GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,147
1 members and 1,146 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-30-2010, 11:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Yippee for Sigma Kappa! 17 years late, of course!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-30-2010, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
Pictionary was AGD, no?
Yes, the Wedding Cake House with the ghost and the Engagement was a "dead" give away
Old 08-30-2010, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay! I love retro stories! Welcome to GC, sister!
Old 08-30-2010, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Well done! But yes, what did happen to Silly?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Wooohooo!!! Yay Sigma Kappa!!

Although I did have a sneaking suspicion based on your username
Old 08-30-2010, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Awesome!! Congratulations on braving your way to a great group who really wanted you. Your name made me guess SK from the beginning, but you never know what those Rushee McGee girls will do to pull the wool over our eyes!

With the food comment I knew instantly that it wasn't Kappa. Can you imagine a table of blue & blue food? That would not be subtle. Or easy. We actually had a girl who refused to eat blue foods- she would scrape off the Kappa blue icing or throw out blue M&Ms. Still does to this day
Old 08-30-2010, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Odds and Ends/Happily Ever After

Much of bid day was a blur. She met lots and lots of people - her new sisters. Her pledge class, though smaller than some on campus, looked like a nice mix of all kinds of girls. They ate a huge dinner, and went through the pledging ceremony.

Her Pref Hostess, who we'll call Sister, became Rushee's first Heart Buddy. Later, she would become Rushee's Big Sis.

Her Second Round Hostess came up to her to tell her she'd saved her a goldfish - and that she could keep it as a pet or eat it. She told Rushee that she thought her comment was hilarious and knew she'd be a great fit at the house. WHew!

She met people she hadn't seen during Rush who seemed like they would make great friends. And they did.

And that Sigma Kappa Rho Chi who looked familiar? She was the one who had handed Rushee the financial sheets before she turned in the scantron after prefs. As a Rho Chi, she knew the numbers were low for both houses and knew that Rushee would likely end up wherever she ranked first. She told Rushee she remembered thinking after Rushee left, "There goes my new sister," and wished she hadn't been so huffy. Rushee never noticed.

Rushee McGee became a sister that fall - and though not every day was rainbows, pedicures and unicorns pooping cotton candy, Rushee had the experience of a lifetime. She made friends, laughed, cried, raged, got sick, got well, fell in love and and got her heart broken all under the roof of that house. She studied and got into her major. She partied and got into trouble (not legal or pregnant - just, you know, drunk). She fought with her sisters, she loved her sisters. She confided in them. They confided in her. Some days, she wondered what she had been thinking. Some days she wondered if things would have been different at Pictionary. Some days (not often) she thought of taking off her pin and walking out.

But most of the time, Rushee realized that what she had was special, insane and great.

Now, you may wonder what became of Silly. Well, much to Silly's dismay, there ended up being only one house that was interested in her after Rush. They courted her heavily, especially after she started dating a guy at a fraternity where a lot of their sisters had boyfriends. Silly never pledged, and Mrs. Oldschool swore that Risk would never get another dime from her.

Rushee's fears that Sigma Kappa might offer Silly a bid were quashed early. Because they were a small chapter, Sigma Kappa continued to Snap Bid throughout the fall. When Rushee mentioned that her roommate had dropped out of Rush, they asked about her. When she mentioned her roommate's name (which, I assure you was not actually Silly, but a name equally as distinctive), the three sisters she was talking with howled with laughter. They assured her that Silly had been cut. Why? Because apparently, she'd been so insistent during the parties that she wasn't interested in anything but Risk that they "set her free". That was the exact expression.

As for the Risk house, I'll never know why they cut Silly - likely because they were (and probably are) a house that can fill up with legacies alone every year. Now, why they chose to cut her so late in the game? Who knows. Poor form, in my opinion - and I honestly felt bad for Silly, worse for her mother, grandmother, sister, aunt and cousins - all of whom were Risks throughout the South.

Rushee eventually had enough of Silly and moved out of the dorms and into the house after Christmas. And she never saw Silly again. No kidding.

A few other side notes...

Sorry house apparently got in a little trouble that year - for something worse than flavored water. The word was that they advised everyone at Prefs to suicide their house, and they'd get them in by Snap Bidding. It worked. A little too well - they were at house total within moments. They left a lot of mismatched girls twisting in the wind. Sigma Kappa ended up with a few of them and they were great additions to my Pledge Class. By the time I went through initiation, we had a respectable sized class, and in the years that followed, we nearly doubled in size.

In case you're wondering (and I know I would be), I suspect I would have found equal happiness at Pictionary - aka Alpha Gamma Delta. The slight edge that Sigma Kappa had was that Rushee wasn't a touchy feely girl, and prefs made her feel a little squicky. At Sigma Kappa her host read her a little better, and that was that. The matching food at AGD, for what it's worth were green grapes, buff cheesecake and red strawberries. It was adorable. Seriously.

Some years after graduation, I met a UGA AGD at Weight Watchers (eh, it happens to the best of us) and found out that she was a year ahead of me. We were thisclose to having been sisters. Of course, she had preffed at SK, too, so, you never know.

