GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 536
2 members and 534 guests
Low D Flat, naraht

Old 04-17-2000, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to D.D.?
Thumbs down

dump the jerkoff, and don't put the stereotypes on us...

------------------
D.D.? - Designated Driver ?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-09-2000, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Butterfly, sucks to be you!! Anyway, it sounds like you are in denial about your boyfriend.
Sororities are not to be blamed because of this girls indiscretion. If she's promiscuous, then so be it. It could have very well been another woman that was just as promiscuous.
Of course this girls actions do not reflect her sororities beliefs and standards. Get over it and stop finding other reasons for your anger other than you just have a cheating boyfriend.

------------------
*selah*
Old 05-10-2000, 06:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Siobhan
Angry

Butterfly,

I really can't stand people who jump to conclusions like yours. So there are a few bad apples on one campus that really doesn't speak for each and every greek organization throughout North America.

Old 05-11-2000, 03:28 AM
Dgirl

Thumbs down

Do NOT speak badly of an organination of which I am proudly a member because your boyfriend can't keep his fly zipped. The sorority system isn't wrong, your realationship is. If you want too look for a place to lay the blame look no farther than your so-called realationship. YOUR BOYFRIEND is the slut here. --
A PROUD DELTA GAMMA VIRGIN UNTIL MARRIGE
Old 05-11-2000, 03:12 PM
dirtyharry

Angry

Butterfly,

After reading your last post, I can understand why the soror's would feel as if you're generalizing and associating them with being ho's. Your man played you and the other girl for sex. Yes you and she should be pissed. It appears that since she happened to be in a sorority, it seemed to have pressed your little "hate greek" buttons. Well you are mad at the wrong person. Hell I wouldn't be shocked if you're still seeing the guy in some capacity. My advice: Take it to Ricki Lake, it's not for us to review you personal business. If you put it out there then expect us speak up.

As far as the greeks responsibility to improve people and all that other nonsense, I can only speak my frat. when I say, we expect you to come the table correct. We don't make you better or worse. You are supposed to have it together when you step to us. Yes, when you represent the frat, yoiu need to have your "A Game" ready. But then you need to take what you have learned and apply it to life to maybe enhance who you are. But I as a member of a greek lettered org. I am not responsible for making people better. That's crazy. You want to be better join the Army and "Be All You Can Be".

Peace!
Old 05-11-2000, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Red face

Quote:
Butterfly posted
...My point was that I can't believe HOW many girls involved in sororities are trashy, slutty and lack any kind of morals whatsoever. I know that just because a large number of sluts are involved in the Greek system doesn't mean that EVERY sorority girl is promiscuous...
So, where do find the information and statistics on how many sorority girls are trashy sluts? Time, Newsweek, Ameircan Journal of Medicine...

I hope you're getting my point. Sure, I knew a few sorority girls in college who fit this description, but I think if I compared that percentage of them w/ the percentage of trashy, slutty non-sorority girls, the results would be surprising to you.

People are offended because you came across as coming on here, telling us about your trashy, slutty boyfriend, and blaming it on sororities for not 'training' their women better. Whether that's what you meant or not, that's what I understood it as.

It's unfortunate that your boyfriend screwed up + cheated, but that's between him and you. Don't let this girl's involvement w/ him reflect your opinion of every Greek you meet for the rest of your life.

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter

[This message has been edited by SilverTurtle (edited May 11, 2000).]
Old 05-12-2000, 12:35 AM
Butterrfly

Angry

Look, all of you, I KNOW my boyfriend screwed up......BIGTIME. I am NOT taking the blame away from him. He was the one that made the choice to have sex with that girl. His lack of judgement and morals is a WHOLE different story. Sorry if I came across as blaming sorority girls. My point was that I can't believe HOW many girls involved in sororities are trashy, slutty and lack any kind of morals whatsoever. I know that just because a large number of sluts are involved in the Greek system doesn't mean that EVERY sorority girl is promiscuous. That wasn't my point. I'm not that freaking ignorant. I am just saddened by the fact that these promiscuous girls are so lost....and its even more sad that the productive and constructive aspects of the sororities that they may be a part of aren't helping them to become better people. THAT was my point. The Greek system is supposed to help build character....help refine you and make you a better person.Apparently that isn't the case for the sluts of the Greek world.

>: (
Old 05-12-2000, 05:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Hmm, making the a generalization statement about a group from one experience. My advisor would have a field day with you. Let see, if I used your logic, I could safely say, everybody driving a BMW is a coke head who swindle old ladies saving to a stock that nose dive. Or better yet, we could replaced that with a race, creed, color, sexual orientation, etc... Your logic is illogical. Hence you need to step back, reassesed (did I spell that right?) your argument, and come back with a valid argument.

Let see, only 20 post to go before I'm a senior member.

