GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 921
1 members and 920 guests
No Members online

Old 07-20-2000, 10:56 AM
Wood Slanger

Quote:
Originally posted by SapphireSensation:
Peace & Blessings
For MIP to be modified, people would have to first realize that what "Real" pledging is all about. Real pledging does not constitute being constantly beaten like a recalcitrant child. The purpose of getting wood IS ONLY SUPPOSED TO BE GIVEN AT ONE POINT DURING THE PLEDGE PROCESS, NOT THROUGHOUT. I cannot speak on my organization's symbolism. But, through my personal research on fraternal organizations(BGLOs, Masons, etc), the wood comes from the African Rites of Passage.
ANYBODY CAN TAKE PAIN!!!!!
It takes a true & real woman/man to learn the history of their respective organization and not only memorize it but EMBRACE IT.
The same Sorors & Frat that condemn you for being "paper" are the same ones that you NEVER SEE at a service project or even a scholarship luncheon. You only see them at a session, a party, boatride, etc. And, what kills me is that they still wear paraphernalia and they haven't been financial since they crossed. Overall, if you are not going to do right by your organization, then don't even mention that your a member. When you represent your organization, you BETTER represent it well!!!!!
So, when you wrap all of these elements up together, this is what you get...people, who are members of our organizations, that criticize and half-kill pledgees.
The happy medium will only come when people realize that the BRUTALITY is unnecessary and you can reap all of the fruits of being members of our illustrious organizations, just the same.

TrueGeekLove, I apologize for going off on a tangent but, there are cerain things that need to be said...thank you
SapphireSensation
I feel as though one needs some kind of physical pain when trying to enter a fraternity, I say this because first off NOT EVERYONE CAN TAKE PAIN. When pain is brought into the equation it allows the members to truly see how much the initiant really wants to be a part. Anyone can memorize facts and information. It isn't hard to read information and spit it back out in a comfrotable atmosphere. If an org is really in the business of making better men/women, they must test the individuals in every way possible. They need to be tested mentally, spiritally, and physically. There are also other lessons that can be learned from moderate physical trials. One key lesson is hummiliation, and nothing is more hummiliating than taking wood or something of that nature. I must say in closing that I do not advocate mindless beating of pledgees but I do feel as though for someone to just get a few signatures, write a essay or two, and learn information is not enough to join an orginization. The test of a man is the fight that he makes.
Old 07-20-2000, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to prospectiverushee
Angry

I wasn't going to comment on this seeing as I'm non-greek,but the post above by Wood Slanger made me mad.

It's posts like the one above that continues the unfair steorotype that non-greeks have about the greek system. Is that the way you recruit prospectives to your organization? And who are you to dictate what makes a man? The last time I checked character makes a man--not how much "wood" he took.

Maybe I've overreacting,but this kind of attitude "You're nothing unless you get beat down" irritates me
Old 07-20-2000, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

You're definitely overreacting, because this guy is unregistered, and he got exactly the kind of reaction he wanted. I find it best to ignore posts like that. Don't lose faith. I think you should have to do SOMETHING to prove your worth and become a brother/sister, but actual pain is not something you should have to deal with! Believe me, I didn't get hazed one iota, and I'm just as dedicated as the next guy!

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 07-22-2000, 04:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Salience Send a message via Yahoo to Salience
I agree w/ Corbin. You need to igg this person, because I don't believe he's a Greek.