those are the only groups who have ever had chapters at Mississippi State. I think Kappa would do well there since they have such a strong chapter at Ole Miss. I even think Theta or Pi Phi would do well since they have strong chapters at Southern Miss and Ole Miss. I think with State's new President and just the growth of the University and the city, a new chapter would do very well there right now.

Last edited by OleMissGlitter; 11-25-2007 at 12:39 PM. Reason: ETA: Found out when AGD was founded at MSU
Old 11-19-2007, 08:09 PM
GreekChat Member

My friend (she now lives in the Atlanta area) was in the group that colonized Kappa at Mississippi State. I know she'd love to see that happen if it opened up for expansion/recolonization. I don't think they were ever able to build a house.

She was the oldest of three sisters, but by the time they went to MSU, Kappa was gone so they were Phi Mus.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Zeta Beta Tau has initiated new colonies at the the California State University - San Marcos and the University of Hartford and revived the Omega chapter at the University of Missouri-Columbia which was active from 1917 until the early 90's.

It's great to be a Zeeb!
Old 11-20-2007, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
I think Kappa would do well there since they have such a strong chapter at Ole Miss. I even think Theta or Pi Phi would do well since they have strong chapters at Southern Miss and Ole Miss. I think with State's new President and just the growth of the University and the city, a new chapter would do very well there right now.
I do miss the Kappas there! They had just colonized when I was asst Panhel advisor at State. I still have some blue Christmas ornaments they gave me.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techzbt View Post
Zeta Beta Tau has initiated new colonies at the the California State University - San Marcos and the University of Hartford and revived the Omega chapter at the University of Missouri-Columbia which was active from 1917 until the early 90's.

It's great to be a Zeeb!

You forgot to add CSU-Long Beach, McGill University and George Washington University which are new colonies as well that started in Sept./Oct. Also, 3 interest groups that recently formed at New York University, Arizona State and Univ. of Cincinnati.

ZBT:"Inspring today's college men to become leaders of tomorrow."
Old 11-20-2007, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

TKE has gotten an okay to reestablish at PSU-Ks.

LX Z # 1
Alumni