------------------
What ever you do, take care of your shoes
-Phish
Old 05-19-2000, 11:44 PM
silentlamb_34

Wink

Butterfly, are you sure that you're not just using the fact that this girl was in a sorority as a way to trash her? Yes, she did do some seriously questionable things, but like you said, it takes two to tango. Why isn't your ex-boyfriend the dirty one for having unprotected sex with someone that he had known for only a couple of weeks? I am sorry if your heart was broken,and I can understand that you have a lot of hostility towards the girl, but don't trash her organization (or sororities as a whole) in an effort to get back at her.

S.O.T.L.
Spr.99

Old 05-20-2000, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

BUTTERFLY,
YOU NEED TO FACE THE FACT THAT YOUR ISSUE IS WITH YOUR BOYFRIEND. HOW COULD YOU COME ON THIS FORUM AND GET SO PERSONAL. WE ARE ON A NEED TO KNOW BASIS. YOU SHOULD BE CALLING YOUR BOYFRIEND A HO AND I HOPE YOU MADE HIM YOUR EX BECAUSE IN THE END YOU ARE THE STUPID ONE.
Old 06-02-2000, 01:35 PM
Butterrfly

Unhappy

Practice what you preach....if you don't want me stereotyping and speaking badly of YOUR organization, then don't do it yourself. You just called my boyfriend a slut. That's a bit hypocritical, don't you think? He had a one night stand.....so instantly he is a slut. Hmmmm....sounds just like the logic other's are throwing my way about my opinion on sororities. Guess I'm not the only one guilty of stereotyping and jumping to conclusions.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dgirl:
Do NOT speak badly of an organination of which I am proudly a member because your boyfriend can't keep his fly zipped. The sorority system isn't wrong, your realationship is. If you want too look for a place to lay the blame look no farther than your so-called realationship. YOUR BOYFRIEND is the slut here. --
A PROUD DELTA GAMMA VIRGIN UNTIL MARRIGE
Old 06-02-2000, 01:40 PM
Butterrfly

Angry

Again, my point has been missed. I AM NOT GENERALIZING ABOUT AN ENTIRE group from one bad experience. I was simply commenting on how many promiscuous girls are involved in sororities. I NEVER EVER said that just because a girl is in a sorority, she must be a slut. READ WHAT I HAVE WRITTEN! I am not that ignorant.Give me a break. Learn to comprehend what you are reading next time.

Quote:
Originally posted by SigEpYoda:
Hmm, making the a generalization statement about a group from one experience. My advisor would have a field day with you. Let see, if I used your logic, I could safely say, everybody driving a BMW is a coke head who swindle old ladies saving to a stock that nose dive. Or better yet, we could replaced that with a race, creed, color, sexual orientation, etc... Your logic is illogical. Hence you need to step back, reassesed (did I spell that right?) your argument, and come back with a valid argument.

Let see, only 20 post to go before I'm a senior member.
Old 06-02-2000, 01:45 PM
Butterrfly

I do think that my boyfriend is disgusting because of what he did. I did not bring up that side of the situation because I chose not to. What he did is even worse that what that girl did...I know that. I wasn't ever trying to trash sororities as a whole...or even that girl's sorority. I was just commenting on how its a bit disappointing that the positive aspects of being in a sorority can't and don't always help all of those involved in it. That's all. Yes, I am angry and bitter, I will admit that. And perhaps in light of my anger, I didn't make my arguement very clear.

Quote:
Originally posted by silentlamb_34:
Butterfly, are you sure that you're not just using the fact that this girl was in a sorority as a way to trash her? Yes, she did do some seriously questionable things, but like you said, it takes two to tango. Why isn't your ex-boyfriend the dirty one for having unprotected sex with someone that he had known for only a couple of weeks? I am sorry if your heart was broken,and I can understand that you have a lot of hostility towards the girl, but don't trash her organization (or sororities as a whole) in an effort to get back at her.

S.O.T.L.
Spr.99

Old 08-03-2000, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

the sorority girl had no commitment, unspoken or otherwise, to you. true, she is sleazy, but she didn't cheat on anyone or break any promises. your boyfriend did. he shoulders at least 75% of the guilt here.

Old 08-03-2000, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Butterfly,

I can hear the pain in your situation, and I pray that God sends angels of healing to you, and that you are able to recieve them.

As for your opinion of "slutty sorority girls" two things 1) Why didn't you attribute the "slut factor" to the university? You said that it was the greeks from a nearby university, It would seem to me that they were more alike in that way than in a greek way. It sounds like you had some grudges against greekdom anyway.
2) So what if ALL sorority girls were total HOES!!! What does that have to do with you? We are a closed society unto ourselves. Our ways and training and culture are not ment to be understood or even liked by everyone. That's not even the goal. If you feel that sororities don't do a good enough job of training young ladies, you've got two choices, join and change them from the inside out, or leave us alone. But I will tell you this, If you are on a kick about the morals of young women today, why would you start with the ones who are in college, trying to make a better life for themselves, committed to public service, in bonds of sisterhood, and (at least striving) for excellence? It would seem to me that you'd make a better impact on our Teenage mothers and child crack addicts.

------------------
If you can't raise conciousness, at least raise hell!--Rita Mae Brown