GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,303
2 members and 2,301 guests
No Members online

Old 03-24-2010, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyj87 View Post
I believe because Kappa Sigma is still going to let them be a chapter, just without school or IFC recognition.....

I could be wrong.
That is correct
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-24-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
From what I've been told, please understand this is hear say or whatever, one of the probelms with Kappa Sigma coming to FGCU was that they are not part of NIC which leads to insurance reasons. Can anyone exlpain this?
I'm sure they still have insurance. It just may not be from the same carrier that the NIC groups use. I just looked at the NIC site and I couldn't find anything about any sort of blanket insurance.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Yea. Kappa Sigma has done many non campus recognized colonies and chapters at different colleges across the country. The colonies and chapters have always ended up getting recognized by the schools in which they pursued. I can see everything getting worked out within a matter of time.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex in effect View Post
Yea. Kappa Sigma has done many non campus recognized colonies and chapters at different colleges across the country. The colonies and chapters have always ended up getting recognized by the schools in which they pursued. I can see everything getting worked out within a matter of time.
Yeah, hopefully this gets worked out soon. We've been at it for awhile now and we are doing anything we can to get support of the fellow students and greek life. Its just a matter of time.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I believe because Kappa Sigma is still going to let them be a chapter, just without school or IFC recognition.....

I could be wrong.

From what I've been told, please understand this is hear say or whatever, one of the problems with Kappa Sigma coming to FGCU was that they are not part of NIC which leads to insurance reasons. Can anyone explain this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I'm sure they still have insurance. It just may not be from the same carrier that the NIC groups use. I just looked at the NIC site and I couldn't find anything about any sort of blanket insurance.
I have never heard of any kind of blanket insurance for NIC members. Do any of the other umbrella organizations/councils provide blanket insurance coverage for their members?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
I have never heard of any kind of blanket insurance for NIC members. Do any of the other umbrella organizations/councils provide blanket insurance coverage for their members?
I didn't either which was why I looked. It might be that you get a discount from, say, Quackquack Insurance Co if you're an NIC member but it doesn't mean that you still can't get the same kind of insurance from Quackquack if you belong to the same kind of organization.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't worry. Nationals is gonna take care of the issue. You're gonna be a brother soon. You guys just need to keep doing good things and keep a positive image in the community. This issue is also occuring at Coastal Carolina.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigAdvisor View Post
Lane Sig-

You are dead wrong. All North American Fraternities have a united interest in equal protection of the laws and in protecting our rights as single gender organizations. Fraternities have been litigating First Amendment issues for the past 50 years, and thanks to Title 9 and United States Supreme Court case law, we are recognized as "expressive associations" entitled to complete First Amendment protection despite our single gender status. For this reason, when it comes to protecting our classification, all fraternities support each other in free expansion issues. Freedom of association issues are intertwined with freedom of expansion issues, and when we blur the lines like the undergrads in IFC have done at FGCU, we weaken our position and open ourselves up for attack from those who would challenge fraternities and sororities as discriminatory organizations. On public universities, we have to stand and fight together to support open expansion. I could give you a lengthier explanation, but hopefully you get it.

As such, in the NIC constitution, each member fraternity swears to uphold and support free expansion. Try to be educated, not just opinionated. Kappa Sigma contacted every single executive office of the fraternities on FGCU's campus, asking for their support. We have letters and emails from every single fraternity supporting our petition to join IFC at FGCU. Sigma Chi is the only fraternity that doesn't require their Chapters to vote in a certain way, but they openly support us and encourage their chapters to vote accordingly. All of the other fraternities have instructed their chapters at FGCU to vote in favor of Kappa Sigma joining IFC. Apparently they didn't get the message.

So, this IS how it works. Should I repeat myself? We are all on the same team here in fighting for Greek organizations rights to equal protection of the laws, pursuant to the 14th Amendment, and for the right to freely associate, pursuant to the First Amendment. Once on campus, we should compete against each other in a fraternal manner. But as far as fighting for our rights at public universities, we are all in this together. Kappa Sigma is the first chapter to always vote in favor of recognizing any fraternity that wants to come onto any campus. We instruct our chapters to vote that way, and we do it for a reason. This support is reciprocal. It does work this way.
Um Kappa Sigma isn't even NIC anymore isn't it?
Old 04-01-2010, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi,

Also a member of the soon to be Rho-Zeta Chapter of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity here at Florida Gulf Coast University.
In addition to what the advisor said above, we are in pursuit of catalyzing the change to the current IFC bylaws at the University to streamline Greek growth & the benefits recieved from this. Our vision is not to "open the flood gates", but to open the gates period, and by doing so - put the ability of recognition in the hands of the prospective group.
Consider if you will for a minute how competition in all aspects of life pushes one to thrive. This same concept certainly applies to the Greek community at FGCU and any campus. Ammending the current policies and procedures to put the capacity of recognition in the hands of the students can be a relatively simple process.

