GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,366
0 members and 2,366 guests
No Members online

Old 03-30-2013, 03:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Can I go Early Alum?

x

Last edited by blueroni; 03-31-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-30-2013, 03:53 AM
GreekChat Member

I can't speak for your sorority specifically, but I would imagine most would allow you to go into alumnae status early. Talk with your president or advisor about it.

@~/~~~~
Old 03-30-2013, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

With some sororities it is either all or nothing. You are either an active collegiate, meeting financial and membership obligations, or you must resign your membership, or, when you fall x amount of payments behind, you are financially expelled.

As ASTalumna06 suggested, speak with your alumna advisor.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Again - there are some groups that will allow you to take early alum status once you are married, but again, you need to ask your advisor.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:38 PM

1) Read your chapter's bylaws and any National policies. My own chapter had much more stringent rules than our National policies.

2) Are you looking for a short term leave of absence (LOA) or do you plan on not returning to active collegiate status before you graduate? Some sororities do offer LOA for specific reasons. It's usually a one time use for a specific period of time. Again, read your bylaws.

3) Your grad school plans and forthcoming engagement don't have any baring on this question.

4) Definitely speak with your applicable VPs for Scholarship and Finance. They may have more information and can tell you what options are available. If you're not already, a payment plan might be feasible.

5) The VPs may have you speak with their advisors in an effort to find a solution. Sometimes, exceptions have to be escalated for approval.

6) Find out what resources your school provides. There may be scholarships and loans you qualify to receive.

7) Finally, check out your school's mental health resources. The hardships you described are a lot for anyone to deal with at any age. Speaking with a counselor can help you learn to effectively deal with what I'm sure is an emotionally draining experience.

Good Luck!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroni View Post
Hey everyone. So I have been in my sorority since Fall 2011. I will be graudating next May (2014). I am going to graduate school immediately after. I am also getting engaged soon (boyfriend is deployed military and bad with keeping coy). I am asking about early alum status. I am understanding that you can go emergency alum early if you have a financial, family, or medical emergency. So here is my story:
I am finishing up some major pre-med classes and work 3 days a week serving, and sporatic tutoring. Even so, I can't afford my bills, saving up for life after college, and tuition and dues alone, so my parents help me out. My home life is disasterous. They are separated so I sleep in my car sometimes when neither of them want me around. When things cool down I return home. However, my dad took a pay cut from work, and my mom and her husband's income just took a 20% slash. I can't work any extra or my grades will drop. Will I be able to claim financial (or family) hardship?
Also, there's not much info on early alum for my chapter. What are the rules pertaining to when you can apply.
Wow, OP, you should talk to the person who started this thread. You two seem to have a lot in common:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...d.php?t=133307

Quote:
Originally Posted by bas View Post
I have been a part of my sorority for the past 2 years. I commute and work a lot, so I have not been able to attend every single thing we have had going on, however I have been involved, definitely. Why do I want to disaffiliate? I gave it my best try, I just didn't really click with them. My best friend in there is leaving soon also. It was fun at first but now it just seems like an obligation. It's not just me, about 60 women have disaffiliated in the past 5-10 years alone. That's a lot.
I am one of few who commutes and has a job and a difficult major. Sorry, I am pre-med and work my butt off a little harder than a fashion major (no offense, I know everyone works for grades). I don't go to many parties or the greek bars, and I miss a few co-sponsorships. That does not give newer sisters the right to disrespect me the way they do. Don't accuse me of being an ungrateful, lazy sister when you are on the phone screaming at your mom because she can't give you $600 overnight for your rent when you don't have a job. Also, our treasurer sucks. She keeps overcharging me on dues and when I tell our secretary she does nothing.
We had a problem with sisters posting things on those anonymous college fb's calling a sister a jezebel (you know what word I mean) and a b****. We had a problem with sisters talking to the new members the day after they accepted their bids. They trash talked SO many sisters that a fraternity overheard it and thought it was so nasty they came to our exec board for it.
Now I don't expect sunshine and rainbows and BFF hearts evrywhere. But I am SO unhappy. I am having anxiety attacks at this point that are just consuming. I wish it was different because I really like the alumni but I can't wait another year until I graduate.
So I guess I am asking for opinions. Does disaffiliation seem justified? I won't name my sorority out of decency.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh boy.....this and the other thread...

I can't speak for other sororities; but, for mine, there is no such thing as "early alum". For college women, either you're an active or you resign your membership.

Alumnae status is for those members in good standing who either got married or have graduated.

True and Constant
Old 03-30-2013, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a discussion you need to have with your chapter adviser and exec board, and not an answer you will get on Greek Chat. Sorority policies vary, and policies may vary from chapter to chapter of the same sorority. Document your hardship in writing and inquire through proper sorority chapter channels. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post

I can't speak for other sororities; but, for mine, there is no such thing as "early alum". For college women, either you're an active or you resign your membership.

Alumnae status is for those members in good standing who either got married or have graduated.
We allow a semester of "interim status" for women facing exceptional circumstances, studying abroad, co-oping out of town, etc.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
We allow a semester of "interim status" for women facing exceptional circumstances, studying abroad, co-oping out of town, etc.

We do as well; but, we only approve those in truly exceptional circumstances. Unfortunately, we found that most of the members who inquire about that option don't have an exceptional circumstance. They were just looking to get out of their obligations.

Just as a side note - In my previous life as an Academic Adviser, I often found myself having to explain to students that some obligations need to be met whether they like it or not. For example, no, they can't just drop a class because the subject wasn't as interesting as they thought it would be or let them drop a class two weeks before the end of the semester because they're failing and they want out.

I explain to students that college is great preparation for life and how now is a great opportunity to learn how to handle uncomfortable and unfortunate circumstances. I asked my students to consider a hypothetical future where they were a mom or dad with a 4 year old son diagnosed with leukemia. I asked my students, "So, do you just say, 'Having kids wasn't as fun as I thought it was going to be. This one's defective, can I get a different son?'" Absurd, right? Of course....and there will be cancer, job losses, divorces and accidents to deal with in the future. We can't just go "early alum" on life's problems when we don't feel like dealing with them anymore.

True and Constant
Old 03-31-2013, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
We do as well; but, we only approve those in truly exceptional circumstances. Unfortunately, we found that most of the members who inquire about that option don't have an exceptional circumstance. They were just looking to get out of their obligations.
Right, these had to be approved by a LOT of people in the chain of command.

It was pretty routine for women who were physically not on campus for one reason or another, but "my classes are really hard this semester" or "I am sad about my break-up" just didn't cut it.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroni View Post
x
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas View Post
x
if i wanted a rude response i would have asked my chapter
Another coincidence!!

Old 03-31-2013, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:

Sorry for the late crash here.... just curious - if an active member of your organization gets married, do they HAVE to go on alum, or can they remain an active collegiate member?

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 04-01-2013, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
Sorry for the late crash here.... just curious - if an active member of your organization gets married, do they HAVE to go on alum, or can they remain an active collegiate member?

I believe that she can remain an active member; but, I'd have to double-check on that.

True and Constant
Old 04-01-2013, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

You can stay if you're married in mine as well but you have to state that you want to.