Finally, Scrabble, where I was a legacy, is Kappa Alpha Theta. I was paired up with their President in a project for school my Senior year, and found her to be a great girl - and I did finally get the house tour there when I met her to work on our material.

Today, many of my closest girlfriends were Greek (GPhiB, TriSig and so on)at their schools, and what we have decided is this:

Every house has partiers. Every house has studiers. Every house has girls who don't miss a Bible Study, and girls who don't set foot inside a place of worship for fear of lightning striking it. In your house, there are going to be girls you don't like, and girls you love. Every house has girls who own the entire Clinique (or in 2010 parlance, MAC or Sephora) line of products, and girls who consider Burt's Bees makeup. Some girls will date all the time, some will have to borrow other sisters' male friends every year for formal. Some girls will do things you don't agree with, and you'll either confront it or let it go. But go into it with an open mind, and give it a shot. Because, even if sometimes I can't believe I joined a sorority, there's nothing in this world that can compare.

Good luck!

Rushee "BraveMaroon" McGee
Old 08-30-2010, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, you'll see above that Pictionary was in fact, AGD. I have disclosed a few of the houses' identities, though not all. I

And I thought I was being sooo sneaky. Leave it to an Alpha Gam to suss out the truth!

But really, think about it - there are so few houses where you could have color coordinated food.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post
Odds and Ends/Happily Ever After

Rushee McGee became a sister that fall - and though not every day was rainbows, pedicures and unicorns pooping cotton candy, Rushee had the experience of a lifetime. She made friends, laughed, cried, raged, got sick, got well, fell in love and and got her heart broken all under the roof of that house. She studied and got into her major. She partied and got into trouble (not legal or pregnant - just, you know, drunk). She fought with her sisters, she loved her sisters. She confided in them. They confided in her. Some days, she wondered what she had been thinking. Some days she wondered if things would have been different at Pictionary. Some days (not often) she thought of taking off her pin and walking out.

But most of the time, Rushee realized that what she had was special, insane and great.
I literally laughed and teared up at this. Truer words have probably been spoken, but none so applicable to the crazy ride that is Sisterhood <3.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

We do take pride in having our food match our colors at numerous events, seriously... at our International Reunion Day luncheon, meals at Convention, etc. It's an Alpha Gam thing and very easy to do given our colors! And, well, I am friends with a large group of women from our Gamma Alpha chapter from that era so I recognized things. In fact, one sister I've become very close to through volunteering on the International level was President of that chapter in 90/91 so there were many things that sounded familiar
Old 08-31-2010, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

This is a great story, and I hope every PNM reads this. Although you did have the "click" that everyone expects (but not everyone gets), you also explained the ups and downs of membership very well. Plus the tears are not mandatory for a successful or meaningful Preference night.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveMaroon View Post
Today, many of my closest girlfriends were Greek (GPhiB, TriSig and so on)at their schools, and what we have decided is this:

Every house has partiers. Every house has studiers. Every house has girls who don't miss a Bible Study, and girls who don't set foot inside a place of worship for fear of lightning striking it. In your house, there are going to be girls you don't like, and girls you love. Every house has girls who own the entire Clinique (or in 2010 parlance, MAC or Sephora) line of products, and girls who consider Burt's Bees makeup. Some girls will date all the time, some will have to borrow other sisters' male friends every year for formal. Some girls will do things you don't agree with, and you'll either confront it or let it go. But go into it with an open mind, and give it a shot. Because, even if sometimes I can't believe I joined a sorority, there's nothing in this world that can compare.
BEST.QUOTE.ON GC.EVER. I'm contemplating putting this as my Facebook status (even though no one really can appreciate it since all the actives deactivated FB tonight..darn!)

Seriously, can this quote be stickied/stitched on a pillow/written in the sky? LOVE IT!

Amazing story!!

Last edited by twinkle555; 08-31-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:04 AM
GreekChat Member

This is what bugs me about the "it didn't fit" thing, especially on a campus with HUGE houses. Seriously, do you think in 4 meetings of about 2 hours TOTAL a house could figure out which girls are the partiers, the smart ones, the sluts, to maintain a reputation top to bottom, even if they wanted to?
Old 08-31-2010, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
We do take pride in having our food match our colors at numerous events, seriously... at our International Reunion Day luncheon, meals at Convention, etc. It's an Alpha Gam thing and very easy to do given our colors! And, well, I am friends with a large group of women from our Gamma Alpha chapter from that era so I recognized things. In fact, one sister I've become very close to through volunteering on the International level was President of that chapter in 90/91 so there were many things that sounded familiar
I've looked at Spinach Lasagna with Marinara sauce and thought about the Alpha Gammyness of the food.

It's a sickness.

FWIW, the wedding cake house sounded familiar, but I couldn't place it, and I did not guess that it was UGA.

I'm a guess failure. Womp womp.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Yay! I love a Sig Kap ending - and I had a feeling about this one