GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,560
0 members and 2,560 guests
No Members online

Old 04-23-2008, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
I was pink slipped today.
(hugs) That stinks. Were you RIFed or are you officially out of a job for the next school year?

They're cutting a position at my school, but there's someone that was hired after me so I'm somewhat "safe". I'm feeling bratty because I might have to change grade levels and I don't want to. It would be two grade levels younger so I wouldn't really be able to "adapt" my things from this year. I know I should feel grateful that I probably will be staying in my school next year, but I was really hoping to be in the same grade level so I could use some of the things I did this year again!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-23-2008, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I was RIFed. I won't officially know until May 15th if it will be retracted or not.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
I was RIFed. I won't officially know until May 15th if it will be retracted or not.
I understand your frustration. I am in between districts right now and although I know I will most likely get several job offers over the summer, it is still very frustrating.

Hang in there and keep us updated!

ΚΔΠ Education Honor Society
Old 05-11-2008, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Educatingblue View Post
I understand your frustration. I am in between districts right now and although I know I will most likely get several job offers over the summer, it is still very frustrating.

Hang in there and keep us updated!
I am in the applicant pool for full time work of two large counties, but even they are cutting back teachers and salaries!

I just want a job with benefits for next year!!!

Arggh!

Old 05-12-2008, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

My school district rescinded the layoff notices so I get to keep my job.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Congratulations Bette!!! I have been hoping and praying for good news as well!

ΚΔΠ Education Honor Society
Old 05-18-2008, 03:35 PM
wreckingcrew

3 weeks away from finishing my first year of teaching and coaching, and summer can't get here fast enough. I got my Texas certificate in March so I'm good to go. Right now I'm waiting to see who they bring in to be the next football coach, as our head coach left to take a job elsewhere. Hopefully the new guy won't be too bad and I won't have to go looking for a job this summer at Coaching Clinic.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Bump! I'm applying to sub in California right now. I passed the CBEST a while ago, and I'm working on getting all of my paperwork together. I still need a TB test as well as letters of reference. I just moved back home, so my whole life is pretty unorganized right now. Hopefully, I can start subbing before too long!
Old 10-06-2009, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck with subbing, Lucy KKG. Times are tough in California schools. I have been with my district for almost ten years, and I have never seen budget cuts like this. We can't buy any new textbooks until 2014, and for the 10-11 school year, there is talk of furlough days. Also, there are no longer yard duties- we have yard duty now. I know this sounds like a petty complaint, but many of us use that time to help students, and do what little prep work we can. Now, we will be lucky to get a 30 second bathroom break. Oh, and this is a k-6 district. I know that I am lucky to have a job, but I am dismayed at these budget cuts, and the effects that they will have on the students.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I'm still waiting to get my permit from the state. It's taking forever!! I mailed my packet in a day or two after my last post. I still have to give my stuff to the school district after I get the permit. Ugh! I applied to some private schools, because I've been waiting so long. (I went to one of them, and they now have three campuses, so we'll see.)

Also have an interview at Barnes and Noble on Thursday. :-) I worked there before, so I'll probably get it.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:31 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm THIS much closer to subbing! I finally got my substitute permit last week. Word of advice to anyone hoping to sub in California: take the CBEST early (it's easy) and apply for your sub permit as soon as you graduate from college!!

I can get my TB test results tomorrow, then I'm turning applications in right after I leave the doctor's office! Haha. I'm applying to 5 districts (I think), and only one requires letters of rec. Of course, it's the one I want the most. I have one letter, the second went in the mail this morning, and the third should go out in a day or two. Yay! I really hope I can start working in a few weeks. I have no idea how long each district takes with its sub hiring process.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a sub!!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck subbing in Cali! I'm a teacher in Georgia. Times are tough here in my district. We've already been furloughed 3 days and had pay freezes through next year at least. There is talk of 3 more furlough days for spring semester. The budget has been cut to the bone. My content area was supposed to go through the book adoption cycle this school year, but that was cancelled. I'm working with textbooks from 1996. The books are older than my students!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

^^ That totally sucks! I remember laughing at old books when I was in school cause of wrong information we found. I can't imagine having to use those as the teacher!

I didn't get to turn in my applications today because I forgot all of the district offices are close for Veterans' Day. Duh! I can't wait to get started, and I'm sure I'll be more nervous about it when the day actually comes.

I have a random question: would it be weird to introduce myself (or write on the board) as Miss Lastname? I really prefer Miss instead of Ms. but I'm already young, and I think Miss would just make me sound even younger.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKKG View Post
^^ That totally sucks! I remember laughing at old books when I was in school cause of wrong information we found. I can't imagine having to use those as the teacher!

I didn't get to turn in my applications today because I forgot all of the district offices are close for Veterans' Day. Duh! I can't wait to get started, and I'm sure I'll be more nervous about it when the day actually comes.

I have a random question: would it be weird to introduce myself (or write on the board) as Miss Lastname? I really prefer Miss instead of Ms. but I'm already young, and I think Miss would just make me sound even younger.
No, it's not weird to introduce yourself or use Miss at all! In fact, I did the same thing when I first started teaching before I got married. I always wrote my name and introduced myself as Miss Xidelt. I preferred it! In fact, I kinda miss it sometimes.....