GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,417
1 members and 2,416 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 01-24-2015, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

All quiet on the Western Front, I had to read the book in high school. Boring is an understatement.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrozen Sands View Post
All quiet on the Western Front, I had to read the book in high school. Boring is an understatement.
I read the book before I saw the movie. I loved the book, and the movie isn't that far from the book at all.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 01-24-2015, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

While I have mentioned it before, THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, is one of the best "war" films I have ever seen and if it's on tv, I watch it.

But there is a twist: it is about the effects after WWII of the soldiers coming home.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZetaPhi708.20 View Post
While I have mentioned it before, THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES, is one of the best "war" films I have ever seen and if it's on tv, I watch it.

But there is a twist: it is about the effects after WWII of the soldiers coming home.
I want to see that one. I've never heard of it. Is it on Netflix?
Old 01-24-2015, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
I want to see that one. I've never heard of it. Is it on Netflix?
You can get it from Netflix DVD but it is not streaming there. I also checked the free streaming on TCM's website but they only have clips and they play it semi-regularly on TCM; and that is one film that I do not spoil ever, as it would take away from it's powerful impact.

Powerfully moving, the film's last few scenes are so human. I'm not going to say why but you will see.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You can get it from Netflix DVD but it is not streaming there. I also checked the free streaming on TCM's website but they only have clips and they play it semi-regularly on TCM; and that is one film that I do not spoil ever, as it would take away from it's powerful impact.

Powerfully moving, the film's last few scenes are so human. I'm not going to say why but you will see.
Thanks, ZetaPhi. I only have the streaming feature on Netflix. But I looked it up on YouTube, and I saw the full movie on there. Woohoo for Smart TVs.

I'm going to watch it tonight.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks, ZetaPhi. I only have the streaming feature on Netflix. But I looked it up on YouTube, and I saw the full movie on there. Woohoo for Smart TVs.

I'm going to watch it tonight.
With all of the press lately for PTSD affecting soldiers returning from war, it really fits into various discussions. FYI: Harold Russell won 2 Oscars, a Supporting Actor and a Honorary. He is one of the rare non-professional actors to win an Oscar.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
With all of the press lately for PTSD affecting soldiers returning from war, it really fits into various discussions. FYI: Harold Russell won 2 Oscars, a Supporting Actor and a Honorary. He is one of the rare non-professional actors to win an Oscar.
-- I tried watching it, but although they have the full movie on YT, when I clicked on it, they still redirected me to open some weird account to watch free movies. According to Google, it's on Red Box. I'll try them.

Speaking of war classics, I forgot to mention:

Full Metal Jacket (hilarious at some parts)
http://youtu.be/5TNhS81w4bM

Platoon
http://youtu.be/90B5REGHc0w
Old 01-27-2015, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Does anyone remember this one?
http://youtu.be/5q27jdZj5TQ

A great movie. Not quite as suspenseful as Jaws 1, 2, or 3, but still a very good movie. I liked it.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
-- I tried watching it, but although they have the full movie on YT, when I clicked on it, they still redirected me to open some weird account to watch free movies. According to Google, it's on Red Box. I'll try them.

Speaking of war classics, I forgot to mention:

Full Metal Jacket (hilarious at some parts)
http://youtu.be/5TNhS81w4bM

Platoon
http://youtu.be/90B5REGHc0w
Or check at a local dvd store or resale place.

Full Metal Jacket is one of the many masterpieces of Stanley Kubrick.

He only won one Oscar, for visual effects for "2001" (MGM submitted his name as the nominee in that category, not Douglas Trumball, et. al.)
Old 01-31-2015, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

The very rare, and not on dvd, 1983 animated cult classic TWICE UPON A TIME, will be shown very late tonight as a part of TCM's Underground. It starts at 2:15am EST.

http://moviemorlocks.com/2015/01/28/...n-a-time-1983/

http://youtu.be/IM0LFuwLpFU
Old 02-06-2015, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm watching "The Best Years of our Lives" right now. That guy is cheating on his wife. -- hilarious. Great movie, so far.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Another classic returns to theaters for only 2 shows at select theaters on March 26 & March 31: this classic defined the 80s generation of teens and is one of the many now iconic films of the late John Hughes:

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/the-breakfast-club

So, Greekchatters, were you the rebel, the jock, the princess, the brain or the outcast?

(I find it highly ironic that we talked about this movie earlier when I created this thread HA HA )

Last edited by ZetaPhi708.20; 02-14-2015 at 09:00 AM.