GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,371
0 members and 1,371 guests
No Members online

Old 08-19-2020, 03:06 PM

I’ve heard of people getting more money from (PA example) a private school like Westminster than Penn State.

Not sure if this is feasible at OP’s school (guessing it is) but another way to reduce dues? Get rid of the house. Either sell it to the school or rent it to the school or another Greek chapter or special interest group. Again, this probably didn’t even cross their minds.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
The more I think about this the madder I get. It’s all just so damned selfish!!!

I think cheese popcorn is the most disgusting substance on earth - but I’m not going to go around blowing up all the cheese popcorn factories. I can’t stand Faith Hill’s singing but I’m not going to do her harm, I’ll just not listen to her.

The utter lack of ingenuity and originality is what gets me. Dues are too expensive for some people? Start a Anonymousie’s U Greek Scholarship Fund that all the groups can participate in. Legacy preference is harmful? Discuss it with your HQ and give concrete examples of where it’s hurt the chapter. If it still isn’t your thing, fine, quit. But don’t ruin it for others who might enjoy it. If you think you are so much better, create an alternative and people will flock to it if you’re right.

Well I guess I know what not to get you that DVD of Faith's Christmas Special and the 5 gal tub of cheese corn.

All kidding aside, I have to wonder if the other major 2020 event is also contributing to these decisions for collegiate members choosing to end their Greek affiliation. How many have families that have been financially impacted due to COVID 19 and were being told that they could no longer afford dues? Members who might also be having trouble finding a part time job to pay for the activities/dues? Who has chosen to remain at home because all instruction will be online so why even go to campus if you can't participate in anything?
Old 08-19-2020, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the problem with dues is that in many cases, collegiate members truly don't know what they're paying for or why. Even if there are meetings establishing budgets, how many are paying attention to the breakdown? Is the breakdown distributed?

After BLM and COVID both became THE topics of 2020, there were many angry collegians wondering why national organizations were still collecting national dues and/or why they weren't donating large sums of money to BLM-related organizations and nonprofits. All of us here are aware of how our organizations operate and understand the relatively minimal amount of money per collegian our organizations typically receive through dues. They need to be able to keep the lights on, pay salaries, cover insurance, and run programs to provide members with helpful and meaningful experiences.

But how transparent are GLOs? I was going through some NPC websites recently for reference for a project, and props to SDT for laying out dues on their website: https://sigmadeltatau.org/join-us/pr...national-fees/. I don't know if there are others who do the same, but financial transparency is especially important nowadays. Even before the s***storm of 2020, college costs have been exponentially rising, and if students are going to fork over even more money for something, they want to see the value in it and know they're putting it toward the right things.

I know I'm playing a bit of devil's advocate here. But I think there is a higher level of understanding needed from both sides - the organizations and newer members - in order to come together and find solutions that will benefit everyone.

But if collegians simply want to scream, "Dues aren't fair and are discriminatory!" then that's absurd.

@~/~~~~
Old 08-19-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
Well I guess I know what not to get you that DVD of Faith's Christmas Special and the 5 gal tub of cheese corn.

All kidding aside, I have to wonder if the other major 2020 event is also contributing to these decisions for collegiate members choosing to end their Greek affiliation. How many have families that have been financially impacted due to COVID 19 and were being told that they could no longer afford dues? Members who might also be having trouble finding a part time job to pay for the activities/dues? Who has chosen to remain at home because all instruction will be online so why even go to campus if you can't participate in anything?
Then just terminate yourself. Don’t blow up the whole thing and ruin it for anyone else. That’s the definition of self centeredness. Yes it may be embarrassing to admit you’re doing so because you’re in dire straits financially, but you are hardly the only person it’s happening to right now.

Last edited by 33girl; 08-19-2020 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororitysock View Post
Why does it seem the groups that want to do this are all at private, expensive (how discriminatory to the less financially fortunate!), selective (how discriminatory to those with low GPAs and test results!) colleges?
Where there is an alleged victim, there will always appear a rescuer. A rescuer may feel if everyone can't belong, then no one should be able to join.

In addition: people with the means to attend private, expensive, selective schools may feel they somehow don't deserve all they have been given in life, and thus they will feel a need to change/destroy what others may perceive as part of their privilege.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.

Last edited by Cheerio; 08-20-2020 at 09:52 AM.