If a nationally recognized interest group/colony/chapter that is unrecognized by the university & the university's IFC:

- Completes the checklist set forth by nationals (membership, GPA, community service hours, fundraising dollars per man, campus involvement, etc...).

- Is, at the least, 1/3 the size of the current largest fraternal chapter on campus.

- & shows, through presentation to the IFC, that they would be a beneficial asset to the community, the university, greek life, and the IFC.

... they should be allowed recognition, following the ideals of open expansion. Of course, the vote would be cast through the IFC delegates - but to accomplish the feats above is no simple task. While it ultimately puts the ability in the hands of those in pursuit, it also defends from "the flood gates opening". The concept, if possible to institute, would surely benefit all and draw harm to none. If possible, this is what I would personally like to see happen at Florida Gulf Coast University - with Kappa Sigma leading the way for that change.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, meant to update an earlier post too. Total of 30 in the colony - 12 of whom are from the original pledge class on 12/10/08. None of these 12 men were involved in any bad relations with campus involvement, greek life, or the IFC. As stated earlier, the members whom were responsible for the "bad blood" have been depledged and are no longer with our cause today.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K∑_PZ_AEKΔB View Post
Hi,

Also a member of the soon to be Rho-Zeta Chapter of the Kappa Sigma Fraternity here at Florida Gulf Coast University.
In addition to what the advisor said above, we are in pursuit of catalyzing the change to the current IFC bylaws at the University to streamline Greek growth & the benefits recieved from this. Our vision is not to "open the flood gates", but to open the gates period, and by doing so - put the ability of recognition in the hands of the prospective group.
Consider if you will for a minute how competition in all aspects of life pushes one to thrive. This same concept certainly applies to the Greek community at FGCU and any campus. Ammending the current policies and procedures to put the capacity of recognition in the hands of the students can be a relatively simple process.

If a nationally recognized interest group/colony/chapter that is unrecognized by the university & the university's IFC:

- Completes the checklist set forth by nationals (membership, GPA, community service hours, fundraising dollars per man, campus involvement, etc...).

- Is, at the least, 1/3 the size of the current largest fraternal chapter on campus.

- & shows, through presentation to the IFC, that they would be a beneficial asset to the community, the university, greek life, and the IFC.

... they should be allowed recognition, following the ideals of open expansion. Of course, the vote would be cast through the IFC delegates - but to accomplish the feats above is no simple task. While it ultimately puts the ability in the hands of those in pursuit, it also defends from "the flood gates opening". The concept, if possible to institute, would surely benefit all and draw harm to none. If possible, this is what I would personally like to see happen at Florida Gulf Coast University - with Kappa Sigma leading the way for that change.

So wait, you DO know how to properly come on campus, but you want to change it.....

See in the news cast it said you guys had no idea how to get "recognized".

Hmmmmm
Old 04-01-2010, 09:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Hello

Kappa Sigma has been established as The Colony of Fort Myers. Unfortunity not with the school. We are getting our Charter on April 17, 2010 where we will be initiated into Kappa Sigma as Brothers.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:04 AM

KSig Advisor-

What I am getting from your post is this: Kappa Sigma does not want to be PART of the NIC, but wants to use NIC POLICIES and expects SUPPORT from NIC when you backdoor a colony. Do I have that correct?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-01-2010, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

In case any of you want to watch the news coverage.
http://www.fox4now.com/Global/story.asp?S=12240364
http://www.fox4now.com/ and search FGCU and it comes up as the first couple links.

The process is simple as far as I understand. IFC votes to see if they want to expand. If they don't, they don't. If they do, they invite fraternitys on campus to present. This happened in 2008 when Sigma Chi came on campus.

I don't understand how they can say they "don't understand".
Old 04-01-2010, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

The FOX coverage was not 100% accurate. We know how the expansion process works and do indeed plan to change it in favor of an open expansion model. Undeniably, it would be advantageous for all parties if the policies and procedure were ammended in such a way. So, having said this - if Sigma Alpha Epsilon hears of the change in IFC's expansion policy and wants to come on, our Kappa Sigma delegate would vote in favor of this expansion (following procedures of open expansion). Our colony and our alumni recognize the bigger picture here. That picture being that it is not all about us... but also for other students and organizations down the road. Within the next five years, FGCU undergraduate enrollment is projected to increase by 5,000 students (from roughly 10,000 to 15,000). It is estimated that roughly 80% of all Southwest Florida high school graduates are enrolling at FGCU. The campus is evolving at such a streamline pace... enrollment, organizations, buildings, majors, etc. Why not greek life as well? It really is astonishing that Greek Life is being so conservative in the wake of such growth.

Last edited by K∑_PZ_AEKΔB; 04-01-2010 at 03:34 PM.